Gained my Kenpo black belt tonight

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I'd stopped training kenpo a long time ago but always practiced the art as part of my training schedule and recently I started going back to a small club. It's a very small place which has aboht 8 kids and 6 adults who are all brown and black belts so its not a huge club and the instructor probably loses more money than he's making but it shows he's legit because he doesn't care he's paying out more than he's making because he just loves the art and loves teaching and I've enjoyed it because its constantly a high level class because everyone there's experienced and we don't need to slow down for lower belts. But anyway I'd been training at the weekend with them and we did a big blitz did everything every form every technique in the system. I assumed the guys just wanted to work out but seems it was a test for me and tonight they presented me with the belt. I was completely surprised and had no idea that was a test. They probably didn't me because I'd said when I came back I had no interest in testing I just wanted to train but well they decided to give it to me and I was very happy about it because really it was the one small regret I had in my career not getting it but I assumed I was to old to be getting involved of it but I'm proud that I managed to achieve one more thing in the martial arts world.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats! That's how tests should be performed.
Yeah I've got a lot of respect for the guy who runs it. He's a very soft spoken guy no arrogance about him at all and he's not a guy who likes to run 100 techniques a night without saying anything he'd rather do maybe 6 or 7 a night but actually spend time on each one so you know exactly what your doing. There's no sparring in the club because there's really not the numbers to do it but there's pad work using the kicking shield which is fun. It's a more technical place where things are broken down than a rough and tumble gym and I guess some would find it boring but I love it and I wish I'd started there because I wouldn't have stopped if I was.

I also love the guys attitude about money I mean he's losing money he probably makes about 25 pound a session maybe if that so he's paying out his own pocket for the hall but he doesn't really promote his club. There's no adverts in the papers and it doesn't have a website, I think he just likes his small group of brown and black belts to train with. Not that he'd not accept new students but its not a priority he just loves the art and he said he doesn't want to prostitute the art by getting hundreds in and not being able to teach everyone equally.

Tortoise

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I'd stopped training kenpo a long time ago but always practiced the art as part of my training schedule and recently I started going back to a small club. It's a very small place which has aboht 8 kids and 6 adults who are all brown and black belts so its not a huge club and the instructor probably loses more money than he's making but it shows he's legit because he doesn't care he's paying out more than he's making because he just loves the art and loves teaching and I've enjoyed it because its constantly a high level class because everyone there's experienced and we don't need to slow down for lower belts. But anyway I'd been training at the weekend with them and we did a big blitz did everything every form every technique in the system. I assumed the guys just wanted to work out but seems it was a test for me and tonight they presented me with the belt. I was completely surprised and had no idea that was a test. They probably didn't me because I'd said when I came back I had no interest in testing I just wanted to train but well they decided to give it to me and I was very happy about it because really it was the one small regret I had in my career not getting it but I assumed I was to old to be getting involved of it but I'm proud that I managed to achieve one more thing in the martial arts world.

Congratulations!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You a man of the cloth now. Congrats, bro!

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
As much as we sometimes say a black belt doesn't mean anything, it does mean something in your heart and more so when it's from someone you respect. Congratulations.

Latest Discussions