What do you think about this technique her? (Michael Janich self defense teacher)

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I watched some of his videos on youtube. Seems like a sympathetic guy to me.
But I wonder how good is his stuff?

For example the technique he demonstrates at 4:45. It's called humbat or something like that.
In the video it looks pretty simple and effective. But then again the problem is that he and his partner
do exactly the same stuff. I mean where is the challenge? He knows that his partner does the same
movements he does. They can just go on doing this for hours. He could do it being blindfolded.
But in reality the attacker would probably not act the way his partner does.
Even if he does the same attacking move at first he will probably switch to something else when
he notices that it's not bearing fruit.

Often times in videos where the defender and the attacker are just cruising and doing both the same stuff
I ask myself "what if the attacker did this or that instead of doing what he does"? I mean often it's like there
is an actual opportunity for attack (at least I see one) but the "attacker" doesn't do it cause this is just a video.
But in real life he could use it and then what?
For example why should the attacker always attack with 1 hand only? Imagine he punches and his punch gets blocked
then why should he always retreat his arm and then punch with the other arm? What if while the defending person
is blocking his attack using BOTH hands he decides to quickly hit him with his free hand? But this doesn't happen in
the videos. In the video it always looks fool-proof.

Because it's training will that exact scenario work all together no of course not but it give you combinations and different weapon and targets so in a real fight one move from a technique might work and another from another

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hubud is a pretty standard FMA thing. Michael Janich is the real deal. Go to one of his seminars and see for yourself (MBC/CBC). I train with guys who have (my co-instructor for one) every week. I have no complaints.

Edit: the one-handed shoulder stop shown at 2:36 is (IMO) better for bigger guys. I prefer the two-handed version. But I'm not the badass MJ is.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What's the purpose of hubud? Is it simply to train automatic reactions with your arms so that you get used to using them for defense?
or is it about the technique itself?

Good to know that Janich is good, then I can watch more of his stuff.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What's the purpose of hubud? Is it simply to train automatic reactions with your arms so that you get used to using them for defense?
or is it about the technique itself?

Good to know that Janich is good, then I can watch more of his stuff.

I'm not an authority on FMA or CBC/MBC, so I can't comment on the full extent of the applications. However, it gets you to the outside, while pinning the opponent's arm to his body.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I read drills are used to train muscle memory. This would make sense.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also can't tell an expensive wine from a cheap wine I don't have the experience and it's the same
thing here.

The price has little to do with it, it's what you like the taste of. You buy different wines, try them and note what you like about them. Same as martial arts you try different places to train until you find the one that you are comfortable in, the one where you can learn. It's about you not the style, you can't tell what wine tastes like by watching videos can you, so it stands to reason you can't tell what martial arts are by watching them either. Buy a bottle of wine and you can enjoy it after your first martial arts lesson! it's all about the learning.

Latest Discussions