Did you kick anything in your Shotokan or Goju Ryu kick training?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
See people who either willingly or unwillingly make silly replies like this and take an attitude, get the same back. I did not ask if every Goju ryu school on the planet has one, nor did I imply it.

Generally speaking, based on your observations, are there heavy bags hanging in Goju Ruy dojos?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes you did. The 's' at the end of a word, like dojo, kinda shows you did.

No I did not. That is an absurd interpretation. Do I have to qualify every question with generally? It's not obvious to you that's what I meant?

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Really though, you seem to be all over the place w
See people who either willingly or unwillingly make silly replies like this and take an attitude, get the same back. I did not ask if every Goju ryu school on the planet has one, nor did I imply it.

Generally speaking, based on your observations, are there heavy bags hanging in Goju Ruy dojos?
You are simply just changing things to suit your argument. You did say 'Goju Dojo's" that would indicate, that you are asking if all GoJu Dojo's have hanging bags.

My kids try that same tactic all the time.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Really though, you seem to be all over the place w

You are simply just changing things to suit your argument. You did say 'Goju Dojo's" that would indicate, that you are asking if all GoJu Dojo's have hanging bags.

My kids try that same tactic all the time.

No I didn't..Nobody could possibly have been to every Goju dojo in the world, hence why this shouldn't even be considered a valid interpretation

However, did you not state there's a Shudokan curriculum?

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No I didn't..Nobody could possibly have been to every Goju dojo in the world, hence why this shouldn't even be considered a valid interpretation

However, did you not state there's a Shudokan curriculum?
Really, talking to this type of mentality, is something I have no patience for. I will refrain from commenting on your threads.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did I ask if every school has it or is that your interpretation?
It is implied in your statements. If not literally “every”, then at least as a solid rule.

You say “does Goju do this” and “does Shotokan do that”, well that implies you are looking for a rule with few or no exceptions. So yes, every or nearly every dojo.

Look, a bit of friendly advice here: you came in with a really weird attitude here, like you have all the answers and you are going to teach us all how wrong we are. Nobody is going to be receptive to that approach. There are a whole lot of people here who have been training for much longer than you have been alive. You are a red belt in some school or other. That is unimpressive. You are not an authority. We have zero reason to take your advice as something that we can learn from.

Chill out. Engage in discussion but drop the attitude.

At this point you might want to start a new thread where you own up to the mistakes you have made here in terms of online discussion etiquette, and then move on. You may still be able to become a positive, contributing member of this online community. Otherwise you are quickly becoming a pariah.

Which do you want to be? It’s up to you.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think you missed his point. Maybe @Buka will clarify it for you. If he is willing to suffer you.

"If he is willing to suffer you". That's an attitude. We call that being a prick where I'm from so why don't you start and set an example?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"If he is willing to suffer you". That's an attitude. We call that being a prick where I'm from so why don't you start and set an example?
You aren’t here to school me son. Pick your own path. Best of luck to you. I expect you will need it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And this could get you banned. But of course supporting members are free to break whatever rule They want.
There is a little “report” button in the lower left corner of every post. If you feel I have broken a rule then feel free to report my post. The moderators will review it and take any action that they deem is appropriate.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I can't speak to all shotokan groups I do know a lot of shotokan practitioners and have seen far more in competitions over past 50 years of my journey in the martial arts. I did about 6 months of goju ryu while in the military and yes we did kick shields and heavy bags. I tell you what those shotokan people are hard punchers and kickers. Having been a boxer, a nak muay, and having been a muay thai & a mma coach for many years people don't become hard strikers by striking the air. They strike pads, shields, heavy bags and humans when sparring or in competitions. Others mileage may vary.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While I can't speak to all shotokan groups I do know a lot of shotokan practitioners and have seen far more in competitions over past 50 years of my journey in the martial arts. I did about 6 months of goju ryu while in the military and yes we did kick shields and heavy bags. I tell you what those shotokan people are hard punchers and kickers. Having been a boxer, a nak muay, and having been a muay thai & a mma coach for many years people don't become hard strikers by striking the air. They strike pads, shields, heavy bags and humans when sparring or in competitions. Others mileage may vary.

I can't find a single Shotokan class online where they kick things. We may need to hire a detective because I give up.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
people don't become hard strikers by striking the air. .

Whang Jang Lee did according to his student Roy Horan. He never had him kick at anything, to which Horan asked how can you get the timing right and things and Whang replied to him: "don't worry it will take care of itself"

Even more amazing, Hwang had no formal training in martial arts. He just showed up for gradings.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't find a single Shotokan class online where they kick things. We may need to hire a detective because I give up.
don't know.png
Went to youtube, wrote in 'shotokan kicking heavy bag' several videos came up showing persons kicking bags. Now none showed a group of people as in a class however, the few I viewed had multiple bags of different sorts which I deduce that multiple persons are using them and not just 1 or two.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[. Now none showed a group of people as in a class however, the few I viewed had multiple bags of different sorts which I deduce that multiple persons are using them and not just 1 or two.

You don't find that suspicious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions