Does Size Matter?

OP
K

Kirk

Careful fist ... don't make me sick chungmoo warrior on you!

:samurai:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Size is something you have very little control over. Your focus should rather be on maxamizing your skill level and abilities tailored to the size God gave you. Develop skills that will be useful for your personal attributes.

There are great Martial Artists in all different forms of all different sizes.

You know what I always say.........

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the way you ride your bicycle!
:D

OP
C

clapping_tiger

Size does matter but yet it doesn't. IF 2 fighters were untrained then the odds will be in the favor of the larger man. But yet anything can happen on the street. You take out a large mans knee, hey it's all over. The smaller man will be lighter on his feet and therefore be harder to catch. But yet all the big man has to do is get in one solid punch, but if they are equal, the smaller man should be faster and be able to move and counter and strike the groin. You could play this debate all day; it is the classic yin-yang theory. In the end it all boils down to who wants it the most and who has more to lose. Like the quote from some movie I can't remember. Who do you put your money on the fox or the rabbit? Put your money on the rabbit. The fox is only running for his dinner, the rabbit is running for his life.

OP
R

Ronin

In my humble experience I have learned height doesnt play too much of a role, I will say that attitude it what makes people succeed. As a police officer, I have always fought two kinds of people drunk and the mentally unstable. Both of which can dont give a dang about whose taller only that they try to kick your A**. Being 5'8" myself I battled internal demons as a youth over my height but after seeing the damage a short competitor did at the internationals to his opponent made me realize height and weight arent factors that should be given too much thought. That again is my humble opinion. Now if it was Shaq against Papa Smurf I'd say maybe Shaq has the edge. But then again Papa Smurf beat Gargamel all the time. Who knows? One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ronin

As a police officer, I have always fought two kinds of people drunk and the mentally unstable.

What have you learned about taking down a person who is apt to be large and insensitive to pain?

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

What have you learned about taking down a person who is apt to be large and insensitive to pain?

There are ways of taking this person down. But I belive when the physical differance between uke and tori is great good technice is nessary. Remember pain is not the way to do technics, but a helpful tool.

Concerning the knee-cap.... shot him in the hands too.... He'll rember every time he uses his hands.... :rofl:

/Yari

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm fortunate enough to be one of those large guys who have a high pain thresh-hold. Its always been fun for me to be new in a class and have people attempt to do wristlocks on me and see no reaction. Simple advice to the person that has to deal with someone like me.... Don't discount that wristlock! Sure, there are people whose wrist you will latch onto and with the tiniest bit of pressure they will be screaming for their mommies. Then there are those people who you try your best wristlock on and they'll look at you like your stupid. Just because you get that reaction, don't let up on the hold. Place his wrist at different angles. The technique really begins to work when the hand is at 45 degrees from the shoulder. That is the nice side of the effective range. If its closer than 45 most of the torque is going into the elbow and the weight distribution allows the big guy to be more set to absorb the punishment. If 45 degrees don't work, go "mean" at 90 degrees.
If you can't get him to do so much as wince, still keep ahold of the lock. If you provide enough torque to the wrist and its gonna break... it doesn't matter if the guy can feel it or not, its gonna break.
In class you can't break his wrist 'cause thats just plain mean, but you should know at what point he should be writhing in pain and so you let up. Becareful when you have him use the technique in the beginning. Without feeling the pain he isn't going to properly respect the technique and will be a little rougher with it than someone who knows the pain of a wristlock intimately.
If on the street and you don't want to break his wrist, keep ahold of the technique, use an inside elbow to the solar plexus and then thread his elbow between your forearm and bicept. Drop your outside hand to grab his wrist and then grab your own wrist with your inside hand and apply an armlock/keylock/shoulder lock. Its possible that he will be able to feel pain in his shoulder but not his wrist. Or for a more basic response, just change direction and try for an armbar or inverted wristlock/"S" Lock. If you try all of your joint manipulations and strikes and nothing seems to be phasing him, start ripping off his skin to see what model of terminator he is so that the authorities know which missile to use... then run.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Turner

If you try all of your joint manipulations and strikes and nothing seems to be phasing him, start ripping off his skin to see what model of terminator he is so that the authorities know which missile to use... then run.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

/Yari

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I heard Arnold has gone into pest control. He no longer does Movies.

Now he is the............

ready.......

X-Terminnator

:rofl:

:asian:

OP
K

Kirk

Originally Posted By GD7
Now he is the............

ready.......

X-Terminnator

Boooooooooooo! Hisssssssssssss!!!

:biggun:

OP
K

Kirk

I would've thrown tomatoes, but I like my *** exactly where it is,
thank you very much. :D

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by Kirk

I would've thrown tomatoes, but I like my *** exactly where it is,
thank you very much. :D
On your shoulders:D

OP
K

Kirk

:armed: :knight: :duel: :zap: :bird: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OP
K

kickyou

Sure size matters..The bigger they are the lower and harder I hit.But no matter how big a guy is I have yet to see one stay on their feet and not have tears in their eyes when I decide to punt their groin into the next state.Size matters in the way that I fight that individual,for a medium or small opponent I start with some simple moves and work my way up to the hardcore stuff, but when they are huge I simply go to the hardcore stuff so that I can get them off their feet and down to my level.

Latest Discussions