Discussion concerning Presas Family Styles

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tom

I too have studied (only through camps mind you) with both GM Remy and Ernesto and I'm ranked in each one of their systems by them. In fact both GM Remy and Ernesto signed my Lakan ISA cert in 1995 (under Hock).

So the founding of the systems have been a great interest to me over the years and one that I have asked both of the brothers about.

From my discussions with them and my recollections.
1) GM Remy did develop MA and not GM Ernesto.

2) Although GM Ernesto taught MA in the PI when he took over when GM Remy was exilled.

3) GM Remy learned his art from his Grandfather, GM Remy's father did not teach him the family system. He taught GM Ernesto. I think the Grandfather taught GM Remy palis palis mainly.

4) GM Remy told me that he would travel around and find other FMA players (this is after his Balintawak training) and ask for them to "check his stick" and they would fight. From there he would defeat them and "own their techniques" and then go on his way.

I took from this conversation that GM Remy would then learn how they did their techniques and to defeat them and incorperate the essecence into his art which finally became MA.

5) GM Remy used his intellect to learn and condense his art. He told me of how he use to get beat up in the Balintawak training by some of the other players. So in order to learn how to defeat them he would take the leader (Bacon) out drinking, get him liquered up and then discuss principles behind Balintawak. Then take what information he gleaned from GM Bacon and apply them in class to learn to defeat the other players.

This is similar to the stories he told me about the "checking other instructors sticks".

6) From a conversation with Dr. Remy Jr. when I asked him about GM Remy learning other styles, he told me that Rosemary was the educated person that wrote and came up with the names for the techniques in the early books. So it wasn't that GM Remy learned different styles of play but rather the name was given to the motion of the intial entry of the technique.

So from this I take it that GM Remy might go fight someone and learn their intial entry and such (Crossada, Palis Palis, Force to Force blocking whatever) and then refine it and add it to MA (over time of course).

7) While GM Ernesto was younger than GM Remy he did learn from his father and others. He learned some different styles, (Tres Puntos and others) he devloped his own footwork (I think when in college) and he relates it to the Tiki Tiki (?) dance (some of it anyway).

8) It is reasonable to conclude that there would be cross training and sharing of knowledge between the two brothers when they were running the gym or their organization.

9) Instructors have cross trained more in the PI than here in the states in regards to GM Ernesto's and GM Remy's systems than here in the states. Master "Bambit" Dulay is on one of GM Ernesto's early tapes from the PI when he was promoting his art as Mano Mano, then later he promoted it as Kombatan. However the Kombatan players believe that MA is part of their curriculmn and that it is not a "sperate system" more like a sister system.

I believed these arts/systems were seperate but when a student of mine asked GM Ernesto recently about this he said they are the same.

10) The older students of GM Remy's have a different look about them (guys that date back to the PI), and they resemble the foot work of GM Ernesto more so than what later students of GM look like. The closer more relaxed positions that look more like Balinktawak (footwork). Look at the older books of GM Remy's and the stances are longer more classical looking, almost more karate like. However I think this has more to do with the weapons work than anything else.

FWIW
Years ago (02?) I wrote a description of Kombatan for the Escrima Digest and I asked GM Ernesto these questions and then submitted it. In that I think I listed more of the sources of GM Ernesto's training. I've never viewed it and don't know if it is still there, however if anyone is on the ED than you might check out that as well. Ray Terry I think edited it to fit into the space or to make it easier to read, but it follwoed what I worte pretty well I think.

Mark

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
seibukan said:
Why no mention of GM Lazo when discussing the founding of Modern Arnis.

RP never mentioned GM Lazo in any conversations I had with him about the founding of MA. My understanding is GM Lazo is primarily a Kombatan man. I may be wrong.

