Does anyone seriously use chops?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel like I never will outside of training, I only train them because I am told too, I also don't like to use palm strikes either. Anyone else like that?

mber

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A chop to the neck can be pretty damn dangerous. There's a reason it's illegal in most MMA. It's a good move to know, as well as to know how to defend against.

A palm to the face can stun, a palm to the chest can theoretically stun or even kill but I wouldn't count on landing a blow like that. In contrast a nice knife hand is "easy" to land.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
A chop to the neck can be pretty damn dangerous. There's a reason it's illegal in most MMA. It's a good move to know, as well as to know how to defend against.

A palm to the face can stun, a palm to the chest can theoretically stun or even kill but I wouldn't count on landing a blow like that. In contrast a nice knife hand is "easy" to land.

That looked fake.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was fake

A brachial stun can drop you but it only stuns you for a half a second.

You are awake and alert almost as soon as hit the ground.

Also it looked like it wasn't in the right spot on the neck to have worked.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I feel like I never will outside of training, I only train them because I am told too, I also don't like to use palm strikes either. Anyone else like that?
I practice Baguazhang which uses a lot of palm strikes, using the chops is one part of our strikes. I practice all of my palm strikes including chops on tree trunks. My teacher said if you can hit a tree hard you can hit a person even harder. I like chops because of the reach involved so say a person throws a straight, I might parry it then go over the arm with a chop and then use that to grab your adam's apple.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you get old with arthritis on your finger joints and you no longer be able to hold a solid fist, palm striking may be the only weapon left for you to defense yourself.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I use chops. I just don't use them to strike the "vital areas". I don't know how to control the techniques well enough to use them outside of very light sparring.

In application they are very cruel and it's an all or nothing type technique.
Most people chop the neck. I'll chop the face if given the opportunity and the limbs. There's more than one type of chop.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've used palm strikes in fights before...less likely to hurt my hands (I don't condition much), and easier to grab or move if need be. I've never used a knife hand, but I was taught that they can be utilized as part of a throw, rather than the "chopping" motion you assume they're for.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Chops don't just have to target the throat, you can also target the ribs, head, face, and groin with them.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is "iron palm" training. I have not heard any "iron fist" training. The reason is simple. Fist has bone. Palm has muscle.

There is Iron Fist training but it's usually under the same category as iron palm. Iron palm usually encompasses the fist, palm, backfist, and knife edge of the hand.

-Iron Palm
-Iron Bridge
-Iron Jacket
-Iron Head
-Iron Legs
-Iron Feet

I practice Iron Palm, Bridge, and Legs.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutely they work a chop to the neck or the throat can kill someone or it can be used defensively a. Chop to the arm will hurt it. As for palms they're good because less likely to break your hand and you have a bigger striking area than your fist. Plus for legal reasons a palm shot looks better than a punch

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I love chops and palm strikes! :)

I use different variations of these techniques all the time when training and sparring. I absolutely love the chops and palms, I just don't like or agree with the way I see most MAists practice them. For example, most MAists I see practice chopping with the blade of their hand (bottom side or pinky side of the hand). I find this method to be somewhat ineffective, to be honest, and actually quite dangerous for your wrist. It might stun your opponent, but it certainly won't stop them if they mean business. I've found it's better to chop with the blade of your arm (bottom side or forearm) as it's more powerful and safer for your hands. Plus it allows you to still use your hands for other things like grabbing, since the forearm chop can be either a defensive strike, a finishing move, or a setup for some nasty locks and chokes. As for palm strikes, I always go for a sideways/horizontal palm (fingers pointed outwards as opposed to upwards) with a slight upward motion, usually not for striking but for applying arm-locks or choking techniques. For instance, a side-palm to the throat quickly becomes a squeeze of your claw-like fingers to their windpipe.

For sporting reasons, I feel like chops and palms have been watered down and made safer for demonstrations and competitions. But it's good to see that some MAists are still practicing the deadly version of these techniques. It makes me feel more at home.

Last edited: