Disadvantages of Kenpo?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello,
This thread ought to raise some eyebrows. We can lavish kenpo with all sorts of compliments, but what are some disadvantages?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
Hello,
This thread ought to raise some eyebrows. We can lavish kenpo with all sorts of compliments, but what are some disadvantages?

One of its greatest Advantages is also its greatest disadvantages to me.

The Terminology and naming convention. I do not know it, and thereby do not understand more than half of the technical discussions.

I have only attended one seminar, and this was with Huk Planas. He was able to explain it to me clearly and concisely, yet sometimes he and the others helping him (* With me *) had to use other terminology.

Just A comment from an outsider.

With Respect
:asian:

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of its greatest disadvantages is not within the system itself but in the practioner's beliefs about the system. The techs are awesome, but some are more important to your overall skill level than others. In discussions I have noticed that people are placing equal importance on each, which then leads to the 154 systems being magicly better than the 120 or what ever. Its really quite amusing to read.:D
Sean

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the main disadvantage i've seen and experienced with Kenpo is the human element... whether it be traced to instuctor, student, organization, or founder.

The system is so documented with precise and objective requirements for every level, many might assume it is complete as written; however, as evidenced by discussions of flaws, holes, and lack thereof, the completeness lies between the documented words and precise requirements, and requires an enlightened human element.

Kenpo is too complex for a practitioner to simply go through the techniques and forms, learn them as written, and advance belt by belt without understanding there is much more to the art.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What are you guys talking about? There are no disadvantages to Kenpo. It is perfect. Complete. No holes whatsoever. It addresses every conceivable situation. Kenpo principles can be applied at any time. All other Martial Arts are merely subsets of Kenpo. Mr. Parker was divinely inspired. All Kenpo Seniors are divinely inspired. Even NASA uses Kenpo principles to power rocket ships.
:jediduel:

M

MisterMike

Originally posted by pete
the main disadvantage i've seen and experienced with Kenpo is the human element... whether it be traced to instuctor, student, organization, or founder.

The system is so documented with precise and objective requirements for every level, many might assume it is complete as written; however, as evidenced by discussions of flaws, holes, and lack thereof, the completeness lies between the documented words and precise requirements, and requires an enlightened human element.

Kenpo is too complex for a practitioner to simply go through the techniques and forms, learn them as written, and advance belt by belt without understanding there is much more to the art.

Bravo!

The problem is when people take a system and feel they have the beginning and the end. This makes them feel comfortable and they don't think beyond these markers.

It's like they could put it all into a book and keep it in a safe place. Then when they come across someone who doesn't know this one thing or that one thing, they feel they have the upper hand in knowledge, but that's only limiting yourself.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MisterMike
Bravo!

The problem is when people take a system and feel they have the beginning and the end. This makes them feel comfortable and they don't think beyond these markers.

It's like they could put it all into a book and keep it in a safe place. Then when they come across someone who doesn't know this one thing or that one thing, they feel they have the upper hand in knowledge, but that's only limiting yourself.
BINGO, DING DING DING.
Sean

R

rmcrobertson

What would actually be interesting--again!--is to seriously examine the claim to universality that American kenpo makes.

It would also be interesting to compare this claim with those of certain traditional styles; it's my impression that they often claima universal understanding of thye internal aspects of the arts in a way that's symmetrical with kenpo's claim to trace out the universal patterns of rational, external movement in martial arts.

M

MisterMike

Originally posted by rmcrobertson
What would actually be interesting--again!--is to seriously examine the claim to universality that American kenpo makes.

It would also be interesting to compare this claim with those of certain traditional styles; it's my impression that they often claima universal understanding of thye internal aspects of the arts in a way that's symmetrical with kenpo's claim to trace out the universal patterns of rational, external movement in martial arts.

Robert,

Are you looking to compare how the traditional arts look to simplified motions based on say, nature, or animals and compare it to how Kenpo looks at the human anatomical applications?

I think that's what makes each art unique, and just that, an art. I think when "system" is used, it places more emphasis on an intellectual aspect than the traditional spiritual viewpoint.

It's a good point to reflect on, if that was your point :D

C

CoolKempoDude

the biggest AK disadvantage is long name.

every AK technique has a long name and there is no number. I wonder how you memorize all these names.:D

it would be nice to assign number to each technique such as basic 1 or technique 5

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolKempoDude
the biggest AK disadvantage is long name.

every AK technique has a long name and there is no number. I wonder how you memorize all these names.:D

it would be nice to assign number to each technique such as basic 1 or technique 5
Actualy they are numbered. Out of 154 they are generaly learned in order or at least listed in order. However the orders are not universal from school to school. Oh well.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually like the names...even though they are kind of goofy...They help you remember the techniques. Search MartialTalk for an old thread that translates what each word means. I've trained in other martail arts that don't have names--that use numbers or Japanese or just expect you to remember--these are really difficult to learn.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One disadvantage I can think of is that we generaly train "like vs like". Enter someone doing somthing not so logical and we either rise to the challange or fold like a house of cards in combat. Once again its not the art but the practitioner refusing to explore some of the crap we might get hit with out on the street.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Orig. posted by Touch'O'Death
One disadvantage I can think of is that we generaly train "like vs like". Enter someone doing somthing not so logical and we either rise to the challange or fold like a house of cards in combat.

I was getting ready to debate with you the above statement..... but you answered with your next comments for me below! :rofl:

Orig. posted by Touch'O'Death
Once again its not the 'ART' but the practitioner or instructor refusing to explore some of the crap we might get hit with out on the street.

:shrug:
So how is this a disadvantage to AK? ...... it seems to me ...... any system would have THIS problem!!
:asian:

Latest Discussions