Does Size Matter?

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
If your feeling froggy.....Jump!!!

Of course high school mascott in the area is a GreenBack.

~~Salute~~ :asian:

Jeremy

OP
T

tonbo

Way, way, back in my youth, I worked as a waiter in a Mexican restaurant. One of the cooks used that phrase all the time:

"Anytime you're feeling froggy, buddy.....just jump!!"

My wife loves that one. She thinks the imagery is too funny.....and I gotta agree...;)

There's a song my dad used to sing (an old folksong) that had another one I like:

"I got one fist of iron, the other of steel, and if the first don't getcha, then the second one will"

Peace--

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the quote you were referring to was Seig's, not mine.

However, to answer your other question, Mr. Brock has been training me off and on since I was 14. Been training in kenpo off and on since age 10... damn...13 years total...just realized I've been doing karate more than half my life. LOL. I feel old now.

OP
B

Battousai

One fun way to practice gun disarms is with paint guns.

One of my friends tried it, with a gun held to his face (I assume he had the paint gear face thing on), 1 or 2 feet away. He told the shooter to fire as soon as he saw him move. They did ten shots, and the defender got hit once in the shoulder.

The way I think about gun disarmament techniques is like the child's game, were two kids hold their hands out. Kid 1 has their palms facing upward, and kid 2 has their palms facing downward (kid 2's hands are held above kid 1's). Then kid 1 tries to slap one or both of kid 2's hands (you slap the top of kid 2's hands). Generally kid 1 hit's kid 2's hands about 90% of the time.

I think of this as an illustration directly analogous to gun disarmament. Whenever the gun is at close range its all about who moves first.

Usually the gunman will not even be expecting you to try anything. My school teaches not to look them in the eyes and to put your hands up and act defeated. From the front or sides at close range (1 to 3 feet) your hands go up so that the middle of your forearms are on level with the barrel of the gun.

With the child's game the other kid is watching intently, waiting to try to move his/her hands without getting hit. But the distance that the slapper's hands have to cover is minimal. With the gun the hands have to travel a greater distance, but the attacker is not suspecting any resistance.

It all boils down to who moves first, if both attacker and defender have the same reaction speed its hard to tell who will win. The trained martial artist should have a higher reaction speed though, compaired to the street thug.

Another method of training that higher belts can do is to shoot each other with blow backs, (I think thats what they are called, like the rubber bullets mentioned above).

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Practicing with paintball guns is all fine and good, I'll do that when I get a class going... but why do all gun counters <I despise the word defense, it makes me feel like a victim, which I never want to be.> used by martial artists require that you are within a few feet of the guy. What are you supposed to do if the person is standing 10 to 30 feet away? What are you supposed to do if he does the old "keep-the gun-concealed-in-the-pocket-and-shoot-through-the-cloth" deal which locks the gun in his hand to where you'd have almost an impossible time disarming him?

At 10-30 feet:
RUN AWAY! The average human being is a notoriously bad shot when it comes to hitting a moving target. It becomes increasingly harder to hit a target that is moving. Fighter pilots preparing for dogfights recognize that the proper angle is imperative in survival. Your vision is an open ended triangle. When people are close their bodies are wedged in the closed end and are easy to hit, but as they move away their bodies become smaller and fill a smaller and smaller number of degrees. So picking the proper degree to shoot because more complicated, especially if the person is bouncing between the degrees while reducing the number of degrees... Running towards the gun weilder is making it easy for him to wedge you in his open ended triangle and squeeze of a shot. Not a good thing. RUN AWAY!

If you are cornered and can not RUN AWAY you have to take the chance of being trapped in that open ended triangle. So run extremely quickly but with a broken pattern so the he can't track you as easily.

At close range:
Close is also good. Why? Because this open ended triangle has no physical barriers so you are able to move outside of it. The closer you are, the easier it is to step outside of his feild of view which requires him to turn to reobtain visual and line up the weapon. This only reiterates what you already know.. MOVE MOVE MOVE. You stop moving and you're dead. <period> If the gun weilding dude has the weapon in his pocket, consider that an advantage. A person can move his head and arms fairly quickly to track your movements, but if his weapon is locked into position he has to move his whole body to get into alignment and you have all the more time to move and disrupt that movement.

I've heard people sa so many times that you might as well give up if someone points a gun at you. Sure, if they ask for my wallet and i think that will satisfy them, I'll give them my wallet and probably the money that I don't carry in my wallet too. Show a little bit of compassion. If they don't get enough cash from robbing you, they may rob someone stupider than you who will wind up getting killed. How would you like to read that headline:

20 YEAR OLD KILLED IN MUGGING
John Q. Doe was killed today when he raised his hands too quickly and startled the nervous Evil Z. Deviant, who was hoping the stick-up would get him $20 more dollars to buy drugs for his nightly fix, but instead he got life. Police connected Mr. Deviant to the murder when he attempted to buy drugs from an undercover narcotics officer with bloodstained money matching Mr. Doe's DNA type. Mr. Deviant bragged to the undercover cop that he held-up another individual but only raked in $30 and was forced to hold-up Mr. Doe to collect the $50 needed.

