Difficult Techs.

R

rmcrobertson

Well, I still say they don't have to all be finger slices.

More to the point, from Step 10 on, I was taught this:

With the left inverted outward "eye slice" (or whatever the hell that is), unwind to a right neutral bow, grabbing the opponent's left hand and pulling down together with a right downward hammer-fist to the bicep.

Front cross to 7:30, continuing to scrape down the opponent's right arm with your right hammer, and stepping out to a right neutral bow/delivering a right back-knuckle to their temple as you, "stretch," them out and down, pulling them forward into the strike.

Run like crazy.

D

dcence

rmcrobertson said:
Well, I still say they don't have to all be finger slices.

More to the point, from Step 10 on, I was taught this:

With the left inverted outward "eye slice" (or whatever the hell that is), unwind to a right neutral bow, grabbing the opponent's left hand and pulling down together with a right downward hammer-fist to the bicep.

Front cross to 7:30, continuing to scrape down the opponent's right arm with your right hammer, and stepping out to a right neutral bow/delivering a right back-knuckle to their temple as you, "stretch," them out and down, pulling them forward into the strike.

Run like crazy.

Ahhhh, Don't tell me you changed a technique!?! Ahhh, heresy...! LOL, Just foolin' wich ya'.

I really think Mr. Parker was just trying to show how you can use clumps of Finger Set in a technique given the resemblance between the two including the circling five finger claw.

Reactions: Les

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
Dance of Death + I just don't like the way the oponents leg coems up between your legs. And it is to hard to control that leg effectively.

Rick
I'll fix that for you. :partyon:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yepper, "Straddling the Paddle" is not a good thing. Most Kenpo instructors I know, can ensure that this is not part of your technique. I would take DOC up on his offer if you are anywhere near him.

There have also been some threads on this a long, long, long time ago. You may want to try an advanced search on this website for some clues that would work for you.

-Michael

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Excuse me, but the Dance of Death tech is not designed to work against a step through punch. The idea is that the force of this guy's punch, off the back hand, forces him to then step through; so, you may either hit the groin or tag the inside of his thigh as he steps. Remember your never going to be attacked with a step through punch on the street, so there really isn't any hurry to train against them, or attempt techniques against them, for that matter.
Sean:)
OMG, WTF are you talking about?

Dark Lord

M

meni

Squatting sacrifice (rear bear hug - arms free), Squeezing the peach (rear bear hug - arms pinned),and this i just can't stand Circling windmills (two-hand push followed by right punch with your back near a wall )

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
OMG, WTF are you talking about?

Dark Lord
you either know the attack or you don't. You FWBH basket ball Dunken CB. I don't know your abrev., so I thought I'd add a few of my own :partyon: . :uhyeah:
Sean :asian:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Squatting Sacrifice seems to be a reoccurring theme...it's especially a bear on opposite side...no pun intended.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Originally Posted by Touch'O'Death
Excuse me, but the Dance of Death tech is not designed to work against a step through punch. ... Remember your never going to be attacked with a step through punch on the street, so there really isn't any hurry to train against them, or attempt techniques against them, for that matter.
Amen. The whole "step-through" thing is another clear example of things left over from the traditional influences in Hawaii in the early years. Ed Parker Sr. abandoned that in the sixties. However he left it in his commercial interpretation because it allowed students to "see" the attacker coming and gave them time to work out their technique responses and react appropriately. However he also thought that at some point in time, teachers would instruct their students without such accoutrements. He always referred to this methodology as a "phonetic attack." not a literal one. So in the elementary stages of learning "motion," it philosophically fits perfectly.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Amen, Doc. It is much easier to teach a student to block a step through punch with plenty of telegraphed warning. After they learn how to punch slower punches, you can ratchet the training up a notch and make 'em block shorter more realistic punches.

D

dcence

Chronuss said:
Squatting Sacrifice seems to be a reoccurring theme...it's especially a bear on opposite side...no pun intended.

Just a little anecdote. Years ago, I had a smart alec teenager come up from behind me, grab me in a bear hug (arms pinnned) and ask, "Okay, Mr. KarateMan, whatcha gonna do now?" He found himself on his back ala Squatting Sacrifice. He is now a blackbelt in the AKKI.

M

meni

dcence said:
Just a little anecdote. Years ago, I had a smart alec teenager come up from behind me, grab me in a bear hug (arms pinnned) and ask, "Okay, Mr. KarateMan, whatcha gonna do now?" He found himself on his back ala Squatting Sacrifice. He is now a blackbelt in the AKKI.

that's the way eduction with an explantion

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
jeffkyle said:
Scraping Hoof. I have never liked this technique, simply because i am skinny and no matter how hard I try to become one with gravity it is usually easy for the attacker just to pick me up and throw me around.

There are more, I just can't think right now....:shrug:

You know I can fix that for you. Guaranteed.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
You know I can fix that for you. Guaranteed.

Is it wisdom you can offer over the forum in a way that I would understand? I have the same problem. I'm too small.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rick Wade
Dance of Death + I just don't like the way the oponents leg coems up between your legs. And it is to hard to control that leg effectively.

Rick

sumdumguy said:
Just a tip, take it for what it's worth? when stepping into your opp step into a close kneel with your left knee either pinning or positionally checking the opp's right leg. Use the checking leg as sort of a guideline to bring the opp's leg up and clear of your groin.
:asian:

Rick,
Simply correcting the footwork should do the trick. When stepping through your opponent while deliviering the elbow shot, step to eleven o'clock.

Sumdumguy,
Getting into a close kneel stance shortens your base and will make you unstable. I agree that it will give you the groin coverage, but remember the opponent should be on his back and you should be holding his right leg (at the ankle) in your left hand. He's probably going to squirm and try to get off the ground, he'll probably try to kick you if you loose control of the right leg too. Having a shortened base will most likely cause you to loose your balance in that situation. To dangerous for my blood...

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpo_cory said:
Is it wisdom you can offer over the forum in a way that I would understand? I have the same problem. I'm too small.
I wish I could but it is a series of body postures, foot maneuvers, Index Braces, misalignment and alignment mechanisms that must be felt in person.

J

jeffkyle

Doc said:
I wish I could but it is a series of body postures, foot maneuvers, Index Braces, misalignment and alignment mechanisms that must be felt in person.

Doc,

Next time I make it to Sunny CA. I will look you up. ;) :)

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:

I understand. Maybe someday I'll have the privilege of meeting you in person. :asian:

Latest Discussions