Statistics please....

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I heard something related to the idea that a higher % of people attacked by a knife die then the % of people attacked by guns.

I don't know how true this statistic is, but I am interested in some good knife stats.

So, for all you research buffs out there...get to work! ;)

Please post as many knife related stats that you can find here (with sources of course).

Thanks,

PAUL

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is a site with some statistics regarding LEO and knives:

http://www.folders-r-us.org/statistics.htm

Towards the bottom, they state 6 out of 10 gunshot victims die from sustained injuries 8 out of 10 knife attack victims die from sustained injuries, meaning that you have a 20% greater chance of living if you are shot then if you are stabbed.

Interesting, eh? Thats the one stat. I was looking for. Any others?

D

Disco

6 out of 10 gunshot victims die from sustained injuries 8 out of 10 knife attack victims die from sustained injuries.

You are 20 % more likely to die from a knife stab than from being shot in the Unites States.

1. Firearms [6,846 or 49 %]
2. Auto Accidents [2,090 or 15 %]
3. Motorcycle Accidents [1,022 or 7 %]
4. Struck by Vehicle [955 or 7 %]
5. Job-Related Illness [588 or 4 %]
6. Aircraft Accidents [311 or 2 %]
7. Stabbings [197 or 1 %]

The numbers shown don't equate to what the author is saying. Something is out of wack here.:idunno:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Disco
6 out of 10 gunshot victims die from sustained injuries 8 out of 10 knife attack victims die from sustained injuries.

You are 20 % more likely to die from a knife stab than from being shot in the Unites States.

1. Firearms [6,846 or 49 %]
2. Auto Accidents [2,090 or 15 %]
3. Motorcycle Accidents [1,022 or 7 %]
4. Struck by Vehicle [955 or 7 %]
5. Job-Related Illness [588 or 4 %]
6. Aircraft Accidents [311 or 2 %]
7. Stabbings [197 or 1 %]

The numbers shown don't equate to what the author is saying. Something is out of wack here.:idunno:

No they are jsut fine ;)

Out of the 6846 people shot 60% will die, or 4107.6

Out of the 197 people stabbed 80% will die or 157.6

The percentage is within the category of assault.

Does this help?

PS: Statistics do not lie, but some people sure can calculate statistics to present data in a certain way to make a point ;)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
Towards the bottom, they state 6 out of 10 gunshot victims die from sustained injuries 8 out of 10 knife attack victims die from sustained injuries, meaning that you have a 20% greater chance of living if you are shot then if you are stabbed.

Well, 20% more than 6 out of 10 means 7.2 out of 10. What you have is a difference of 20 percentage points, not twenty percent.

I wonder if people who are stabbed are apt to be stabbed several times whereas someone who is shot is more likely to be hit only once or twice?

These were attacks on LEOs, which may not be representative. If you attack a LEO you know you're attacking a person armed with a gun, who can call back-up, and who is used to confrontation. Attacks on them must be of a very particular type.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by dearnis.com
If these are attacks on LEOs then #s are skewed by the use of body armor.

The thing is, it doesn't really cite a source, or specify whether this stat. (6/10 die from guns, 8/10 die from knives) is confined only to LEO or not. Thats why I started this thread...I am looking for some more sources and supporting stats.

So...anyone got any?

:)

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
It might be too that when somebody attacks with a knife, they do so with a different mindset...perhaps greater savagery...resulting in more wounds. We hear about people being stabbed/slashed twenty times. We hardly ever hear about someone being shot twenty times. Okay...no New York cop jokes...

Then too, when people get shot, they often fall down...whether they need to or not. We've been somewhat conditioned to do that..."GAD! I'VE BEEN SHOT!" I've read where people have been stabbed and slashed and not even realized it. This could provoke an attacker to cut and stab more.

Regards,

Steve

Old Tiger

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think death from edged weapons results primarily from blood loss and shock as opposed to internal injury trauma.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Death from a gun shot is caused by blood loss or destruction of the CNS (a round between the running lights). Same for a knife.

