Anger and self-defense

Anger while I'm practicing/competing ...

• Helps me

• Hinders me

• Don't know

• No difference

Results are only viewable after voting.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whenever I've struck something in anger - sheer, frustrated, blinding anger, I've always injured myself and I want to know how you folks feel about anger and whether it helps you or hinders you?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anger is the worst one could do you must stay calm and under control for proper power and techniques.
Terry

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I voted that I didn't know. Let me explain why.

There are times when I am anger and it fuels a fire within me, I have had to keep calm and focus. I believe that anger has allowed me to perform better because I had to deal with it and focus harder on the task at hand. On the other hand, I have also lost my patience and my self control when angry and not been able to perform to the best of my abilities. I guess it is all dependent on the situation for me and how much I will allow myself to lose control of my feelings and emotions.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it depends on the person and there skill level.

Some people fight really well when they are angry, without that they have a hard time hitting with intent and bringing out aggression. Other people can do this fine without anger and when they get angry they get sloppy.

Partially I think it has to do with experience, someone that doesn't know what they are doing and isn't used to hurting someone or having someone hurting them will overcome that when the anger kicks in, basically stop thinking and push in no matter what. Much better odds for them winning then if fear kicks in and they hold back, flinch at everything and curl up when hit.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oops: on edit, I didn't read the thread title. ... In Competition. However, my comment still stands as regards to self-defence. In competition, IMO, it has no place.

As others have stated, there needs to be a balance between anger, fear, and calmness. Some righteous anger to an unprovoked assault is helpful, IMO, provided it doesn't lead to sloppy technique and unthinking behavior, because most of us do not like to hit others with intent to harm (stop).

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I ve heard people say that they use anger in a positive way, I never have. Everytime I have been angry I ve clouded myself, its a terrible feeling, you cant think straight, you start to think of every possible thing under the sun, and worse part about it is while practicing you may hurt someone that wasn't even the cause of your anger to begin with. We are all going to become angry at some point in time in our lives, we cant stop it completely, you just have to fear what you can do to a person if you let yourself go.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I would say that it is ultimately a hinderance for me. Short term, you do get that boost of energy/ adrenaline to "fuel the fire" so to speak. But, I would say for me being "angry" means I'm out of control. This would only hurt in practice or competition. I'd keep practicing, keep getting it wrong, get more angry and so on.. Or, I would charge in, throw wildly, get hit in return more than if under control. I would rather approach the "angry" level, but, stop at "really intense" but focussed.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Whenever I've struck something in anger - sheer, frustrated, blinding anger, I've always injured myself

Same here...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Whenever I've struck something in anger - sheer, frustrated, blinding anger, I've always injured myself and I want to know how you folks feel about anger and whether it helps you or hinders you?

IMHO, anger is like fear. If you can control it and use it to your advantage, it'll help you. If you can't conrtol it, and you let it over take you, it'll be another enemy that you'll have to fight.

Mike

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Anger is a natural response for human beings. How we control it is by changing your response when things happen. This is a habit and habits can be change.

We learn anger from our parents/role models (how they react when things happen). If your parents gets mad and hit things...as a child you will learn this too!

Consider a Anger management class?

Kids who were hit by their parents will grow up to hit their children too...and there wifes/husband also..and anyone who gets them mad/anger.

What can you do for NOW? ...When you get mad/anger...breath deep, several times and say to your self...things happen...What can I do to make this better? No one is perfect and mistakes happens. Simile and find something funny to say!!! OK simile, say "I'm sorry...What can we do to make this better? .............Just one suggestion here....Aloha

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I will try to make this story short.

A Samurai went to a priest and ask " Is there a Heaven and Hell? and the priest said "you are a no good samurai" and started to say other bad things to the samurai.

The samurai raise his sword to strike down the priest...and the priest said you have found "HELL"....and than the samurai look at the priest and put his sword away...the priest said " You have found " HEAVEN"......

Heaven and hell is within US...you can choose the response you want.

To be good or bad. Have you ever met people who do not get anger/mad? Why? because to learn to accept things will not always go right!

Go to any auto body repair shop and ask to get your car fix? and you will see a waiting list! Accidents happens all the time!!!! ...accept it! ....Aloha

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My anger gets messy and loud when I have no specific direction for it. But if there is something/one to focus it upon then I can direct it with a good sense of control.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never get angry enough to feel the need to lash out and strike something or someone. I have never been pushed to that point, I have a high tolerance for frustration.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that blinding uncontrolled rage could be a big hinderance, but anger that is focused on accomplishing an unpleasant but essential task (defending your life) could work in your favor.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was in my twenties, I had the occasion to defend myself, and I did it because I did get angry. While not even in martial arts, I kicked the guys groin and managed to close my car door and get away. Anger has its place, it gave me focus and strength when I needed it. Afterwards as I was driving away, my knees shook. Without anger, I might have felt fear, then I might have not reacted as I did.

I doubt I could genuinely feel anger while practicing as I don't think a sparring accident or even an intentional bad strike would cause anger - surprise maybe but not anger. And I don't think it can be manufactured unless you have other issues - then I would think you would be thinking about those and become unfocused in your intent during sparring or even self-defense work. TW

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me Anger is bad.

Fear has driven me to hurt people.

I have told people if I am loud or talking it is ok. If I start to laugh in an obvious place where it is not normal, watch out. If I go quiet after that, then do get in my way.

Anger also makes one tunnel vision, while calm or steady is better.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
IMHO, anger is like fear. If you can control it and use it to your advantage, it'll help you. If you can't conrtol it, and you let it over take you, it'll be another enemy that you'll have to fight.

Mike
I agree. Blind rage or anger to the point where you lose control is not going to help you any. However I feel that there is much to be said for controlled rage or righteous indignation or whatever you want to call it.

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anger is a thing more dangerous than your enemy....when you are angry you dont think about surviving but about destroying...it will cloud your vision and get you hurt!

Latest Discussions