One thing to consider is that often a founder of an art has people around him who spark him in one way or another. To think they had a hand in the actual founding of an art is wholey a different matter. An example of this is my founding American Freestyle Karate back in 1977/1978. I've had many sparring partners yet none of them helped me create the curriculum. I think the same is with Remy Presas.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

PS - Rich - I understand where you are going. Eees cool. DA

PPS - Mark - Very nicely done post.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
RP never mentioned GM Lazo in any conversations I had with him about the founding of MA. My understanding is GM Lazo is primarily a Kombatan man. I may be wrong.

One thing to consider is that often a founder of an art has people around him who spark him in one way or another. To think they had a hand in the actual founding of an art is wholey a different matter. An example of this is my founding American Freestyle Karate back in 1977/1978. I've had many sparring partners yet none of them helped me create the curriculum. I think the same is with Remy Presas.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

PS - Rich - I understand where you are going. Eees cool. DA

Dan

I agree I believe GM Remy had many influeneces in the creation of MA, even karate and judo for that matter. But the creation of the art is his brainchild.

Ask "Bambit" about GM Ernesto's system and GM Remy's, had I known about him being on that old tape I have I would have asked him at the International Summer Camp last year.

Mark

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dan

Thanks for the compliment.

hey how did you do that adding to the post after I had quoted you?

Sorry to hear about the Summer Camp being cancelled. I was looking forward to going when a business trip to Singapore was cancelled and moved to that week. So I had to bail on the camp. Then the camp gets cancelled and I find out that the trip was cancelled as well and rescheduled for Sept.

I almost talked my wife into the FMA festival in the PI till we went to our financial advisor:mad: Oh well maybe next time.

Mark

OP
M

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Boar man ; In the history which I have the url on post page #24
It states the Conete art had major play.Could this be were Prof. Remy
had added hi karate & Judo?Also one more quick--While Prof.Remy
did Balintawak I know there were escrima players as part of
the school.Could this be were he added some sarrada?Go to post page #29!
From the
Balintawak were these 2 I know of Bonifacio Lonzaga & Telesfero Subing Subing? Its good to hear of another player that did Training with both.
I have the class photo when the 2 Remy & Ernesto tought together.It
was fun & inovating. I have stated that Ernsto did the tiki tki dance & the differances he had.I did a thred Mono y mono--Arjuken--Kombaton
go to serch & see what I put .You might like it.

Mubuhay

seibukan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:

One thing to consider is that often a founder of an art has people around him who spark him in one way or another. To think they had a hand in the actual founding of an art is wholey a different matter.

I don’t know all the ins and outs, I maybe wrong, but it’s my understanding that Fred Lazo and Remy & Ernesto Presas were all friends and they all trained together for quite some time. It’s also my understanding that he (Lazo) helped both of them in founding their schools; he was involved to the point of writing their bylaws and what not, and was the Executive Secretary of the Modern Arnis Federation of Remy Presas.

I’m not a historian like many of you (not qualified) but I do train weekly with GM Lazo and this is some of the information he has shared with me.

thanks

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just saw this and I thought I would be helpful. Ironically the question of Professors training in Japan led me to Mr. Lazo's memorial post here: http://www.martialtalk.com/remy/memories.html

He shows some pics of GM Ernesto and Professor.

As to GM Lazo... what does he teach, exactly? I have only heard of him in passing. But it is a good coincidence that I saw your (seibuken) post here, so I can ask the question from someone who trains with him regularly.

Thanks in advance...

Paul

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
monkey said:
Ok I watch take 2 he stated I leardn from my uncle Leon Bonco..

I dont recall Leon being Bonco..Maybe it can be reserched by some one.Its on tape 2 of the black belt relese set.As far as I was told Jose Presas y Bonco & then there Was (Stoke & Leon )who were not Bonco.

There has to be some way to check for sure.
If they were Bonco then there is some other type of
bonda y bonda & espad y daga.
This is were I realy need to understand & we Ernesto said he did serrada!
Im just as determind & as pastionate on the arts as you.