Most people would immediately answer "Better him than me." That is sad. I believe that with martial training/might comes the responsibility to protect all life. If you have the ability to take life, you must protect life. You've been trained in the arts of combat and can think a great deal more clearly and calmly than the average Joe. Show both the mugger and the person who may be the next target a little compassion and courtesy. Many people can understand when I say that you should show respect to the next target, but can't comprehend how you could respect an Evil Deviant.
I've heard some martial wisdom which stated that a fight is like a dance, the two individuals must be in unison. This is mostly speaking of Yin and Yang and not being a mystic or interested that much in Asian philosophy, I don't pay it much mind... But it does have a point. Why should you respect even the most evil human beings and treat them with courtesy? Because they give you an awesome gift. The gift of enmity. The only reason why you train in a 'martial' art is because someone had an enemy and needed to develop skills to protect themselves. Without evil you would have little reason to hone the skills that you are currently honing. If you are like me, the study of the combative skills is a major portion of your life and has improved the quality of your existance a great deal. Is it any wonder the Bible says 'Love thine enemy as thyself?' It makes sense. Your enemies give you power. Having enemies and having a certain amount of fear gives you motivation to get stronger, quicker and more intelligent. Respect and 'love' your enemy. He is the stone that you are sharpened upon. In the midst of your stick-up, call him "Sir" and show the respect he is due for having such an impact in your life.

I heard a story when I was young about a man (we'll call sean)who was held-up at gun point. Sean handed over his wallet and the mugger turned to walk away. Something tugged at Sean's heart. "Sir" he called out, "Here is another $100 that I didn't have in my wallet." The mugger turned back around in shock. "I was leaving and you called me back to take more from you, why?" "Because, my friend, you obviously needed it more than me to be willing to carry the burden of fear of being found out." They continued talking and when the guy left the gun remained with Sean as did a telephone number and an address. With continued talks the man who was a mugger because a productive and honorable member of society... just because someone had a little love and compassion for his enemy.
We live in a faceless world. My life is a perfect example of that. I work in the middle of the night with noone else around. I go home and I sleep and then clean up my apartment, cook dinner, relax by chatting on the net and then go workout and then prepare for work. It is so easy to disconnect from the world around us. We can do all of our shopping over the net. We can order pizza over the net so that we don't even have to talk to a person. It is so sad because we've ceased to really touch the lives of those around us and allow them to touch our lives. Isn't that the exact opposite of what we want to accomplish? How many people think that the world where we live is in a state of decay? I think that CNN did a survey and found that not a single person that they interviewed actually said that the world was getting better. What do we do about it? We seperate ourselves from the world so that we can exist without being impacted by the decay. We react by becoming more and more tolerant to ideals that were blatantly evil in days gone by. Evil flourishes because good men stand by and do nothing.
I am not a tolerant man and I am not prepared to sequester myself inside of my house because I am afraid of the decay making its way into my life. Instead I'm going to fight the things that I disagree with. I'm going to wage war on the evil. And I'm going to step out into the world and stand tall and strong in my beliefs in the hopes that those that come into contact with me will be touched and their lives will be altered for the better. I WILL change the world and I WILL prevail. One sentance is all it takes for some, sometimes to a person that we've never seen before and will never see again. Yes, that is all it takes to have an impact on someone's life. How many people commit suicide each year because they go through their day without someone noticing them? They kill themselves because they cannot comprehend that someone can and does care for them. I used to say 'Hey, that is perfect! Darwin was right, survival of the fittest.' I'm appalled that I ever said that because its my fault. All of those faces that walked by me in the halls of where I worked or in the cars that drive by me on the street I looked away and took no notice of them. I didn't hold the door open for someone or wasn't courteous to the waitress or person at the check-out. I just wanted to get in and get out as quick as possible, I was so wrapped up in myself that I didn't see someone who was looking for a reason to hang on to life. Someone to just say "hi" or someone who would smile and hold a door open.

Why is this important to you as a martial artist? Why do you study Kenpo? You want to learn how to protect yourself and the ones that you love. You want to enrich your life by getting in better physical shape or growing mentally and spritually. The best way to enrich your life is to enrich other people's lives. The best way to defend those that you love is to go on the offense and start to change the things that you fear and make the world a safer and better place to live. Action is always faster than reaction. Self defense is reactive in nature. Start being active by making positive changes on your society.
We often get caught up in doing things for ourselves. We're selfish. One of the best ways to be selfish is to be selfless. The more you strive to do for others the more you will obtain in return. Every teacher will tell you that you learn the most when you have to teach. This is true with a lot of things. You will gain more if you share with others.

The master rambler going off again.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93

:boxing:

Lets see, how did that go? "The bigger they are the harder they fall".

Yeah that's it.

:D

:asian:

Chuck

I heard it was
"The bigger they are the harder they hit, and the smaller they are the further they fly"

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Les

I heard it was
"The bigger they are the harder they hit, and the smaller they are the further they fly"

hehe...usually true...but I've seen a pint-size fourteen year old black belt put an adult black belt twice his size through a wall... it was impressive... the kid's an amazing fighter... his dad paid to have the wall fixed, and we were really tempted to have him sign the patch on the wall with the message "Nishaun was here." but figured that would end up encouraging more people to put holes through the studio walls, so we scrapped that idea.

Latest Discussions