Dojo Darlings

OP
R

Rob_Broad

When I had my full time school up and running I was not bothered often by the parents when I was teaching because i had a parent viewing room, they were on the other side of a wall with a large window so they could watch class and the children could not hear them. Later I replace the glass with a one way mirror so the parents could look in but the kids couldn't see the parents it worked out ok. I made it a policy that if the parents had something they needed/wanted to discuss they ad to book an appointment for a time when I was not teaching. I found that a parent didn't want to talk to me during their child's class, but they didn't mind taking up the time of the class after that. So I made it policy to only discuss matters with them when I was not scheduled to be on the floor.

I made it very clear that if a parent question what I was teaching while I was on the floor that they and their child would be asked to leave with out refund. I let them know that when they had a black belt and my yrs of experince that they could then comment about the class. I had no problems answering a question with asking questions about why and how we doing things during a scheduled appointment, but stupid things like why isn't my Johny a Black Belt yet or them telling me how to do my job was not acceptable and they knew it.

OP
R

RCastillo

All the problems that are described on this thread remind me of my current job as a High School Teacher. Boy, do I go through hell. If the parents aren't ready to sue, it's the administrators that have no guts to back up their people. Many of the students that have no values, and every expectation that they are owed something, and not required to earn it. That's why Texas has had 40,000 openings the last 2 years, and, this is why I don't want to teach MA to children. It's my last sanctuary as an adult, where I can truly be professional, and feel good about myself.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by RCastillo

All the problems that are described on this thread remind me of my current job as a High School Teacher. Boy, do I go through hell. If the parents aren't ready to sue, it's the administrators that have no guts to back up their people. Many of the students that have no values, and every expectation that they are owed something, and not required to earn it. That's why Texas has had 40,000 openings the last 2 years, and, this is why I don't want to teach MA to children. It's my last sanctuary as an adult, where I can truly be professional, and feel good about myself.

That could also be a reason why Texas is ranked so low in
education.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Kirk

That could also be a reason why Texas is ranked so low in
education.

:eek: Gee Kirk, I hope that wasn't for me. I wasn't wearing a cup this time! LOL Besides. if Mr. Conatser gets wind of this , it'll be be like a shark feeding frenzy:eek:

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by RCastillo

:eek: Gee Kirk, I hope that wasn't for me. I wasn't wearing a cup this time! LOL Besides. if Mr. Conatser gets wind of this , it'll be be like a shark feeding frenzy:eek:

:rofl: :rofl: LOL!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: Apologies Sir!

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Bonehead

Gou, your manners aren't that bad. besides when your wife is around you are very well behaved.

In all honesty for any of you who haven't met Gou, he is one of the nicest and polite people you coould meet. If you ever get the chance to meet him, do so, and consider your self a lucky person.
Ask him about the "HotDog outside the Hockey Game" incident.....

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I guess I'm not very diplomatic....I tell new/prospective students" In here, you will show respect to all. This is not open to negotiation. You will either respect me or you will fear me, the choice is yours." Now, in the rest of the world, respect is commanded, not demanded. So far I have been lucky, with 20 students in the dojo, I have not had to resort to making them fear me. At the college where I have run through 150 students so far, I have had to resort to making ONE fear me. He argued everytime I tried to teach a technique and told me that in his vast experience as a red belt in TKD, that a spear hand is ineffective....He had 4 finger tip shape bruises on his chest when he got up......

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
are remembered........

"To hear is to Doubt......
To see is to be Deceived.....
But Brutha.....
TO FEEL........ IS TO BELIEVE!!"

:asian:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the studio I train at, we try to get the whole family involved. If a parent is training as well, they understand more than if they are just watching. If they experience it, they have a better understanding of how and why things are done in class. We have a large childrens' class, and personally, I have never seen a parent try to interfere. Most of the time they are observing with interest, and if the kid messes up, the instructor first corrects them gently, and if they screw up again, they do push-ups. I've never seen a parent ever object because they train as well and they know that their child is not being singled out and that the instructor is just upholding our standards and policy.

Personally, when I've been teaching, I've had to bench a child for not paying attention, being wild, or whatever. The child can choose to apologize after ten minutes or so (and then be allowed to return), or they can sit and sulk, it makes no difference to me as long as they aren't interfering with the other children's instruction. Every time I've benched a child, the parent has supported me completely.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sure...we call it benching because it literally means that they park their tail on the bench til the instructor says otherwise.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good idea. If its ok, I want to borrow the term also for my classes. "Benching" has far fewer negative connotations.

I have also had kids run laps of the inside of the school, so that they are exercising, maybe getting some of the hyperactivity out, and they see what they are missing, while still doing something "good for them" (Like pushups improving your punch.)

Kudos,
-Michael
UKS-Texas

OP
G

GouRonin

Stop hitting me everytime you see me!
:jediduel:

OP
G

GouRonin

You hit steaks to tenderize them...NOT PEOPLE!
:cuss:

Latest Discussions