Does anyone else on MT surf?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I remember correctly I was told you can only see the waves at Queens Point from Waikiki Beach if the waves are over 15 feet.
Wish I had been told that before I went there that first time LOL

I can't even imagine surfing waves that big. I would get crushed!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is everyone riding?

I've got two longboards at 9'3" and 9'6". I also have a fun board at 8'. I'm just learning how to surf the shorter board. Maybe down the road I'll get a board that is much shorter. I have to learn how to turn first.

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually wanted to get lessons on vacation in florida, but there wasnt anyone. It has always been fascinating to me though

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Where in Florida? I recommend New Smyrna Beach (about twenty minutes south of Daytona Beach) for best surfing in Florida. St. Augustine and Jacksonville (Hanna Park especially) are the next best thing.

As to martial artists and surfing correlation, look no further than Brazil. A lot of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu types native to the country tend to be surfers, at least according to Sam Sheridan during his exploration of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My new favorite spot is Flat Island off of Kailua beach. Its about a quarter mile paddle so the break usually doesn't get much use. On low days, the waves come up nice and slow and break for a long time. Great for just riding.

Traditionalist

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've only surfed a few time in Korea, but my older brother surfed all the time before we came to the states. He looked hilarious on a surf board because he got the "Samo" body type, but he's good. Its especially good surfing during the monsoon season. I liked it but I feel like I'm more towards the bottome of the food chain when I'm in the ocean, unless I'm in a boat.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have been shredding the waves about every other day during the holiday season. We had really good peeling waves that rose up super smooth and dropped you in quick and easy. It's nice when you can surf on swell generated waves with no wind.

On Wednesday, a super huge swell is coming in. They predict 30 to 40 footers and everyone is holding their breath for The Eddy. Needless to say, I won't be competing in that, but I'll take a day off from work and go watch!

Latest Discussions