Pros and Cons of Carrying A Weapon

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the Isolated Places thread in this section, I noticed that some people suggested carrying a weapon, such as a gun, mace/pepper spray, etc. to use in the event someone tried to attack you.

I'm certainly not against anyone carrying something with them. IMO, if you need to use it and if it saves your life, that is the goal. However, if someone was to carry a gun or mace, are these items going to be easily accessable in the event that you need them? Unless they are already in your hand, what are the odds that you're going to be able to be able to get to it, aim, and have it be effective before the attacker is able to counter anything you're doing?

Keys are a great tool, and no matter how you're holding them, they can be effective. A gun however, is going to need to be aimed at the person in order for it to be effective. In addition, is the person who is using that gun going to be able to function under circumstances that are usually not covered in the average gun class. Low light, a ton of stress as well as a moving target, are all factors that need to be taken into consideration.

So, thoughts?

Mike

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is a very good question. I have a conceal carry permit and do often carry but it really isn't immediately available most of the time. I carry a knife clipped into my pocket that is easily accessible (I am ordering a good tactical folder this week). I use it alot to cut things, so it would most likely be with me if I needed it. However, the more I train, the more I see that, one cannot rely on using the weapon. I think the weapon can often lure the owner into a FALSE sense of security. More emphasis should ALWAYS be put on situational awareness, and good body skills, hopefully, everyone won't forget their hands, arms, legs, and feet at home when they leave.

I guess that is a long winded way of saying, I am more inclined to recommend to people to not get focused on a weapon, train, be aware and know your environment (cover and escape routes). You don't always have to engage the enemy.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
That is a very good question. I have a conceal carry permit and do often carry but it really isn't immediately available most of the time. I carry a knife clipped into my pocket that is easily accessible (I am ordering a good tactical folder this week). I use it alot to cut things, so it would most likely be with me if I needed it. However, the more I train, the more I see that, one cannot rely on using the weapon. I think the weapon can often lure the owner into a FALSE sense of security. More emphasis should ALWAYS be put on situational awareness, and good body skills, hopefully, everyone won't forget their hands, arms, legs, and feet at home when they leave.

I guess that is a long winded way of saying, I am more inclined to recommend to people to not get focused on a weapon, train, be aware and know your environment (cover and escape routes). You don't always have to engage the enemy.

Great points! Personally, I see more people with a blade clipped to their side, than I do a gun. As you said, much more accessable, can be opened with ease, and is not something that needs to be held in a certain way in order for it to be effective. Also alot more effective in close.

Mike

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
As you said, much more accessable, can be opened with ease, and is not something that needs to be held in a certain way in order for it to be effective. Also alot more effective in close.

Mike

At this point in my training and so forth, I think I prefer the knife because of it's multi-use capability.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
At this point in my training and so forth, I think I prefer the knife because of it's multi-use capability.

Ditto. Since training in the FMA's, I've come to see the blade in a different light.

Mike

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Being that I am a silat player..I usually carry a Kershaw torsion blade. Nice and quick like a switch but totally legal. Not to mention all the above points but the largest selling point is not going the jail for brandishing a firearm even if its in self-defense. I am now in the people's republic of california...So only criminals can conceal carry here. But either way, a knife attracts no attention, no red flags and can open some taped boxes. Also the knife allows for you to both inflict more damage(Open arteries, severe muscles, etc) compared to a gun. Sides, the self defense plea will stick a little more if you are using a pocket knife even with the most liberal of judge.

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
PRO: its a weapon!

CON: its a weapon!

Remember as with all weapons do not pull it and wave it about...pull it and use it IMMEDIATELY!

It can very easily go from working for you to working against you!

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
If you are to carry a weapon, then you should train yourself to use it. Which means you need to practice drawing your weapon of choice.

For example, when training with your weapon, you should not always train with it in your hand. Just like we train to defend ourselves when we are in a natural stance (not in a fighting stance), you should train with the weapon sheathed. So if a situation arises, you know how to get to your weapon while in the process of defending yourself.

As to gun, learn how to point shoot. Aiming will not happen if your are attacked.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
Also the knife allows for you to both inflict more damage(Open arteries, severe muscles, etc) compared to a gun.

I don't know if you've ever seen the damage a gunshot can do, but it's pretty severe, obviously, depending on the caliber.

The real problem with weapons is that they may give the person an undeserved sense of safety, but so can martial arts training. What makes a knife in the hands of someone who's never used one in the context of trying or practicing to hurt someone else better than a gun? Both are very simple to use, stab and cut, point and click...?

I recommended carrying a weapon, but I also recommended putting some serious time into training it. If you're really worried about your safety, carry a knife and a gun, and wear them so they ARE accessible. Practice drawing, think ahead and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Weapons are worthless, or even worse, if you can't access them and it doesn't matter what you are carrying if you are not prepared enough or skilled enough to use it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Con: different legalities and licensing requirements in different states...esp. difficult for those of us that live near near a state line or two. Or three. Or four...

