Dojo Darlings

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

but I prefer not to have to discipline anyone in the first place!!

:asian:

A couple of questions for ya: what do you do when all it is the kids want to do is dance around and play? Your trying to teach them a front kick or some kind of punch and they start yelling and dancing.

Or

Your trying to teach a class and they start hitting and jumping on the bags and other equipment?

This is where I look like the bad guy cause I tell them to knock it off. I know they're just being kids though so what to do?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never let them do that in the first place. When class starts they come to attention or time out and get benched. or clean the bathroom or take out trash or Kaiaii practice.....

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... the old Iron Fist in the silk glove approach. I try to head them off at the pass also. Since I still keep a smaller club size studio instead of the larger commercial type class, I can do a lot by refocusing them and/or giving them some individual attention in the context of a group class, but sometimes they love doing the circuit training on bags, kicking sheilds, & more bags. Sometimes they will be "bear crawling", "crab walk", "wheel barrow walking" or "frog jumping" around the mat.

I usually have a much more focused class and generally get a lot more material taught after this kind of workout. Sometimes they just run lines, or I have a team competition with kicks or hand / elbow basics. There are lots of ways to redirect and focus the class in general, or one or two hyper kids, without it being detrimental to the rest of the class.

It takes more energy and committment for any kids class ... especially when you strive to make it the most positive environment you can - while still learning Kenpo.

Have Fun, that usually helps the kiddo's have fun.
-Michael B.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... ironing your palm, which I did the other day when I needed a shirt and my wife was not around ... on reflection, she is never around "to iron." That's why I go to the cleaners; maybe I need to iron this out with her? Ironic huh?

Feels like she keeps me in irons,
Yours in shackles,
-Michael:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have this hidden problem ... sometimes I am a closet punster. I have learned that it is best to keep this addiction from the public eye ... especially when entertaining new student's parents at the school. What I think is hilarious, may not be quite as funny as I THOUGHT it was. PA, Punsters Anonymous (or is it passive-aggressive) has given me lots of support, but I am unable to always control the rampant flow of sheer Bullstuff that wants to come out of my mouth. With the help and support of my friends (they groan a lot) I continue to try to just SHUT UP!!

-MB :soapbox:

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Actually, I came on the Kempo forum to find out what in the world Kempo is (I still have no clue!) and I started reading this thread.

I feel VERY refreshed hearing all or most of you guys talking about disciplining your kids! Something I feel quite strong about. Mostly because I work in a small daycare and I hate seeing how the kids walk all over their parents! My mom spanked me when I was little and she did it out of love and I have told her several times that I appreciated that! My dad never did ANYTHING (hope he doesn't see this) and to this day, if he tells me I should do something, I feel resentment inside of me and my first thought is "who are you to be telling me....". I know that's not right but I have both sides of correct discipline and NO discipline from my parents and well, now I feel like my dad didn't care enough to do his job as a parent. :( I very much respect all you guys on this thread who (I feel) love your kids enough to do what's best for them.

Sorry. As I said, I feel quite strongly about that subject. :soapbox: I've also seen many parents drop their kids off at some dojo/dojang and using it like the daycare. Frustrating! :soapbox:

ANYWAY... I still have no idea what Kempo is! At first I thought it was a sword art. I might be thinking of Kendo there.

Robyn :)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your comments are truthful and honest. We appreciate and welcome you to our area. Kendo is the art of sword play....... but Kenpo is an American Martial Arts system developed by Ed Parker.

Yes, anyone that is a "lifer" or serious in the martial arts will tell you that discipline is one of the most important factors in teaching. Without it we have little room to advance and keep control of classes.

Come in and comment often!

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Golden Dragon7!!!!

But that still doesn't answer my question about Kenpo! Is it an art that combines many other arts and techniques? :confused:

Robyn :asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kenpo was developed by the late SGM Ed K. Parker based upon Logic, and practically. It is truly the first American Developed System on American soil vs a transplanted art from another country. I'm surprised you have not heard of Kenpo Before.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Little question requires a big answer, but I will try to cut to the chase. Kenpo combines some of the circular movement found in Kung-Fu, Aikido, or Jui-Jitsu and combines them with the linear actions of Karate and Boxing. It was synthasized into a very structured, analytical striking system. It is probably more associated with hands than kicks, but by the time you include the sweeps, buckles, leg checks, maneuvers, scoops, hooks, etc - I think I work on a 50% hand & 50% legs.

A good video available commercially is "The Perfect Weapon" starring Jeff Speakman. He was a 4th Degree Black Belt at the time of the filming, and Blockbuster usually has it in stock, or can get it.

It is primarily a self-defense system that utilizes "techniques" which are usually more sophisticated than the "one-steps" block-strikes Tae-Kwon-Do teaches, or "katas" as practiced in Kendo. Our forms or katas, tend to be self-defense techniques strung together in a pattern against multiple attackers, combinations (e.g. jab-cross or kick-punch, etc.) We use Contact Manipulations as we enter into a close range combat situation. This includes joint locks or immobilizations, breaks, dislocations, pain compliance, and pressure points. Instead of "take downs" we tend to utilize strike downs in anticipation of the possibility of there being more than one attacker. I know Aikido also works with multiple opponents.

Weapons vary. In American Kenpo you always find staff, knife, double sticks (a little shorter usually than escrima sticks), nunchaku, sometimes spears and jo's.

Chinese Kenpo is a more circular version focusing on much larger circles looking more Kung-Fuey, includes chinese saber, spear, Quan-Do, etc. These forms and weapons are often "borrowed" from a traditional Kung-Fu system such as Hung-Gar or Choy-Li-Fut.

American Kenpo focuses on HOW YOU MOVE and smaller circles with a lot of whipping power. We focus on controlling all 3 Dimensions, height, width and depth. There are principles, concept, theories, and strategies that are well explicated and articulated. There is always an explanation as to "Why" you do something in American Kenpo and I really like that.

There is lots of information on the web regarding Kenpo. You can start by seeing my web page kenpo-texas.com or go to goldendragon7's home page for more info, from there ... there are links to hundreds of web pages. You could spend a lifetime, and some people do, just answering your question of "What is Kenpo".

Thanks for checking out our forum. Enjoy your Art and training, we all do!

Michael B.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
WoW!!!

Thanks for spending the time to tell me about Kenpo, Mr. Billings! Cool websites (both you and Golden Dragon7)! Nice picture, Mr. Billings! ;) Sounds like Kenpo is a good combination of everything a person should know to defend themselves!

Thanks to all of you who voted and posted on my thread over on the General Topics! :)

Robyn :asian:

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
P.S.---that's right Golden Dragon7, this WAS the first time I've heard of kenpo! :eek: Maybe I'm sheltered. :confused:

Thanks again!

Robyn:boing2:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Not only that, but we also share meals, just don't get your hands too close to one of our plates. That is the true reason why a Kenpoist hands are sooooo fast, it's either that or eat fish heads.

Latest Discussions