Does anyone here practice KFM?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I get your point, but lets face it - this problem is endemic to martial arts demonstrations across the board. These guys are actually less egregious than many I've seen. My "favorites" are the schools where the attacker comes in with a lunge punch that stops six inches short of the defenders face, then stands still with the punch fully extended while the defender executes a complex combination that ends with a throw that depends on grabbing the punch which has been left hanging out for several seconds.

I agree :)

Self defense should be judged against self defense not MMA. The KFM guys failed at MMA possibly because they brought their style to the game and failed to properly "train for the game." MMA isn't the bar to judge self defense but it is a great indicator for judging fighters. In fact I preach that one has to include training to beat MMA. So it is a force to be reckoned with.

As far as self defense goes. How does KFM compare to other self defense on the net?

The fact that the answer is that you have to dig around to find good self defense, is unfortunate.

IMO, from what i can see theyre trying to do something new regardless of if its verifiable. Theyre built on striking, so why wouldnt they be able to use their striking against other striking? It may not be made for MMA, but im not seeing any exercises being done to show them learning anything but striking with the questionable joint manipulations and grappling. But its mostly striking. So, in an arena of striking, why cant they use it? Im also not seeing anything to suggest RBSD. Its all striking and grappling. Like MMA, but not, and with 'new approaches'.

Lemme back that up:
Check out the knife defenses. Check out the woman scratching a dudes cheek like thatd not make him get angry. Check out punching straight out with knives. Check out the multiple opponent fighting. Check out the guy who squats down into a groin kick.
Its a striking drill.

Ive gone through Page 1 of the youtube search results now :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree :)

The fact that the answer is that you have to dig around to find good self defense, is unfortunate.

IMO, from what i can see theyre trying to do something new regardless of if its verifiable. Theyre built on striking, so why wouldnt they be able to use their striking against other striking? It may not be made for MMA, but im not seeing any exercises being done to show them learning anything but striking with the questionable joint manipulations and grappling. But its mostly striking. So, in an arena of striking, why cant they use it? Im also not seeing anything to suggest RBSD. Its all striking and grappling. Like MMA, but not, and with 'new approaches'.

Lemme back that up:
Check out the knife defenses. Check out the woman scratching a dudes cheek like thatd not make him get angry. Check out punching straight out with knives. Check out the multiple opponent fighting. Check out the guy who squats down into a groin kick.
Its a striking drill.

Ive gone through Page 1 of the youtube search results now :)
Well, youtube isn't exactly the most reliable way to see an arts better qualities..search WC vs. ..., same thing, but WC is awesome. Never heard of KFM to be honest, but might have to look into it :)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, youtube isn't exactly the most reliable way to see an arts better qualities..search WC vs. ..., same thing, but WC is awesome. Never heard of KFM to be honest, but might have to look into it :)

So far, i havent searched for KFM VS anything. I might have to do that, it might be hilarious.

Youtube is a good way of watching Chi Sau. I like Chi Sau. There have been points where ive wanted to learn WC just to eventually learn Chi Sau :)

As for Wing Chun VS stuff, i wont derail the topic, but...
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChiKeeTuaLan/videos?view=0&flow=grid
Most of its pretty good.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keysi VS Helmet Guard with no resistance:

Now i guess i know what to do if someone attacks me by covering their head and looking at me funny.

OP
M

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score

The girl stuff was OK, but the guy stuff got a little overly theatrical for my taste, though the move at 5:30 was top notch. It's exactly the same move catwoman does in Arkham City when countering two incoming enemies at the same time. Check out 1:47 in this one:

Is catwoman a Taekwondo practitioner?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
KFM never impressed me from the get go. I see what they are trying to accomplish but I believe they are going about it the wrong way. Cyriacus already pointed out much of what I would have said but I'll add a bit more to it.

Their prefered method of a standing guard is a mixed bag. It's good that they want to protect their head but they neglect a lot with that posture. Also they seem quite aware that in SD, fighting is very close and elbow and knee range is likely but there are problems.Like Cyriacus said, Putting your hands at the front of your head like that will get your hands broken by anyone not swinging wildy in a rage, and the targets chosen to recieve the head butt (the torso) is terible and will damage your neck, especially by "chicken pecking" as opposed to ramming with the top of the forehead.

I notice in multiple attacker training they go to the ground in one of the videos and the other training partners continue to beat on you. Why are they doing that, the just seem to ingore the other guy who is hitting them. There is also a strong tendency to show your back to someone without needing to, like in that video where the one guy shoves the other into the wall, puts his back to the other guy's back and attacks his ankle. What? The other guy could elbow you in the back of the head! And why attack the ankle like that, there are better targets and better methods of breaking a leg than that.

Also I couldn't help but notice that even though they have below average MMA training they directly say in the first posted video "KFM is not sport oriented" Then why have MMA?? And not born in a dojo? Born on teh streetz? Please, that's such a played out argument for a "my style is better than yours" debate that it's barely worth discussing anymore.

My opinion of KFM is that it looks effective to those who have little experience in martial arts, but those with years of training can see a lot of gaps.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is also a strong tendency to show your back to someone without needing to, like in that video where the one guy shoves the other into the wall, puts his back to the other guy's back and attacks his ankle. What?

I had to look twice at that one. I think the idea is that the defender is using back-to-back pressure to pin his adversary against the wall while he scans the area for more attackers. I'm appreciate the concept, although I'm skeptical of the implementation.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had to look twice at that one. I think the idea is that the defender is using back-to-back pressure to pin his adversary against the wall while he scans the area for more attackers. I'm appreciate the concept, although I'm skeptical of the implementation.

For fun, grab a partner and stand back to back, then try to push each other back.
...Oh, and youre allowed to wildly backfist/backelbow each other, and youre allowed to just... you know. Turn around.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like they are franchising a fight program aside from the KFM program.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Latest Discussions