If we do unlock this serrada that Ernesto told me of --Then the void of the
so called split may make more sence as to why!
It was fun as the 2 tought me in Sacramento 1979-80.
It might be fun agian to get that union of the arts & void as 1!

Tom

Are you saying that GM Remy or GM Ernesto did Serrada?

Because I thought of something while reading these posts, GM Remy when he came here also stayed with GM Max Pallen, who was one of his students in the PI. Anyway GM Pallen if I'm not mistaken also studied with/trained with/knew Angel Cabalas and his Serrada group in California.

Since that would have been back in the late 70's I would imagine that GM Remy would have done what it seems he always did which was to assimlate other principles arts etc. etc. into his MA. And this might be a connection.

I have a book/publication written by GM Pallen about his time spent with GM Remy but I can't locate it at the moment. However I'll see if I can't dig it out to back up this post or to correct it.

I have never seen nor heard of GM Ernesto doing "serrada", nor GM Remy for that matter. In regards to SM Dan's postings about the hand positions being crossed again I haven't really seen that as a big part of the art.

About the closest thing that looks to my eye like "serrada" in Kombaton is the EYD aspect of the art, and that to me is a stretch.

I'm not calling anyone a lair, poking fun, etc. etc. I too am trying to fill in gaps so that we all can learn about the art together.

Mark

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In Tom's (Monkey's) defense

Ok while searching for the Max Pallen publication I ran across some older magazines and in one dated 6/1991 IKF there was an article on GM Ernesto and his system of Mano Mano and here are some quotes.

The Inro contains these next two quotes
"As the Father of "Modern Arnis" Ernesto Presas is working to leave his name, his art and his legacy behind...."

"This early training of GM Ernesto Presas was guided by his father; a recognized master of arnis. Both bothers mastered the classic arnis styles taught by their father. They participated in local matches and tournaments to show the art of their father and to hone their individual skills."

"IKF How did your father and family influence your martial arts interest?
.....The hours I spent watching my father train, and later the time we trained together created this common bond and love of the sport. My brother Remy and I trained and sparred together as we grew up. Our father taught us the classic styles and we taught each other by challenging and testing each other....."

"....My father was a master of the art and he taught me the classic styles....." This was part of another question

"IKF Who were your role models and how did they influence the development of the "Presas Style"
My father, of course, and my brother Remy. My brother and I would go out to local competitions and tournaments to show the "art" our father taught us. We would challenge Philippine experts and teachers. We wanted to test ourselves against the best and to learn from them as well. I deleveloped my style based on my father's teachings and incorporating the best from my competitors skills....."

Now from the above it appears that GM Remy was trained by the father, when GM Ernesto told me GM Remy was taught by his grandfather, and then he went and trained in Balintawak and fought some other masters. GM Remy told me he fought other masters and combined their teachings/techniques into his art and was taught by his grandfather, which he also states as well on VT.

GM Ernesto combined what he learned from his father and from others to create "Presas Style" arnis and in the article he gives forth the same reasons for modernizing the arnis styles, which is real close to what Remy did.

So can it be that both brothers took what they learned from their sources and what they learned together and went throught the same process of distilling their styles and both called it "Modern Arnis"?

Submitted with respect
Mark

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Boar Man said:
In Tom's (Monkey's) defense

Ok while searching for the Max Pallen publication I ran across some older magazines and in one dated 6/1991 IKF there was an article on GM Ernesto and his system of Mano Mano and here are some quotes.

The Inro contains these next two quotes
"As the Father of "Modern Arnis" Ernesto Presas is working to leave his name, his art and his legacy behind...."

"This early training of GM Ernesto Presas was guided by his father; a recognized master of arnis. Both bothers mastered the classic arnis styles taught by their father. They participated in local matches and tournaments to show the art of their father and to hone their individual skills."

"IKF How did your father and family influence your martial arts interest?
.....The hours I spent watching my father train, and later the time we trained together created this common bond and love of the sport. My brother Remy and I trained and sparred together as we grew up. Our father taught us the classic styles and we taught each other by challenging and testing each other....."

