Reaction score
Movies that are most disturbing to me are the ones that are based in truth:

El Norte
Boys From Brazil
Sophie's Choice

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would have to throw in for disturbing the Mel Gibson movie "The Passion of the Christ." It definitely got under my skin.

M

Melissa426

Picnic at Hanging Rock :rolleyes:

I was forced to watch it in college.

Peace,
Melissa

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The first two Freddy Cruger movies along with the last where all of the actors were themselves and not caracters. weird. the middle ones where freddy was a dork can get burned though.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Concerning Donnie Darko, I would suggest more than one viewing of the movie, and thats just to grasp basics. My ex and I watched that move three nights in a row and spent some time discussing each part, and the overall experience. Its one of the best movies I have ever seen. Is there any hope of explaining it? I don't think so. Rather, it seems to be one of those movies that you would come up with your own conclusions about how it turned out. Of course, five minutes after you've made a decision about it, your mind starts to think about it in a different way, different reasoning. It plays with your mind to figure it out, and I don't believe there is a right answer to it. Thats what makes it a great movie for me.

A---)

T

TonyM.

Eraserhead was the most disturbing movie I have ever seen. I want those two hours of my life back. The most disturbing music would have to be the bluegrass version of back in black.

Kenpoist

Green Belt
Reaction score
For sheer twisted effect (gruesome or gore fest): SAW/ Hannibal/Seven

For psychological effect: The Omen and the Exorcist

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ring, the exorcist (still cant watch that one in one sitting) a bit of history when this movie first hit the theaters my dad was'nt allowed in cuz he had a heart problem-he actually had to sign a release to get in!!

SPUN

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In elementary school (circa mid-1960's), we were forced to watch a film called "the red balloon." It had no dialog...just this lonely little kid being followed around by this red helium balloon.

We were forced to watch it multiple times. Every year and I'm sure more than once each school year. I don't know why the enlightened educators in the Mt View School District in El Monte, CA did that to us. But it was a disturbing movie.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ray said:
In elementary school (circa mid-1960's), we were forced to watch a film called "the red balloon." It had no dialog...just this lonely little kid being followed around by this red helium balloon.

We were forced to watch it multiple times. Every year and I'm sure more than once each school year. I don't know why the enlightened educators in the Mt View School District in El Monte, CA did that to us. But it was a disturbing movie.
Was the kid terrorized by the balloon, was the kid even aware of it? Was a point ever made about it? "Now kids, remember avoid red balloons!" or something like that?

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MACaver said:
Was the kid terrorized by the balloon, was the kid even aware of it? Was a point ever made about it? "Now kids, remember avoid red balloons!" or something like that?
No, it was just some bizzare avant garde BS flick that the school district must have picked up at somebody's yard sale. The kid was aware of the red balloon;

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How about the Series called "Drug Decision" that was played to us in Jr. High (hint they leaned toward us saying NO!), that featured a guy hopped on acid, that made himself a hot dog to eat. Then the hot dog became a troll doll telling this acid freak about his family. Having made the wrong decision about the drugs Mr. Acid trip also choose unwisely in biting into the hot dog, there fore widowing the entire troll family-which of course showed up to berate this guy. Lead to the mother of all acid freak outs. Mr experient with acid now seems to spend his days staring at his distorted reflection in shiny doorknobs. Well it seemed scarier

_also generally disturbing anything with clowns

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ray said:
No, it was just some bizzare avant garde BS flick that the school district must have picked up at somebody's yard sale. The kid was aware of the red balloon;

I think I remember that one...Pretty random. It was set in France, right? Was there something about a starving cat getting fed a can of tuna? Or was that another random avant-garde movie I was subjected to?

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ray said:

Oh my... I remember that movie....very disturbing.....the School board in Florida must have been at the same sale.........yuck

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think as a martial artist I have to say Ong Bak:The Thai Warrior. I mean it was cool and I jumped out of my seat praising the heavens for how awesome it was. But when you see him get his forearm sawed, or his pal (don't remember the relationship, cousin?) gets his arm broken, or when he gets sledgehammered, or when Ting breaks saw-guy's leg. I think I cringed a little imagining that sort of pain.

(although as a martial artist, it would also be an awesome story to tell someone that you got the bone in your forearm lumberjacked)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A movie I saw recently... "Saw"... typical serial killer outsmarting the cops flick but brilliantly written and well done all around. Not quite as gory as the title suggests.
It poses interesting questions as to just what would YOU do? How far would YOU go to survive.
Check it out...

Also saw "Crash"... a most excellent film!

Latest Discussions