Disadvantages of Kenpo?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Orig. posted by CoolKempoDude
The biggest AK disadvantage is long name. Every AK technique has a long name and there is no number. I wonder how you memorize all these names.:D

:uhoh:

Orig. posted by CoolKempoDude
It would be nice to assign number to each technique such as basic 1 or technique 5

You must be kidding

:xtrmshock

C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

any system would have THIS problem!!

oh boy, can you point out a few disadvantage of KARAHO and Kajukenbo ????

;) thanks

C

CoolKempoDude

You must be kidding

no, i am not kidding. I don't remember everything well. Numbered technique is really helpful but if you have a good memory and remember all long names, go for it.;) :)

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolKempoDude
oh boy, can you point out a few disadvantage of KARAHO and Kajukenbo ????

;) thanks
I can, that attacking uppercut thing is just bad kenpo, but it works and thats that.
Sean

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was getting ready to debate with you the above statement..... but you answered with your next comments for me below! :rofl:

:shrug:
So how is this a disadvantage to AK? ...... it seems to me ...... any system would have THIS problem!!
:asian:
Well yeah, that would be universal; however you would think a true kenpoist would want to explore as much of say Bjj as possible so he might capitalize on any bad form expressed by his subdoer.
Sean

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson
What would actually be interesting--again!--is to seriously examine the claim to universality that American kenpo makes.
But how would you accomplish such a comparison? What would the standards be?

It reminds me of the concept behind the "universal translator" of Star-Trek. Some Kenpoists claim that the Kenpo principles (et al) are the universal translator for any martial art. Interesting concept, but of what use is this?
Could just be my own ignorance, but why care?
((honest question))
Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
COOOOOL....

This last post earned me my MT-Black Belt.
Neat-ohh

Your Brother
John

(Yall don't have to call me Mr. Haag now.... unless you are JD Nelson) ;)
:asian:

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
COOOOOL....

This last post earned me my MT-Black Belt.
Neat-ohh

Your Brother
John

(Yall don't have to call me Mr. Haag now.... unless you are JD Nelson)

Man it really did take me a whole month to find this. Must have been sleeping through class again.

:hammer:

Mr. (Can't clutch his feathers) Haag

Salute,

JD

K

kenpo12

I believe the biggest disadvantage also has to do with practitioners and it's nerdism. I'm not saying kenpo people are all nerds but look at some of the posts on this forum. "Well I say Tomato and you say it Tomato".

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I love Kenpo, but there are a couple of small things that might be considered flaws:

1) The time necessary for proficiency. There are other arts that can help a student defend themselves in a shorter period of time. (Though that doesn't make them better arts in the end.)

2) Utilizes non-natural movement. A lot of the movements in Kenpo never have felt natural to me, hindering the learning process. This might just be my own body-type.

3) The over-skill thing can get a little old. And yes, I know that it teaches us additional skills, gets us to practice basics, see new targets of opportunity, etc., but sometimes it's a bit much. Three words: Circling the Storm. Enough said.

4) I know it's been covered ad nauseam, but groundwork. And yes, I know the principles hold there, but a real curriculum would be nice.

There's also a lot that applies specifically to myself and not generally, so I won't discuss that here.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo12
I believe the biggest disadvantage also has to do with practitioners and it's nerdism. I'm not saying kenpo people are all nerds but look at some of the posts on this forum. "Well I say Tomato and you say it Tomato".

I don't get it. What are you saying the Kenpo practitioners are 'nerdy' for?
BTW: I like your word creation.

Your Brother
John

K

kenpo12

I don't get it. What are you saying the Kenpo practitioners are 'nerdy' for?

I'm not saying all kenpoists are nerds, I just think that there is way too much arguing over semantics, terminology, and minor stuff. Sometimes it just makes me want to say "Shut up, go get some gloves and duke it out!" Ya hear what I'm sayin'?

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by psi_radar
I love Kenpo, but there are a couple of small things that might be considered flaws:

1) The time necessary for proficiency. There are other arts that can help a student defend themselves in a shorter period of time. (Though that doesn't make them better arts in the end.)

2) Utilizes non-natural movement. A lot of the movements in Kenpo never have felt natural to me, hindering the learning process. This might just be my own body-type.

3) The over-skill thing can get a little old. And yes, I know that it teaches us additional skills, gets us to practice basics, see new targets of opportunity, etc., but sometimes it's a bit much. Three words: Circling the Storm. Enough said.

4) I know it's been covered ad nauseam, but groundwork. And yes, I know the principles hold there, but a real curriculum would be nice.

There's also a lot that applies specifically to myself and not generally, so I won't discuss that here.
What motions do you find awkward?
Sean

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not saying all kenpoists are nerds, I just think that there is way too much arguing over semantics, terminology, and minor stuff. Sometimes it just makes me want to say "Shut up, go get some gloves and duke it out!" Ya hear what I'm sayin'?
Sigh.

R

Rainman

That's because you don't know what the terminology is for. They are words to describe principles, concepts and theories. This is the heart of the art and they are also considered basics in my book. It is not too smart to challenge someone who knows a lot more than you do, the more concepts, theories and priniciples one can manifest to the physical state the more lethal that person is.

Any good AK black belt should be able to adapt to new terms, concepts and movements quickly. I firmly believe the person who can't is incorrectly ranked. That is a black eye for anyone who has spent the time on the mat and studying the books.

Latest Discussions