Difficult Techs.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
(1) Which technique has been the most difficult for you to learn and/or practice and why?

(2) Which technique is your least favorite and why?

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
1) Circling the Storm

It's not a technique, it's a form!

2) Marriage of the Rams

Also known as the "Rockette" or "Stooges" technique. We just sort of get that one out of the way in the line. Silly. Almost tied with "Escape from the Storm," also known as "The Groin-slap of Death."

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1) Piercing Lance, Circles of Protection, Circling Windmills, Ext. to Obscure Sword, Twist of Fate, Unfolding the Dark

2) By far, Unfolding the Dark.
reason: I just have a hard time with the whole tech.:shrug:

J

jeffkyle

Scraping Hoof. I have never liked this technique, simply because i am skinny and no matter how hard I try to become one with gravity it is usually easy for the attacker just to pick me up and throw me around.

There are more, I just can't think right now....:shrug:

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
On one of his entries, I'm with Jason .... I had 'Twist of Fate' on a reply earlier today ... but then I didn't post. It really is a pain to try and run at speed ... somebody could get hurt.

Oh, Yeah ... and there will be no running with scissors!

Oddly, I don't think Circles of Protection is all that difficult. Different strokes .. right ?

Mike

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shodan

(2) Which technique is your least favorite and why?

Dance of Death + I just don't like the way the oponents leg coems up between your legs. And it is to hard to control that leg effectively.

Rick

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shodan
(1) Which technique has been the most difficult for you to learn and/or practice and why?

Flashing Mace, because twirling round in the middle just makes me start to lose my sense of perspective, and then twirling back again send it right out of the window! I like to keep my eye on what I'm aiming for!

(2) Which technique is your least favorite and why? [/B]

Scraping Hoof, because, well, it's crap.

Ian.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dance of Death + I just don't like the way the oponents leg coems up between your legs. And it is to hard to control that leg effectively.

Rick: Do you do this technique against a step-through punch or a reverse punch?
If you do it against a reverse punch, step with your left leg inside their right leg when you block.
If you do it against a step through punch, try checking their width with your left knee against their right as you block. Then, reposition your left foot inbetween the legs as you grab the right knee.

R

rmcrobertson

Iggzactly. Never straddle the paddle.
Strictly speaking, too, it sounds like your prob's with the attack...interesting, because this is the first kenpo tech that the system teaches that has what many would call a "realistic, "attack--a shuffle-punch, much like a boxer's punch, rather than a somewhat-idealized step-through...

As for "Scraping Hoovers, " try this:

a) make sure the attack is an attempted full nelson (the tech is going to be succeeded by Repeated devastation and Twirling Sacrifice);

b) as they start--only start-to bring your arms up, stomp left onto their left instep, then drag that foot back in to a narrow horse stance, shooting your arms down as though you were doing two downward-angled punches and arching your back/throwing your head back, like a kid throwing a tantrum;

c) pivot to your right into a right rear bow (a no-no pretty much everywhere else in kenpo), while keeping their left arm pinned and throwing a right elbow into their right forearm;

d) drag your right foot in to a right cat, then ball kick inside their right knee/turn the ball kick into a right side-kick just as it starts to sink in, and scrape and stomp down onto their right instep;

e) repeat on the other side, et voila! Le Hooves Scre-ping.

The ending's nasty too, allowing you to abbreviate the technique in reponse to the opponent and start breaking their legs/buckling them into the ground...

With this technique, absurdly-anal form really helps.

Hope this helps.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rick Wade

Rick
Excuse me, but the Dance of Death tech is not designed to work against a step through punch. The idea is that the force of this guy's punch, off the back hand, forces him to then step through; so, you may either hit the groin or tag the inside of his thigh as he steps. Remember your never going to be attacked with a step through punch on the street, so there really isn't any hurry to train against them, or attempt techniques against them, for that matter.
Sean:)

R

rmcrobertson

Axly, you might very well get stepped through on, especially if you're backpedaling.

Or to quote Gene Wilder, "It.....could....WORK!!!"

And I seem to remember getting chewed out, recently and more than once, for refusing to accept that some things might just happen.

Nonetheless, "Dance of Death," in its ideal phase, works against a right shuffle-punch. No step-through.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Robert,
Given that a step through punch may happen at some tournament or at a karate school, I cant recomend forcing the technique "Dance of Death". I guess the best thing to do might be Back breaker or attacking mace.
Sean :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Never? Maybe never a step-through straight punch, but possibly a step-through haymaker-roundhouse?
If a guy knows Karate I suppose he may do as he was trained; however, street fighters or just people in general are paying much more attaention to hitting you with there fist than to time the step through just right. Any high school football player is going to launch that haymaker right from where his feet are at the time he sees the shot. Just like he launches into the practice pads.
Sean

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Never? Maybe never a step-through straight punch, but possibly a step-through haymaker-roundhouse?

I don't think I would say never. Dance of Death could work against a step through, you just have to make some adjustments. It might not be the "ideal" technique to use in this situation, but it is conceivable that you could get it to work.

Brian Jones

R

rmcrobertson

I'd argue that it's just as fallacious to think that an attacker will never step through as it is to think that they always will--in fact, I'd argue, it's the same issue.

I'd also point out that Scraping Hooves is a good example of why never to say never, because we never, ever use a rear bow in kenpo--they're dangerous--and yet, there the damn thing is.

D

dcence

You guys are dead wrong. The hardest technique to pull off in the EPAK curriculum is Circling Windmills bar-none. In all the tests, in all the seminars they tried to teach it, whereever, including Pasadena, I never once saw it done where I would say -- "Yeah, that could work." At some point you have to say, "Dude that technique isn't happening."

As far as Dance of Death, you better learn how to do it with the right leg forward, because you can't say to the guy half way through the technique when you finally realize their right leg is in front -- "Hey man, switch your legs, would you?" Changing the attack is the easy way out. Learn to pull the leg laterally, instead of straight up. Also, make an adjustment step with your left leg moving down the circle as you lift and elbow. Or after the reverse handsword to the goods, move into Brushing the Storm, sweeping the ankle with your right hand (same ting).

Have you ever contemplated -- "maybe the technique is the problem, not me"? Just don't feel bad if a technique has never felt like you could really wear it.

Derek