During pandemic lockdown have you found any new hobbies or things that you really enjoy doing?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Am I the only one who immediately thought of the scene from Forrest Gump?
Nope. First thing I thought too.

Edit: Maybe I should’ve hit disagree instead of agree, because you weren’t the only one? :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's awesome Xue, had no idea you played :). Any particular styles of music you like playing?

When I played I played mostly rock and blues with a dash of metal. I then started to transition to classical and then.......quit.....but I'm thinking blues type stuff now..however I have discovered that after so many years not really playing and multiple false restarts....to quote BB King....My fingers is stupid

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nope. First thing I thought too.

Edit: Maybe I should’ve hit disagree instead of agree, because you weren’t the only one? :)

Nope, wrong, it was just him...admit it :D

It pain me to admit this, I tend to get such references, but I actually do not get that one

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know what time it would be where you are but Joe Wicks ( a fitness instructor well known over here) does a morning half hour PE session live on You Tube. it's meant to be for children but lots of families are joining in and he gives a shout to them via his brother, it's not intensive and it extremely good fun so your other half might enjoy that more to start off with. the are on Mon-Fri and they are recorded so you can do them in your own time. It's a very good 'starting' point for those who don't usually do fitness. Lots of people all around the world joining it. How to watch Joe Wicks' live YouTube PE sessions and when are they on? | Metro News

Thanks but he isn't letting her off that easy...lol

No Pains....No Gains....lol

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Spring flush is here. This means we have a ton of project going on at the farms. Finding something to do is never a problem here. It is finding time to do nothing that is tough this time of year.
With all colleges/universities and pro teams shut down due to the virus, our son is not doing his regular job right now. We put him on the payroll while he is home. He is a very good son who I am so very proud of. Has very good work ethic. With me being hamstringed from surgery/infection it a huge benefit to have him here.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Nope, wrong, it was just him...admit it :D

It pain me to admit this, I tend to get such references, but I actually do not get that one
There's a section of the movie where he just starts running, and doesn't stop. Becomes a national phenomenon. And then he just stops suddenly for no real reason.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks but he isn't letting her off that easy...lol

No Pains....No Gains....lol

ah well just remember if she can't do anything because she's aching too much there's more for you to do.... happy wife, happy life. :D

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I played I played mostly rock and blues with a dash of metal. I then started to transition to classical and then.......quit.....but I'm thinking blues type stuff now..however I have discovered that after so many years not really playing and multiple false restarts....to quote BB King....My fingers is stupid
Well clearly moving into Classical was where you went wrong. It killed your desire to play. Get back into the rock and metal (and a little blues). That what the guitar was invented for.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well clearly moving into Classical was where you went wrong. It killed your desire to play. Get back into the rock and metal (and a little blues). That what the guitar was invented for.

Likely, because about 5 years ago I realized, as I picked up the classical guitar and starting working with classical again (only to stop in a few days) that I liked listening to classical much more than trying to play it. But even this time I started down the same road....then stopped, regretted trading in my Guild electric years ago, put the classical back in the case...picked up my acoustic...put that pack in the case after a couple minutes...and then picked up my old Vantage, put on new strings and started playing. May not last, but I have time at the moment so I think I shall go work on some simple blues scales and se what I can do with the "Hendrix" Chord (E7#9)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Likely, because about 5 years ago I realized, as I picked up the classical guitar and starting working with classical again (only to stop in a few days) that I liked listening to classical much more than trying to play it. But even this time I started down the same road....then stopped, regretted trading in my Guild electric years ago, put the classical back in the case...picked up my acoustic...put that pack in the case after a couple minutes...and then picked up my old Vantage, put on new strings and started playing. May not last, but I have time at the moment so I think I shall go work on some simple blues scales and se what I can do with the "Hendrix" Chord (E7#9)
Nothing like a couple power chords to keep ya movin’!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What does that translate to, please?

Have to be careful with the cookies, I left some for Santa once.

He hasn’t left my house in nine years.
Cookies
Das Keks, die Kekse. I suppose a bastardization of cakes

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awesome... that's a really diverse background! Totally different styles of playing, very cool, ease back into it slowly. Trust me, the fingers will remember :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've had some time to dig into some genealogy research. My wife's maternal grandmother used to tell stories about her dad, who was a riverboat gambler who was shot and pushed off a cliff. While I can't corroborate that, I did find that he had another family who know nothing about my wife's family, who are genetically related as close as 2nd cousin. While I have photos of him as an older man, these guys have photos of him in his 20s. His first wife is listed as a widow in the 1910 census, which leads me to wonder if she left him, he left her, or he faked his death.

Also, I love the names. My wife's grandmother was Audrey Pearl. Her siblings were names Otis, Clyde, Bessie, Fern, Daisy, and Emma Lucille. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dug out my sewing stuff, need to make sure the machine actually works.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've had some time to dig into some genealogy research. My wife's maternal grandmother used to tell stories about her dad, who was a riverboat gambler who was shot and pushed off a cliff. While I can't corroborate that, I did find that he had another family who know nothing about my wife's family, who are genetically related as close as 2nd cousin. While I have photos of him as an older man, these guys have photos of him in his 20s. His first wife is listed as a widow in the 1910 census, which leads me to wonder if she left him, he left her, or he faked his death.

Also, I love the names. My wife's grandmother was Audrey Pearl. Her siblings were names Otis, Clyde, Bessie, Fern, Daisy, and Emma Lucille. :)

That's an awesome story, right there.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have a friend whose hobby is genealogy, she often will do family trees for other people but always warns them before she starts that she may find things they could find shocking or things hidden for years because it would upset the family.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have a friend whose hobby is genealogy, she often will do family trees for other people but always warns them before she starts that she may find things they could find shocking or things hidden for years because it would upset the family.
That's undoubtedly true. We've had a few surprises. I think one of my mom's brothers, my Uncle Joe, had an affair and had a child who didn't know. She shows up as a 1st cousin for me, and a "close relative" to my mom, but we have no idea who she is. One of my other cousins has reached out to her, but she hasn't responded back.

Another surprise we had was that my dad always thought he was half German heritage and half Norwegian. His dad came from Germany as a young boy, and his mom from Norway. Well, come to find out that genetically, he's like 98% Scandinavian. I guess all of the folks on his Dad's side came from a region of Prussia that once belonged to Sweden, and just by virtue of governments shifting, became German by default.

I should clarify that my mom is the one who takes this very seriously, and I've been learning the ropes from her to primarily focus on my wife's family. Recently, since my daughter got married, I have been researching his family, as well. They've been in America since the 1600s, and so there is a lot of information available. Now, his family has some colorful characters in it, including at least one guy who was branded a pirate by the crown for fishing illegally off the coast of Nova Scotia (among other things).

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been hesitant to go the genealogy route. My friends say they've already done it for me and that I'm related to Reverend Jim from Taxi and Kramer from Steinfield.

I'm hesitant because they may be correct.

Latest Discussions