"....My father was a master of the art and he taught me the classic styles....." This was part of another question

"IKF Who were your role models and how did they influence the development of the "Presas Style"
My father, of course, and my brother Remy. My brother and I would go out to local competitions and tournaments to show the "art" our father taught us. We would challenge Philippine experts and teachers. We wanted to test ourselves against the best and to learn from them as well. I deleveloped my style based on my father's teachings and incorporating the best from my competitors skills....."

Now from the above it appears that GM Remy was trained by the father, when GM Ernesto told me GM Remy was taught by his grandfather, and then he went and trained in Balintawak and fought some other masters. GM Remy told me he fought other masters and combined their teachings/techniques into his art and was taught by his grandfather, which he also states as well on VT.

GM Ernesto combined what he learned from his father and from others to create "Presas Style" arnis and in the article he gives forth the same reasons for modernizing the arnis styles, which is real close to what Remy did.

So can it be that both brothers took what they learned from their sources and what they learned together and went throught the same process of distilling their styles and both called it "Modern Arnis"?

Submitted with respect
Mark

Mark,

Hence why there were some problems between the brothers.

Also why in the end GM Ernesto changed the name to Kombaton to avoid these issues where now lots of people can look at the history and also look at who said what.

Which is why I stated in other threads that I think Tom has more knowledge outside of the GM Remy Presas and his teaching.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry my last question about both calling their styles "Modern Arnis". I guess what I'm asking is that both claim to have modified or modernized their styles of arnis, and they call it as such. That being the case I can see where Tom stated that GM Ernesto created "Modern Arnis".

Point is while I have always viewed that the two styles are different the Kombaton people tell me they are sister arts or that MA is contained within Kombaton. I can see where GM Ernesto might say he created MA. But not the MA we know as GM Remy's.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Mark,

1) Hence why there were some problems between the brothers.

2) Also why in the end GM Ernesto changed the name to Kombaton to avoid these issues where now lots of people can look at the history and also look at who said what.

3) Which is why I stated in other threads that I think Tom has more knowledge outside of the GM Remy Presas and his teaching.

Rich

1) Yeah I think the problems between the two brothers might have been related to several things, not really to be discussed here.

2) I'm not sure why GM changed it to Kombaton

3) Not having seen Tom's video clips, I have no clue as to what his knowledge is outside of Gm Remy's teachings.

I was just giving references where some of what Tom said are backed up in print. I mean he said that GM Ernesto created MA and we all took him to task for it. However I found in print as early as 91 where that statement was made. Wheter I agree with it or not is beside the point. I was just trying to be fair and balanced.

Also Tom states that he trained with GM Ernesto, and if GM Enresto said these things in print (as in the interview) then I can see him possibly telling Tom similar things as well. Again things that he posted here on the internet, that we took him to task for.

Mark

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich

I remember reading a thread which a breakdown of monkey's videos/clips were given. As well as links to his video clips. Could you tell me what thread they are at. I've looked and can't locate them.

If I remember right I think someone had mentioned about one of the clips that it looked like Hubd in JKD and so the inference was made that this was an outside source. GM Ernesto in his flow drills for the empty hand has a drill that looks like Vertical Fist Hubud (from JKD) or the Straight Blast Hubud however it is his EH interpretation of part of his flow drill that is his single stick sparring drill (simialr to Tapi Tapi, Sumbrada etc. etc.), I was trying to see if this is what was meant.

Mark

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mark,
Check the Members In Motion forum, under the thread "Monkey". I think thats what you're looking for.

Bob

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Boar Man said:
Rich

1) Yeah I think the problems between the two brothers might have been related to several things, not really to be discussed here.

2) I'm not sure why GM changed it to Kombaton

3) Not having seen Tom's video clips, I have no clue as to what his knowledge is outside of Gm Remy's teachings.

