Did you kick anything in your Shotokan or Goju Ryu kick training?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So you threw an accurate kick without losing your balance. You've been doing TKD for a couple years right? I would assume that's something any TKD black belt can do.

Not at that level of intensity they can't and not without hitting something. You're welcome to pull footage of somebody doing it, and he is not allowed to rest on a target. If you find someone doing it, I bet you he's famous:)

Oh and I'm a red belt but no matter.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at that level of intensity they can't and not without hitting something. You're welcome to pull footage of somebody doing it, and he is not allowed to rest on a target. If you find someone doing it, I bet you he's famous:)

Oh and I'm a red belt but no matter.
You know who I bet can do that? The guys at those "kick the air" dojos. They probably get pretty good at doing that without needing a target.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You know who I bet can do that? The guys at those "kick the air" dojos. They probably get pretty good at doing that without needing a target.

That's right and I'm one of them. I certainly advocate kicking air.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Am I the only one confused here? Lets recap...

In fact, one of the things i requested to join was that we kicked things and not just air in my email to the school:)

First, its important to kick targets, not just air. Then we attacked Shotokan and Goju Ryu specifically, because all they do is kick air.

Then we point out, that kicking things with resistance is dangerous...

People are ignorant. Take a guess why it's bad long-term for the knees kicking a hard, heavy bag. This isn't rocket science.

Do you think kicking a door is good for your knees? If you don't think that, then you don't think it's good to kick a heavy bag for your knees either.

by insulting both your own intelligence and mine arguing that there are no health aspects of KICKING a heavy bag?

Again, how do your knees feel when there's resistance? Not so good, huh? How about hard resistance? Not so good either? Lets make that hard and heavy and suddenly it's perfectly healthy.

Once we have established how bad it is to kick things with resistance...

That's right and I'm one of them. I certainly advocate kicking air.

We are advocating kicking air.... which I believe is exactly opposite of what we said when the thread was started.

But, at least you owned up and showed off your kick... that way we can all see for ourselves the level you are at. Get back to me when you figure out if Shotokan and Goju Ryu are good because they kick air or bad because they don't kick targets. I'll be happy to resume the dialog, once you figure out what your position is.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

First, its important to kick targets, not just air. Then we attacked Shotokan and Goju Ryu specifically, because all they do is kick air.

We are advocating kicking air.... which I believe is exactly opposite of what we said when the thread was started.

But, at least you owned up and showed off your kick... that way we can all see for ourselves the level you are at. Get back to me when you figure out if Shotokan and Goju Ryu are good because they kick air or bad because they don't kick targets. I'll be happy to resume the dialog, once you figure out what your position is.

It's not either or. You need to do both.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dojo72.jpg

I was a red belt once, back in 72. I don't remember any of our instructors allowing ungentlemanly
behavior, arrogance or insults. I don't know, maybe TKD is different where you are.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I thought I was the only one noticing the flip flop. Thanks for confirming I'm not just going crazy.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I thought I was the only one noticing the flip flop. Thanks for confirming I'm not just going crazy.

So me saying that kicking air only is bad equates to saying kicking air is bad? And me being against kicking a heavy bag means that I'm against kicking anything?

I wrote medium soft kicking shields are the way to go IMO.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So me saying that kicking air only is bad equates to saying kicking air is bad? And me being against kicking a heavy bag means that I'm against kicking anything?

I wrote medium soft kicking shields are the way to go IMO.
All apparently based on your own vague notions.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That you have presented arguments without support? Yes, I agreed with that.

You agreed that kicking something is essential to a kick art. And I gather you also agree that kicking something here and there is not going to cut it. It's not going to instill much.

There are two reasons why you need the experience of kicking something. First is to understand range in relation to ones limbs. This might sound trivial but it's very common, I would say a given, that someone new to kicking things will kick too close or too far away from the target.

Second of all, air does not correct improper technique but kicking shields do. If you don't do it properly you will bounce of it.

Not having had the experience of resistance is in and of itself a downside.

One can sort of get when a kick thrown in the air wasn't crisp, but you can never get any input whether kick A had a better effect than kick B..You just don’t know until it hits something. In other words the spectrum is totally lost.

Finally, kicking things work power more efficiently,since you are doing the same motions +resistance. And not just one over the other

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You agreed that kicking something is essential to a kick art. And I gather you also agree that kicking something here and there is not going to cut it. It's not going to instill much.

There are two reasons why you need the experience of kicking something. First is to understand range in relation to ones limbs. This might sound trivial but it's very common, I would say a given, that someone new to kicking things will kick too close or too far away from the target.

Second of all, air does not correct improper technique but kicking shields do. If you don't do it properly you will bounce of it.

Not having had the experience of resistance is in and of itself a downside.

One can sort of get when a kick thrown in the air wasn't crisp, but you can never get any input whether kick A had a better effect than kick B..You just don’t know until it hits something. In other words the spectrum is totally lost.

Finally, kicking things work power more efficiently,since you are doing the same motions +resistance. And not just one over the other

I clicked the "Like" button here, because after 7 pages... you finally clearly stated your position. This really should have been in post #1.

Maybe dial back the attitude a bit... and clearly state your full position up front, and we can have a decent discussion about it. You might even find out that most of the people here, that you have been arguing against, actually agree that you need both. This could have gone on to discuss the different ratios of air kicks vs resistance kicks, or into what are different methods for air kicks or resistance kicks. But instead, we went 7 pages arguing about something that we all basically agree with.

If you just want to argue, have attitude and call people out... there are other forums.... I kind of like this one, as we try to discuss things like adults. (or at least like children who pretend to be adults sometimes)

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I clicked the "Like" button here, because after 7 pages... you finally clearly stated your position. This really should have been in post #1.

Maybe dial back the attitude a bit... and clearly state your full position up front, and we can have a decent discussion about it. You might even find out that most of the people here, that you have been arguing against, actually agree that you need both. This could have gone on to discuss the different ratios of air kicks vs resistance kicks, or into what are different methods for air kicks or resistance kicks. But instead, we went 7 pages arguing about something that we all basically agree with.

If you just want to argue, have attitude and call people out... there are other forums.... I kind of like this one, as we try to discuss things like adults. (or at least like children who pretend to be adults sometimes)

Selective memory?

Let's recap, shall we? You don't train, you can't kick, your stance is weak, your transition from stance to a weak kick meanders to keep your balance.

Yet, you're here to sarcastically insults members of this forum. What's wrong, kid, mama slap you upside the head and threw away the milk, did she?

Status
Not open for further replies.