Disturbing Movies

B

Baytor

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
"Very Bad Things" and "Brazil". For different reasons, left me a bit disconcerted.
Very Bad Things freaked me out a little becaus the chick reminded me of a psycho ex that I had just broke up with. I was watching her be all OCD (obsesive/compulsive disorder) with the wedding planning and realized I was saying to myself, "Hey man you gotta get out of there buddy, get out while you can." Best part of that movie..."THIS IS MY DAY!"

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Raisin said:
Our esteemed director Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) made a movie in his earlier days called "Braindead" I really have no idea what possessed him to make a film like that, but it was weirded to the max!!!! Just gore and mashed brains with a bit of humour thrown in for a laugh........... not really that funny! Definately not an Academy Award winner!!!!

http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001
Ugh...I saw that...I think it's also called "Dead Alive." I heard about it from some poll a few years ago where it ranked as the goriest movie ever. I don't know about that, but it's the most disgusting movie I've seen.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm coming in late on this one so I'll post a few opinons on the already stated movies and give a few unmentioned.

Standard horror:
-Event Horizon
-House on Haunted Hill
-Hellraiser
-Omen
-House of a Thousand Corpses (leave it to Rob Zombie)
These are just gorefests with a little bit of an interesting plot. Usually good imagry and few memorable scenes, but mostly special effects eye candy and generic Hollywood lines. (I'd throw in 28 Days Later and Aliens.)

Standard horror with a suspense twist:
-Ring
-Exorcist
I love these. All the suspense of a psych thriller, but with some of the meaty special effects. They don't just hint at the danger, they really do present it to you. (I'd add Serpent and the Rainbow)

Psychological horror:
-Seven
-Blair Witch
-8mm
These ones give you a very possible situation and put you in it. Usually great at building up to a climactic scene. (I'd add Open Water and Phone Booth.)

Strange art house flicks:
-Naked Lunch
-Donnie Darko
-Carnival of Souls
-Freaks
Rely on images and surreal situations to make you uncomfortable or questioning. Not really scarry as ponderous. (I'd add Crash)

Situationally disturbing:
-Thirteen
-Kids
These are the ones that scare us, parents especially, because they offer how bad it could really get. (I'd add Buffalo 66, Doom Generation)

I always seem to remember certain scenes more than whole movies. Like the scene with the daughter doing what she can for drugs in Traffic.

Some of the people here at work thought of Flatliners.

I find the most scary movies are the real ones. Like video footage of disasters or fights where someone is killed.

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Psychological horror:
-Seven
-Blair Witch
-8mm

Those we're good ones if you put your self in the place of some of the characters and think what would you do , then it's even worse.

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory. I still look for oompa loompa's around every corner coming to get me. It was one of the reasons I got into martial arts.

kelly

B

Baytor

I saw the last 30 minutes of Buffalo 66. I was so depressed. The movie was so bad, and I would never have those 30 minutes back. I could have been doing something productive, like clip my toenails or....sleep. That woud have been more productive than watching that movie. Maybe if I saw the whole thing, it would have been ok. On the other hand, if I saw the whole thing, maybe I would have killed myself.

B

bluespacething

American Psycho is number 7 on my top 10 movies all time. It is slightly disturbing...I really want to read the book though. I know that's more screwed up than the movie.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"House of a Thousand Corpses" isn't horror its disturbing. Not something to watch if well your sane.
That movie must have come from a twisted twisted mind. Rob Zombies I think.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ia<a target="_blank" href="http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=MBA">mBa</a>ytor said:
I saw the last 30 minutes of Buffalo 66. I was so depressed. The movie was so bad, and I would never have those 30 minutes back. I could have been doing something productive, like clip my toenails or....sleep. That woud have been more productive than watching that movie. Maybe if I saw the whole thing, it would have been ok. On the other hand, if I saw the whole thing, maybe I would have killed myself.
Nope, it's really that bad, but it still lists as a sureal and disturbing movie.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blair Witch bored the heck outta me. I actually demanded my money back. DJ on the morning radio out here was talking it up, saying his wife was so scared she couldn't sleep for days. I just felt sorry for myself and all the other saps in the theatre who had been bilked outta their money. My vote for "Worst film of all time".

D.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I didn't think the Blair Witch was that bad, but I was irritated by the ending. I know I know, suspense of the cliffhanger, but /shrug. Now Blair Witch 2 was a joke.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i would have to say...
night of the living dead (new version in the 90s')
dawn of the dead (new version 2004) are we seeing a pattern? yes i'm scared of zombies!
hannibel (eating brains is just plain sick!)
thats all i can think of for now...
oh i used to be really scared of freddy krueger when i was little!:uhohh:

peace

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Disturbing in a gross out way:

Hellraiser--I can't stand to watch people hang from fish hooks, what can I say.
Pink Flamingoes

Totally offending my morals and making me nauseous kind of disturbing; some of the few movies I've turned off half-way through:

Faces of Death
Happiness

Thought provoking kind of disturbing:

Lost Highway
Blue Velvet
*Heck, any David Lynch besides A Straight Story*
Slaughterhouse Five
Tommy
A Clockwork Orange
Full Metal Jacket
Cape Fear
The Andalusian Dog--Dali's short film.

Horror kind of disturbing:

Day of the Dead--"he's coming to get you, Margaret!"
28 Days
John Carpenter's The Thing

There's also some pretty freaky Anime out there that I won't touch with a ten foot pole.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
Day of the Dead--"he's coming to get you, Margaret!"
QUOTE]

Small correction, I think that was the original Night of the Living Dead.

C

Chicago Green Dragon

8mm was a disturbing movie.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
there was also a movie i think called..

"strange land" freaky movie. won't ever watch it again.

Latest Discussions