I hate to admit it but I am a what they call "collect a paycheck employee".

Discussion in 'The Locker Room Bar & Grill' started by Chrisinmd, Nov 24, 2019.

1. granfire

granfire Sr. Grandmaster

What they don't tell you growing up, sometimes it's enough to have a job you don't hate!
    Having passion for your job is a great thing, but it doesn't happen all that often!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Chrisinmd

Chrisinmd Green Belt

Agree you have to make money to pursue their passions. If your passion is world travel or flipping real estate or playing golf you need money to pursue these passions. So that's what I try to do is use my job to fund the things that make my life more enjoyable

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

Some people live to work, and some work to live. Nothing wrong with either approach.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

Opportunity can only be given to those who is well prepared. In order to prepare yourself, you have to do a lot of homework.

Old saying said, "Instead of looking at the fish in the river, it's better to stay home and fix your fishing net."

Try to make yourself to be prepared. There is no other ways.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Excellent quote Wang.

6. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

That’s a very common attitude these days. I see it a lot in younger employees. I see a lot of younger folks work for a while, and then think nothing of quitting to go on a multi month walkabout, or go from job to job. I guess short term, the idea is to live big while you’re young enough to enjoy it, but long term, I would worry that it would leave you unprepared for retirement.

7. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I remember working when a senior VP at the Federal Reserve was retiring the next day. He had been working there for 57 years and had only missed six days that whole time, three of them from a car accident. He walked up to me and said, "Buka, what the hell is the matter with me?"

I replied, "Sir?"

He said, "You've experienced far more in life than I have, I know your file well. And I envy you. What the hell was I thinking working my life away, I could have financially retired comfortably twenty years ago. I'm a damn fool."

I didn't know what to say.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Chrisinmd

Chrisinmd Green Belt

Yep that is the situation I don't want to end up in. That's why I try to travel and do as many things while im still relatively young (42 now) and Im in good enough health to enjoy. I try to travel and make at least 1 international trip per year. Figure I would enjoy Paris or Tokyo a lot more when im 42 instead of 72

9. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

If you’re not thinking about saving some dough now, my advice would be to start. At 42, it’s probably time to start thinking about when you can’t or don’t want to work anymore.

10. Chrisinmd

Chrisinmd Green Belt

Saving money I have always been pretty good at for much of my adult life. Always tried to save 10 to 15 percent of my income off the top. So don't think I will be forced to eat dog food when I retire.123

• Like Like x 2