Does anyone seriously use chops?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
With a combatives background, as well as being PPCT certified, chops are definitely part of my repertoire. In addition to the many fine examples of their uses already mentioned, I find they are quite effective for breaking down a boxing guard. chopping down on the forearms works wonders for me.

Does PPCT teach brachial stuns?

It was taught to us in the Academy but I don't remember if it was certified in a system.

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No. The collarbone is a separate area. Elder is discussing the results of the same strike and area that most of this conversation is about. Might I suggest a copy of Grey's Anatomy.
Dude I love Grey's Anatomy, it is by far imo way more gory, creepy n scary than Friday the 13th lol. Unfortunately tho I'm not a doctor or medical expert, so some of that EMS surgical lingo is very foreign to me lol. I did Google the brachial plexus tho to get a better view.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I feel like I never will outside of training, I only train them because I am told too, I also don't like to use palm strikes either. Anyone else like that?

A sudden blow to the carotid artery dramatically changes the blood flow dynamics, causing a knockout or even death due to a sudden, precipitous drop in blood pressure in the brain.

In a life-threatening self-defense situation, if the opportunity arises, strike the carotid artery and/or the vertically flowing nerves in the neck with horizontal knifehand strike.

To form a strong knifehand, press your fingers tightly together and focus the force in your fingers to the degree that your palm side arches slightly forward. Strike with the bottom of the hand bone, near the wrist.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like I never will outside of training, I only train them because I am told too, I also don't like to use palm strikes either. Anyone else like that?

Quite the opposite. 'Chops' also referred to by other names like knife hand and/or edge-of-hand (EOF in WWII combatives) are extremely effective. I've put folks down multiple times with EOF strikes to the side of the neck.

Palm heel strikes are preferred, in some instances, over closed-fist strikes when the target is a 'hard' target. The 'chin jab', also called the Tiger Claw (WWII) is a staple movement. As I've pointed out before, even professional boxers have injured their hands in/out of the ring with both gloves and bare knuckle. Hitting a hard target and then causing a self-injury in a SD situation could prevent the use of a firearm, radio, cell phone, car keys or other objects that require a certain amount of manual dexterity in the extremities. Doesn't mean the hand will always get injured, but the potential can be higher with a closed fist as opposed to an open hand due to factors caused by the attacker's movements/angles.

This has been my experience (and those in my circles) based on actual physical altercations.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

Oddly enough, I was discussing this with my Sifu...how on the Wing Chun dummy form, all the hits to the dummy's "head" are palm strikes, while the body shots are all punches. It dawned on me that this might be because when you punch to the head, it is easier to break the hand even if someone moved their head only a fraction. You can still hurt your hand when you punch to the body, but it seems like it might be something more along the lines of spraining your wrist or something like that.

Just a theory I have anyway.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
A good hammer fist to the collarbone can do wonders for someone's attitude ;)

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, against mostly untrained people. But so does punching the same untrained people in the chin or jaw line, that's more out in the open, to KO them. It's not uncommon to get punched in the carotid artery in MMA by fists and hammer fists (while trying to land on the jaw line. And Hammer fists are better than Karate chops, but both rarely KO in comparison to a chin shot with a full fist.

Latest Discussions