I was just giving references where some of what Tom said are backed up in print. I mean he said that GM Ernesto created MA and we all took him to task for it. However I found in print as early as 91 where that statement was made. Wheter I agree with it or not is beside the point. I was just trying to be fair and balanced.

Also Tom states that he trained with GM Ernesto, and if GM Enresto said these things in print (as in the interview) then I can see him possibly telling Tom similar things as well. Again things that he posted here on the internet, that we took him to task for.

Mark

1) On this point I have tried and tried not to bring dirty laundry onto this site that GM Remy specifically told me about a story where he told someone that he could be mad at his brother but no one else had the right. Since I heard the two of them talked before his death, I have been told that was behind them.

My point is that no other GM Ernesto guy is on the net trying to make the points that Tom is. It seems everyone else has a clue about how the two brothers felt and ended up resolving issues and how it seems there was some confusion on what is what and who was who.

Like I said I am not trying to disrespect GM Ernesto. That is the last thing I want to do. I am trying to walk a thin line of not bringing up old laundry and helping someone buy a clue that it seems everyone else has gotten out of simpel respect for one or both of the brothers.

So, Mark if I have offended you or anyone else who studies under GM Ernesto, that was not my intent and also not my desire. My apologies if they are needed will be offered to you and anyone else for any thing that was construed as a slight towards GM Ernesto or his system.

seibukan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It’s my understanding that Modern Arnis in the beginning was the combination of the skills of Ernesto, Remy and Fred Lazo. All three exchanged arts thus creating Modern Arnis (60-72). At that time MA was just a term used amongst themselves, until GM Lazo (using his own money) registered the name with the Securities and Exchange Commission of the Philippines making it a legal organization.

All three created Modern Arnis,when Remy came to the U.S. he had to call that his Modern Arnis., Ernesto’s Modern Arnis went on to be come Kombatan and GM Lazo's Modern Arnis turned into Luzviminda Arnis

PS I’m not trying to take anything away from Remy or anyone else, just posting what information I have.

thanks

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
seibukan said:
It’s my understanding that Modern Arnis in the beginning was the combination of the skills of Ernesto, Remy and Fred Lazo. All three exchanged arts thus creating Modern Arnis (60-72). At that time MA was just a term used amongst themselves, until GM Lazo (using his own money) registered the name with the Securities and Exchange Commission of the Philippines making it a legal organization.

All three created Modern Arnis,when Remy came to the U.S. he had to call that his Modern Arnis., Ernesto’s Modern Arnis went on to be come Kombatan and GM Lazo's Modern Arnis turned into Luzviminda Arnis

PS I’m not trying to take anything away from Remy or anyone else, just posting what information I have.

thanks

Thank you for the presentation of this information in an unbiased manner.

:) :asian:

seibukan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Just saw this and I thought I would be helpful. Ironically the question of Professors training in Japan led me to Mr. Lazo's memorial post here: http://www.martialtalk.com/remy/memories.html

He shows some pics of GM Ernesto and Professor.

As to GM Lazo... what does he teach, exactly? I have only heard of him in passing. But it is a good coincidence that I saw your (seibuken) post here, so I can ask the question from someone who trains with him regularly.

Thanks in advance...

Paul

I’m still a new student and am not very familiar with the art, So I asked and this was his reply: single stick, sinawali, Bangkaw, tabak at balaraw (espada y daga), dagger vs dagger, kamay sa kamay (mano a mano)

thanks

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
seibukan said:

I’m still a new student and am not very familiar with the art, So I asked and this was his reply: single stick, sinawali, Bangkaw, tabak at balaraw (espada y daga), dagger vs dagger, kamay sa kamay (mano a mano)

thanks

and....
GM Lazo's Modern Arnis turned into Luzviminda Arnis

Cool. That helps and answers my question. It sounds like there is a lot history there with Mr. lazo.

Thanks for sharing!

Paul

Latest Discussions