I hate to admit it but I am a what they call "collect a paycheck employee".

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hate to admit it but I am a what they call "collect a paycheck employee". Im not late and show up to work. Do my basic job duties. But I don't ever advance in my career. Seems I don't have the motivation or drive to really dedicate myself to advancing in my career and learning new things. I take jobs that are easy and not challenging me.

I work as a Bus Driver at the moment. Ok job and I have certainly had worse jobs but not going to get rich doing it and I dont see much room for. Sure I guess I could get promoted to a manager or trainer but I don't have much motivation to go for that.

I guess a lot of it comes down to I have not found a career I have a "passion" for. I have some mental health issues as well I have tried to address in the past through therapy / medication.. Mostly an anxiety disorder. Mostly in social settings. But stress I don't handle to well in general to say the least. A stressful job like sales or a job giving presentations would be a no go with my social anxiety unless I vastly improve in that area.

Seems like I pretty much just go through the motions at work. Anyway can anybody relate and how have you improved or any advice you can give? Thanks

What they don't tell you growing up, sometimes it's enough to have a job you don't hate!
Having passion for your job is a great thing, but it doesn't happen all that often!

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In that context I agree. But there are many income making ventures that can be someone's passion. And, how are you going to travel or even enjoy certain hobbies without some coin in your pocket?
If your passion cannot make a living then, just like in most techniques in MA's, there has to be a balance. If not life in general will become distasteful.

Agree you have to make money to pursue their passions. If your passion is world travel or flipping real estate or playing golf you need money to pursue these passions. So that's what I try to do is use my job to fund the things that make my life more enjoyable

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
any advice you can give? Thanks
Opportunity can only be given to those who is well prepared. In order to prepare yourself, you have to do a lot of homework.

Old saying said, "Instead of looking at the fish in the river, it's better to stay home and fix your fishing net."

Try to make yourself to be prepared. There is no other ways.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Opportunity can only be given to those who is well prepared. In order to prepare yourself, you have to do a lot of homework.

Old saying said, "Instead of looking at the fish in the river, it's better to stay home and fix your fishing net."

Try to make yourself to be prepared. There is no other ways.
Excellent quote Wang.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Agree you have to make money to pursue their passions. If your passion is world travel or flipping real estate or playing golf you need money to pursue these passions. So that's what I try to do is use my job to fund the things that make my life more enjoyable
That’s a very common attitude these days. I see it a lot in younger employees. I see a lot of younger folks work for a while, and then think nothing of quitting to go on a multi month walkabout, or go from job to job. I guess short term, the idea is to live big while you’re young enough to enjoy it, but long term, I would worry that it would leave you unprepared for retirement.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I remember working when a senior VP at the Federal Reserve was retiring the next day. He had been working there for 57 years and had only missed six days that whole time, three of them from a car accident. He walked up to me and said, "Buka, what the hell is the matter with me?"

I replied, "Sir?"

He said, "You've experienced far more in life than I have, I know your file well. And I envy you. What the hell was I thinking working my life away, I could have financially retired comfortably twenty years ago. I'm a damn fool."

I didn't know what to say.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I remember working when a senior VP at the Federal Reserve was retiring the next day. He had been working there for 57 years and had only missed six days that whole time, three of them from a car accident. He walked up to me and said, "Buka, what the hell is the matter with me?"

I replied, "Sir?"

He said, "You've experienced far more in life than I have, I know your file well. And I envy you. What the hell was I thinking working my life away, I could have financially retired comfortably twenty years ago. I'm a damn fool."

I didn't know what to say.

Yep that is the situation I don't want to end up in. That's why I try to travel and do as many things while im still relatively young (42 now) and Im in good enough health to enjoy. I try to travel and make at least 1 international trip per year. Figure I would enjoy Paris or Tokyo a lot more when im 42 instead of 72

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yep that is the situation I don't want to end up in. That's why I try to travel and do as many things while im still relatively young (42 now) and Im in good enough health to enjoy. I try to travel and make at least 1 international trip per year. Figure I would enjoy Paris or Tokyo a lot more when im 42 instead of 72
If you’re not thinking about saving some dough now, my advice would be to start. At 42, it’s probably time to start thinking about when you can’t or don’t want to work anymore.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you’re not thinking about saving some dough now, my advice would be to start. At 42, it’s probably time to start thinking about when you can’t or don’t want to work anymore.

Saving money I have always been pretty good at for much of my adult life. Always tried to save 10 to 15 percent of my income off the top. So don't think I will be forced to eat dog food when I retire.