Lurkers

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
There are pleny of them. I Don't know about the rest of you, but I can't stand folks who critsize people who lurk, on "what ever site" And their lurking is just as bad.:lurk: pretty hypocritical if you ask me!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lurking is a way of staying informed when you have nothing new or insightful to add to the subject. Lurking is a means of gaining knowledge

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are pleny of them. I Don't know about the rest of you, but I can't stand folks who critsize people who lurk, on "what ever site" And their lurking is just as bad.:lurk: pretty hypocritical if you ask me!

I agree...

OP
Kwanjang

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lurking is a way of staying informed when you have nothing new or insightful to add to the subject. Lurking is a means of gaining knowledge

Agreed! I admitt, I lurked for ahwile on MT. Should they be criticle of you for doing it?

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Lurking is a way of staying informed when you have nothing new or insightful to add to the subject."

In my case I would also add time to the possibly nothing new or insightful, having a full time job, and three small successful businesses, with the duties to employees and the tax paperwork, often the only time I have is to read the threads and leave thanks now and then to the posters that I think have given good well thought out replies or replies that continues the conversation by offering helpful suggestions or opinions.
In my opinion when you offer a reply to a thread or start a thread you commit yourself to further conversation on the subject and sometimes this takes a time commitment as well, a commitment that many may not have the ability or want to make.

Regards
Brian King

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personaly I could care less what they say when I lurk on sites. If sites do not want lurkers they need to keep membership open to only those that post.
I think most sites are made up of lurkers not posters

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lurking is a good way to get a feel for the rules and atmosphere on a forum. I often lurk for at least a few days on any forum I'm considering joining.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We tried turning off forum viewing to lurkers.
We got about a hundred complaints from casual members who often read without logging in.
I don't have a problem with lurkers. They add to our traffic numbers and make advertising here worth more. It helps keep the site running.
Not that I'd ever complain about more members, and more supporting members. ;)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I kind of agree with everyone....but I really see no reason to critisize lurkers. In fact, how do you even know that they are there, aside from showing that guests are logged on? They don't say anything, so they don't annoy anyone...and they have no way to critisize others.

So I guess I don't see why anyone would dislike them in the first place!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being a chatty soul, it's not often that I log in that I don't say something but I have nothing against those that just read. On other forums where I'm a member I not infrequently do the same thing as I have nothing substantive to add to the dialogue - of course, I do log in so maybe that's not quite the same 'definition' of lurking?

OP
Kwanjang

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, I lurk, I lurk and I will lurk some more. I will get my lurking fill. Seriously, I really don't see anything wrong with "Lurking" except when people that do (and I think we all do, to some degree) make it seem like you are spying on them. It was a take off on the "my space" thing. I guess I should have mentioned that.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is, lurkers only see half the site. The other half requires logging in...with 10% requiring a supporting membership. ;)

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i think everybody lurks in the beginning just to see what its all about. if it even interests them. if someone says they have never lurked then they need to get over it and admit it already