Destressing

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, I mean anything.

Hitting the Bag? Listening to music? (What kind?) Walking? Running? Meditation? Kata? Reading?

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
sorry. couldn't resist.

i spend time with peers. running a studio leaves me sadly without peer contact on the average day: everyone is either an employee, a student, or my teacher. so talking and hanging out with people who aren't looking to me for guidance or instruction is a big thing.

i also read, listen to music (power metal a favorite, but all genres) and play tabletop rpgs.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the summer, I love to wake up in the morning grab a cup of coffee and sit in the back yard. I watch the birds, the air is crisp and cool and the sun is shining in my face. :)

In the winter, I am just screwed, lol ;)

Actually, I like to sit and be by myself when I am stressed. It allows me to put things in order and forumulate a plan to rectify whatever it is that is stressing me. Talking to friends and family helps lots too and a good stretching session doesn't hurt either.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heavy bag training, a long walk through the woods,
listening to my favorite music, reading a good book, spending time with friends, weight lifting, or eating chocolate ice cream! :)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Push ups, Kata, sometimes bagwork, My favorite is probably long range shooting though. Takes a lot of focus that usually diverts my attention from the stressor.

Jeff

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Martial arts, fishing, hunting, camping, canoeing, writing, sex...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Other than martial arts...

as...much...as...it...kills...me...to...say...this...running. I hate running. I run to abuse myself. The pain makes whatever is bothering me seem insignificant.

Massage, giving or receiving.

Surfing MT ;) In all seriousness, an intellectual discussion has a way of getting me refocused.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Music, playing (Jazz Gospel and/or Jazz) or listening (Koto and etc Asian)
Reading anything, even a catalog.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Punch the bag, read, write, listen to my ipod very loudly while laying on the roof... take very long hot baths/showers.

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A nice long bath with bubbles and epsom salts. A glass of red wine and some dark chocolate does wonders! Going to MA class does a great deal to get rid of my stress especially if we get to hit and kick that night. Playing video games, walking my dog, and reading are great relaxers for me. Also cooking. If I have an issue I need to work through/deal with, then being in the kitchen and cooking my butt off, allows me to focus on the issue and gain some insight on how to handle it. :)

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Surfing MT ;) In all seriousness, an intellectual discussion has a way of getting me refocused.

MT does the same for me - or at least it did until I joined Staff. LOL.

Walking, painting (although sometimes this INCREASES my stress level!) and, I know it sounds crazy, but eating fruit and drinking vegetable juice. Psychoanalyze that!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
i do pottery, do forms/poomse, kickbox the bag, new for me- practice with sticks, walk the dog(s) preferable time in the evening-before dusk, train the dog (obedience), read, sew quilts-so simple but relaxing, hook rugs, crochet yet another throw, bake, take a bubble bath, and something I do less and less, an all out attack on the dust in the house. Something about no holds barred cleaning puts your mind off "distressing" things like "grown up daughters" or stuff you cannot change at the dojang. We also go to bluegrass festivals as my hubby is in four bands. Someday I should learn to play the Bass. ;) TW

Latest Discussions