Pro: Keys are legal to conceal and carry in all SIX New England states! Woo hoo!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Accessable or not, having a weapon is a good thing, IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT.

If you get into a confrontation and cannot get your weapon, so be it. Thats why we train without them, right? But having it, like any tool, at a crucial moment, is a plus as well. Ite a pain to pound nails with your hand, and its hard to turn a nut with your fingers... so having those things, even if you dont always need them is a good thing right? How is a weapon different?

I cant really go into a list of pros-cons, because I think that can vary from person to person, weapon to weapon, location to location.

For Example. Ive practiced yanking my belt out of the loops in my pants, and can get it out pretty fast... So, I always have it, Pro, but a flexible weapon like that is difficult to use well without a lot pf practice... Con.

Someone else might be great with flexible weapons, but never wear a belt, or not be adept at removing theirs in a pinch... so the pro/con thing is reversed.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think one that can be either a pro or a con is to know yourself and what you are capable of. For example, I a buddy of mine who is a martial artist in a different style than me, he is a great guy but a bit complex. He has his gun license, but I fear that someone may tell him something stupid some day and he might just use the gun on the person. I guess what I am getting at is your own personality if you can control yourself and use the weapon in a life threatening situation then sure that is a pro, but if you have a short temper then maybe best to not carry one.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
I don't know if you've ever seen the damage a gunshot can do, but it's pretty severe, obviously, depending on the caliber.
\\

Well obviously, but my main point was just that people will more than likely not cry if your carrying or have to use a knife.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you carry a weapon of anykind you must be prepared to be stabbed, hit or shot by that weapon. I think I prefer weapons such as keys, a pen or what ever else is immediately available in your environment. I don't know where you guys live but I don't need to worry about arming myself
Cheers
Sam

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Last night, I knew I was going into what could very quickly turn into a domestic violence situation. Before I even got into the car to head out there, I made sure to take off my knife.

I was prepared for it to go anyway it was gonna go, but I didn't want to have any part in escalating any conflicts. And I didn't want any chance for me to have to explain why I'd brought a weapon into such a situation.

Thankfully, the person I was worried about was just as interested in avoiding problems, and I did have a good night.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
I guess what I am getting at is your own personality if you can control yourself and use the weapon in a life threatening situation then sure that is a pro, but if you have a short temper then maybe best to not carry one.
That is a very good point. For instance, my brother wigs out to easily and he just recently bought a handgun. He knows how to handle firearms, he has been around them all his life and was also in the USMC. Now he is talking about a conceal carry permit. I don't think that is a good idea. I hunt with him often, go the gun range, etc. But it is other times I worry about him. When he talks about it, I passively do not encourage his excitement in getting it, by not entertaining the conversation. He simply lacks the self control to carry something like that.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lots of good advice here.

If you decide to move forward towards carrying a knife, gun or spray, you should practice with it - a lot. If you have the capability of using your imagination to where you can visualize an extremely fast-paced full frontal assault on your person to where your heart rate is up, you're shakey and physically try to pull whatever your weapon of choice is and use it effectively, that's fairly good training, but you need more, imo.

Nervous hands and a gun or knife are a dangerous match to the carrier. For the time being, using something you use every day (like the cologne spray we were talking about in another thread) or carrying your keys on a lanyard or cord such that you can swing them ... something you have in your hands a lot is what makes the best improvised weapon until you can put a lot of time training into an edged weapon or firearm or spray.

A pen is another good one - a steel pen carried properly. Someone else suggested keys on another thread - I'll see if I can hook my digital camera up and post a shot of a good way to carry a pen or key.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For all you smokers, I always suggest a Bic lighter. Held bottom up, it's very concealable and that corner is still strong enough to do some wicked damage.

To continue a tangent from my above post, it's important to remember that you're carrying a weapon both for deployment and for instances when just carrying a weapon will get you into trouble. I'm going through a divorce right now (unrelated to last night's trouble), and twice now I've gotten all the way to the metal detectors at the courthouse before remembering that I'm carrying a knife. This is a seriously bad slip, and thankfully I've never forgotten about it totally and had to have the guard find it on my person.

It's also a seriously bad idea to carry a weapon into a bar, and frequently a seperate crime all its own.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unless you know your life is in danger; I`d say that carrying a gun or a knife is a very bad idea. These are tools for killing, not defence. If you know you are in danger from someone, contact the police. I`ve seen too many people get sliced up by their own knives in a situation wich clearly could by avoided.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cirdan said:
Unless you know your life is in danger; I`d say that carrying a gun or a knife is a very bad idea. These are tools for killing, not defence. If you know you are in danger from someone, contact the police. I`ve seen too many people get sliced up by their own knives in a situation wich clearly could by avoided.

While I agree that your own weapon can be used against you - and knife training in particular takes time and repetition - and we've already stated such, I don't agree in not carrying a knife specifically for self-defense if you feel pretty confident in doing so and have had lots of training and practice in it.

Latest Discussions