Internal injury...say a stab to the kidney...typically causes death from blood loss. Same for damage to the heart. If the heart stops due to trauma, one could count that as blood loss even if the person didn't bleed out.

Regards,

Steve

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by hardheadjarhead
Then too, when people get shot, they often fall down...whether they need to or not. We've been somewhat conditioned to do that..."GAD! I'VE BEEN SHOT!" I've read where people have been stabbed and slashed and not even realized it. This could provoke an attacker to cut and stab more.

I'm not sure if I agree. In a situation where adrenaline is flowing you can be shot even more than once and not know it.

A good friend of mine was serving as a state trouper in Kentucky, when a routine stop turned into a fire fight. He was closing in on the suspect and was shot by another unseen suspect. The bullet entered his neck, went upwards into his mouth where is severed his tongue in two. It left through his left cheek.
He was obviously thrown to the ground, but then got back up and began to chase the suspects as they ran. It took two of his friends to tackle him and take him to the ambulance. He couldn't understand why they were restraining him until he got to the ambulance.
This may be a rare situation, but I can tell you story after story of people losing limbs or being severely injured and their adrenaline keeping them going. After all, thats what its there for, to keep you alive.

Originally posted by hardheadjarhead
Internal injury...say a stab to the kidney...typically causes death from blood loss. Same for damage to the heart. If the heart stops due to trauma, one could count that as blood loss even if the person didn't bleed out.

This may be picky, but trauma to the heart muscle causing it to stop kills someone faster than bleeding out does, so technically its not the same as bleeding out. There are internal injuries that can kill quickly, while bleeding out takes some time, comparativly.

7sm

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always heard that knives were more deadly because of puncture wounds or stabbings. The puncture wound is the hardest to prevent infection from. Contributing causes are organ shut down from direct trauma, blood loss from internal blood vessel damage, shock from the visual impact of the trauma, complications from internal bleeding like "sucking chest wounds", pressure build up from blood vessel damage and internal infection that is heard to reach and treat.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by OULobo
I always heard that knives were more deadly because of puncture wounds or stabbings. The puncture wound is the hardest to prevent infection from. Contributing causes are organ shut down from direct trauma, blood loss from internal blood vessel damage, shock from the visual impact of the trauma, complications from internal bleeding like "sucking chest wounds", pressure build up from blood vessel damage and internal infection that is heard to reach and treat.

Thats all true, but that is refering to an "after-the-fight" type of death. None of those are going to be the immediate kill that we are talking about. Infection is dangerous but in a self defense type situation the strategy changes.

7sm

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by 7starmantis
Thats all true, but that is refering to an "after-the-fight" type of death. None of those are going to be the immediate kill that we are talking about. Infection is dangerous but in a self defense type situation the strategy changes.

7sm

Ageed, but organ immediate organ failure from direct trauma and severe shock from visual impact. Also for the purpose of statistics "after-the-fight" deaths are still counted, in terms of death by knife. I also wanted to add that gunshot wounds can be a little better to treat because of the exiting action of the bullet and the possible cauterizing effect of the bullet.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by OULobo
Ageed, but organ immediate organ failure from direct trauma and severe shock from visual impact. Also for the purpose of statistics "after-the-fight" deaths are still counted, in terms of death by knife. I also wanted to add that gunshot wounds can be a little better to treat because of the exiting action of the bullet and the possible cauterizing effect of the bullet.

Have you ever seen an average exit wound for a .38 bullet? If there is an exit wound it is usually severe and not in any way easy to treat. Trust me, I've had my fingers in them before to stop bleeding in transit. Its a myth that bullets cauterize, they do not. If there is any from heat it is not helpful in any way in saving the life or limb of the victum.

I see that after the fact deaths are still counted, I wasn't thinking in terms of statistics, which is the topic of this discussion, my mistake.

7sm

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My history professor used to always stress that there were three kinds of lies:

1) Lies
2) Damn lies
3) Statistics

Cthulhu

Latest Discussions