Debut of "Christian Kempo"

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay some of you know I have been working on my thesis for 4th Dan. Due to the nature of the thesis and urging from instructors and friends I have decided to "upgrade" the bill of goods I was teaching my students and provide them with something that might actually save them on the street. ....so after 2 years and a lot of hard work and input from my seniors I give you the debut of "Christian Kempo":

[video=youtube_share;0cjGWxqeL-0]http://youtu.be/0cjGWxqeL-0[/video]

kirks

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this...Are you going to continue developing it?

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks Kirks, yes Christian Kempo will be continually morphing/adapting while keeping the base of faith and structure pulled from Mr. Parker's Infinate Insights series. I have all requirements up to BB published and am working on DVD's as we speak!

mxav

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why do things have to have a 'Christian" in front of them like that makes them better. Seperation of church and state, seperation of church and dojo....

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why do things have to have a 'Christian" in front of them like that makes them better. Seperation of church and state, seperation of church and dojo....

If a Christian practices Kempo within the ethos of Christianity then they can be said to practice what might be termed Christian Kempo, no? Where are you seeing it written or stated in Chris' material that Christian Kempo is better than any other variant of Kempo?

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If a Christian practices Kempo within the ethos of Christianity then they can be said to practice what might be termed Christian Kempo, no? Where are you seeing it written or stated in Chris' material that Christian Kempo is better than any other variant of Kempo?

Great point Jenna,

I am not saying that Christian Kempo is better or greater, I am saying it "is".

From another thread:

"Christian Kempo is a decidedly Christian System from the ground up, as a Pastor I am charged with teaching a Biblical and Christian worldview and paradigm at all times.
I had been teaching secular martial arts for many years and wanted to "Sanctify" (set apart for special use) Kempo. The spiritual curricula of Bible memorization and required essays on
spiritual and martial topics had already been laid out, the next project on my list was to enhance the system I already knew using standards set out by Mr. Parker in his Infinite Insight series
and adding built in spiritual and martial lessons within each technique. For instance the technique "Parting the Seas", very similar to the American Kenpo Technique "Parting Wings" but now has
a second focus and application by being a reference to a Biblical event (Moses parting the red sea). There are many others like "Parting the Seas" within the 54 core techniques in Christian Kempo.
I really don't care if the community recognizes or appreciates the work put into Christian Kempo, I collected the system for my students, so that they would have the training, skills, and character building that was lacking when I was coming up through the ranks."

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the two years that Chris has been with us, I have not seen him evangelize or try to "convert" others to his faith.

Perhaps more importantly, I have never seen him denigrate someone for their worldview...whatever that worldview might be.

I think we can all show Chris the respect that he has shown us.

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the two years that Chris has been with us, I have not seen him evangelize or try to "convert" others to his faith.

Perhaps more importantly, I have never seen him denigrate someone for their worldview...whatever that worldview might be.

I think we can all show Chris the respect that he has shown us.

Thanks Carol,

I see this forum as a great place to talk and share experiences in the martial arts. My personal philosophy of evangelism is 1 Peter 3:15 "Always be ready to give an answer to those who ask, about the hope that lies within you"

zilverkakashi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay some of you know I have been working on my thesis for 4th Dan. Due to the nature of the thesis and urging from instructors and friends I have decided to "upgrade" the bill of goods I was teaching my students and provide them with something that might actually save them on the street. ....so after 2 years and a lot of hard work and input from my seniors I give you the debut of "Christian Kempo":

[video=youtube_share;0cjGWxqeL-0]http://youtu.be/0cjGWxqeL-0[/video]

i think this is great cos I am a christian as well :)

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How is this coming along?

Coming along well! We now have 2 schools teaching the curriculum and getting closer to our 1st batch of Black Belts.
Mr. Cole and I are working on the Black Belt Level forms (Grab, Kenpo Club, and Knife) to finish the curriculum.
Enjoying my training in American Kenpo which is filtering into the formation of Christian Kempo.
Loving combining my 2 strengths (Martial Arts and my Faith) into what I do!

Chris

MartialMellow

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am a Christian and beginning yellow belt, who has been studying in a program called American Shao-lin Kempo. It is a different lineage than Ed Parker, but there are similarities in the basic moves. So far, my instructors have not pushed any spiritual thinking on me, so I am happy where I am. However, I can see where one would want to be in Chris’s program if one is Christian and has contrary spiritual thinking pushed on him/her, or if one wanted to stay within a Christian framework. I watched the YouTube video and Chris’s program looks sound. I hope his schools succeed.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm a little curious.

1) Aside from the name, what is specifically Christian about Christian Kempo? I've watched your video, and if you had titled it "Jewish Kempo" or "Shinto Kempo" or "Secular Humanist Kempo" I wouldn't know the difference. Is there something technically distinct in this style of Kempo or is it just that you start classes with some prayer and bible verses?

2) I'm a little confused by your introduction - is the "Christian Kempo" style your own creation? It sort of sounds that way from your original post, but then you mention working on your thesis for 4th dan, so I presume that was for someone else. If it is your own creation, where did you derive the technical foundation from? I know you have a 3rd dan in Shaolin Kempo and a brown belt in Cole Family American Kempo, but you had previously described the Shaolin Kempo as "worthless."

Not trying to be challenging, I think I'm just missing something.

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay, I'm a little curious.

1) Aside from the name, what is specifically Christian about Christian Kempo? I've watched your video, and if you had titled it "Jewish Kempo" or "Shinto Kempo" or "Secular Humanist Kempo" I wouldn't know the difference. Is there something technically distinct in this style of Kempo or is it just that you start classes with some prayer and bible verses?

2) I'm a little confused by your introduction - is the "Christian Kempo" style your own creation? It sort of sounds that way from your original post, but then you mention working on your thesis for 4th dan, so I presume that was for someone else. If it is your own creation, where did you derive the technical foundation from? I know you have a 3rd dan in Shaolin Kempo and a brown belt in Cole Family American Kempo, but you had previously described the Shaolin Kempo as "worthless."

Not trying to be challenging, I think I'm just missing something.

Sorry it has taken so long to reply,

My studio does focus on spiritual growth rather than physical (martial) growth through Bible studies and memorization.
The "style" or "system" that I teach my students has built in "mercy points" to show the students that we can
show grace/mercy on our attackers during a confrontation potentially defusing the situation. I don't want to say
that I have created anything other than integrated Mr. Parker's concepts and principles to my previous knowledge
of Shaolin Kempo, and my current knowledge in American Kenpo along with guidance from Mr. Cole.
The "style/system" is not recognized nor do I think it needs to as it is just between my students and I.
Its up to them to evaluate the value of said system and if it works for them.

I hope this helps demystify everything!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Not to insult, but to just respect what was created and handed down. Kempo/Kenpo for most is a tool used. As a tool, it only can have an origin, in this case Hawaii. A tool cannot have a religion or theology. Only the practitioner can. All faiths and people can use Kempo/Kenpo equally.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to insult, but to just respect what was created and handed down. Kempo/Kenpo for most is a tool used. As a tool, it only can have an origin, in this case Hawaii. A tool cannot have a religion or theology. Only the practitioner can. All faiths and people can use Kempo/Kenpo equally.

I know a number of tools that have religion... [Insert rimshot sound effect]

Let's get a quick opinion on this from the Supreme Court.

I'm sorry, but "quick" and any government branch may not be used in the same sentence.

Latest Discussions