MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
With multiple variable inputs.

How many people?

Weapons and what are they?

Is the guy on the ground and still stating he is going to kill/hurt you?

To just name a small few.
Would there be confrontations, when you find yourself having the advantage, that you would stop and quit?

Respects!

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
When to stop? when the attacker is incapable or obviously unwilling (i.e. running away) to continue his aggressive behavior. For me, this is generally going to mean putting them on the ground (preferrably by rendering them unconscious) or breaking a bone or two. Something that's damaging enough to give me the opportunity to escape SAFELY.

The fun comes when the little coward is pumped up a LSD and/or PCP and doesn't realise you've beaten him in a blood stain. The use of force is simply justified by the length they go through to harm you. Dead men have no side of the story nor can they retaliate later, but their families will always try to sue...

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dark said:
The fun comes when the little coward is pumped up a LSD and/or PCP and doesn't realise you've beaten him in a blood stain. The use of force is simply justified by the length they go through to harm you. Dead men have no side of the story nor can they retaliate later, but their families will always try to sue...
you'll notice that while I said "render them unconscious," I didn't specify the length of time that they'd spend in that state. For some attackers, a brachial-stun or palm-heel will produce the desired effect, for others you may need 4 or 5 rounds to the CNS to get the job done. Of course, in the latter case, the state of unconsciousness will be pretty permanent.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think my response would depend upon how serious i perceived their intent to be and who was involved.
If they are just a bully, this is a different situation then someone trying to maime or kill me.
Also, is my family involved? If my family is involved, it just got a lot more serious!
In general, i would not want a situation where if I were to let them go, it would be an equal situation again.
There needs to be a follow up such as gaining assistance, leaving the dangerous scene, keeping them subdued, or causing enough damage so they are not capable of another assault.
I am definately focused on avoiding dangerous situations and minimizing harm to anyone as much as possible: this is just a "what if" scenario.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dark said:
Dead men have no side of the story nor can they retaliate later...
You've made this or a similar comment several times now. How many men have you killed, or are you not speaking from experience?

spinkick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well I would rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6 so if he keeps coming until one of us dies so be it

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For us in Law Enforcement we stop when the suspect/subject/ stops resisting long enough to put the cuffs on..As DARK posted 'The fun comes when the idiot you're dealing with is pumped up on PCP or has been smoking "wet" cigarettes..I agree with spinkick sentiments "I'd rather have an ugly trial than a beautiful funeral...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
Would there be confrontations, when you find yourself having the advantage, that you would stop and quit?

Respects!

Yes, and then I knocked them back down again when they got back up and swung again.

Repeat process until their friend(s) stop them from swinging on you ar the police show up, or they decide to go home.

Yes I had the advantage and knew it and only defended myself. There was no real threat until their swing was coming.

Other times with multiple people I have hurt some real bad real fast so as to not worry about them (* Untill the ambulance took them away *) and I could move on to the next.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No matter what the variables of a fight are, the time to leave is as soon as it is safe to do so - whatever that may mean in your specific encounter. Self defense - as has already been said - is about surviving and protecting your self - there is no reason to hang around after you've created a safe means of egress, BUT it is also important to do whatever it takes to make yourself safe

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Explorer said:
We teach that force is used to create an avenue for escape. That is best accomplished when your attacker is incapacitated in some way ... in pain, unconcious or broken.

If you stick around the bad guys friends WILL come to his aid in one way or another. They may come to his aid when you start winning. It is extremely important to clear the danger zone as soon as possible and call the police to tell them what happened. Bad guys have been known to call the cops when they find themselves on the losing side ... as a last shot at you.

Hello, Excellent point...one should leave as soon as one can get away...trust your instincts...leave/run away. (you can always call the police later)!

I had a friend who grew up in a rough place..the learn early on..keeping hitting till the guy cannot move...because if you stop early..the other guy/guys will recover and stomp you....experience is a great teacher! ..Aloha

Note: No two situtions will be the same...trust the instincts....

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It seems to me the mere fact that we're thinking about and discussing such an issue bodes well for us. The time for clear headed assessments is before you're in a tight spot and forced into split second decisions that may permanently change your life or someone elses.

It may even encourage us to leave before trouble starts ... always the preferred method.

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
tradrockrat said:
No matter what the variables of a fight are, the time to leave is as soon as it is safe to do so - whatever that may mean in your specific encounter. Self defense - as has already been said - is about surviving and protecting your self - there is no reason to hang around after you've created a safe means of egress, BUT it is also important to do whatever it takes to make yourself safe
Good points. Sometimes though it might *appear* to be safe for us to leave - particularly in this case where we have gained the upper hand and we're actively *seeking* that means of egress - but what we mistake for dominating the aggressor might just be their cue to start again. I think in these cases how soon or how late to stop is perhaps not always black and white. What do you think?

Respects!

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Drac said:
For us in Law Enforcement we stop when the suspect/subject/ stops resisting long enough to put the cuffs on..As DARK posted 'The fun comes when the idiot you're dealing with is pumped up on PCP or has been smoking "wet" cigarettes..I agree with spinkick sentiments "I'd rather have an ugly trial than a beautiful funeral...
Drac, this is a good clear answer, thanks! Having a specific goal such as restraint in the cuffs definitely gives you the advantage over the rest of us in knowing when to stop. Can I ask if they don't stop resisting do you keep on applying what you're applying? Or do you escalate it up to something else?

Respects!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
Can I ask if they don't stop resisting do you keep on applying what you're applying? Or do you escalate it up to something else?Respects!

Speaking for myself..If I encounter resistance I don't try to match whatever force the suspect is using, I try to respond with one level above..Trying to meet a physical force with the same physical can make it a ver drawn out episode and increases the chance of a weapon grab etc..etc..99% of the time back up is in route..

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
Good points. Sometimes though it might *appear* to be safe for us to leave - particularly in this case where we have gained the upper hand and we're actively *seeking* that means of egress - but what we mistake for dominating the aggressor might just be their cue to start again. I think in these cases how soon or how late to stop is perhaps not always black and white. What do you think?

Respects!

Absolutely. Every encounter is different so the safe means of egress will be different. It's all grey area, really - unless you knock the guy out cold. One important point to bring up is that "safe" also implies that you are being safty conscious when you attempt to leave - ie backing up keeping your eyes on the opponent, scaning the area for other threats, putting objects between you and your opponent (preferably a building or even city block ;) ) so that you can be assured of your safety.

Me personally, I like to know my opponent isn't going to get up, so I'm not above stomping a knee when he's down or slaming his face into a curb till I hear a snap - if I think this guy really wants to do me serious harm. Of course if he doesn't, why am I fighting in the first place?

Gman

White Belt
Reaction score
Here's what my instructor says.

If you knock someone down, make sure they're going to stay down for at least 10-20 seconds. In that time, you run away. If they can get back up and chase you it's more dangerous than it was the first time, because now they know you have some skills and they'll be ready for you.

I take this to mean exactly what the majority of people here are saying. Use the necessary force to escape the situation (and that means making sure you aren't immediately chased), and then call the police.

I really think it makes a lot of sense.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is time to stop when you can either: move away without them coming at you again or when you feel no longer threatened by them. This may sound vague or not like good advice, or a "duh" statement, but with so many variables to factor in it is really up to the individual and the surrounding circumstances.

Latest Discussions