Debut of Christian Kempo!

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Arnisador
“but if you can only put one adjective there, why is this the most apropos one? Is it marketing--trying to attract Christians, perhaps by sending a message that Christianity and the martial arts can mix to those who might think "turn the other cheek" precludes such study, or trying to indicate that the system is only for Christians (I've seen this), or trying to make clear that Christian philosophy infuses the system (not clear from the techniques in the clip)?”

In “Christian Kempo” we teach in each technique several “jumping off point(s)” where the student can decide to show mercy and end their defense as the situation presents itself. We use these points to use verbal de-escalation techniques to disarm an attacker before, during, and after the attack. This system is for anyone but certainly contains Biblical concepts and philosophy that dictate our view of the arts. The philosophy is not easily discernible from a physical performance of form or technique but it is in the way we train our students in philosophy, life, and in how we defend it!

Touch of Death
“What makes it Christian is the people involved, and the people they wish to attract. Why is there this push to take GOD out of the Martial ARTS? (or gods and goddesses )
Sean”

Great comment Sean,
It is true that Christian Kempo is about Christians wanting to fuze their faith with the arts, but also in using martial arts as an outreach tool, especially to children. We live in a secular society, there has been a push to separate “religion” from everything…schools, homes, government, and now the martial arts. I am trying, along with my friends KFCI (Karate for Christ International) to remedy that situation.

Jks9199
“I don't have a problem with the religious affiliation. He's up front, he's honest that it's there, it's not being snuck in on the backside. I'm just asking what makes his Christian Kempo "Christian." The techniques chosen? How they're expressed? Targeting? Philosophies?”

The system is Christian in that we recognize that all men are created equal and thus all have an equal right to live. We enforce this through discussions on use of force, value of life, “jumping off points”, and legal responsibility with a healthy dose of a Biblical Worldview.

jks9199
“Have you changed any of the techniques, or just the names and connected them with scriptural elements?”

Many of the Techniques have changed, all of the names have been changed for legal and “spiritual” reasons. I am trying to complete a challenge given by Mr. Parker in his Infinate Insights into Kenpo book series…to further kenpo by incorporating the concepts/principles into any style of martial art. In this case it was a blending of my training in both Shaolin Kempo and American Kempo fuled by a decidedly Christian Worldview and an honest evaluation using American Kenpo Concepts/Principles.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Arnisador
“but if you can only put one adjective there, why is this the most apropos one? Is it marketing--trying to attract Christians, perhaps by sending a message that Christianity and the martial arts can mix to those who might think "turn the other cheek" precludes such study, or trying to indicate that the system is only for Christians (I've seen this), or trying to make clear that Christian philosophy infuses the system (not clear from the techniques in the clip)?”

In “Christian Kempo” we teach in each technique several “jumping off point(s)” where the student can decide to show mercy and end their defense as the situation presents itself. We use these points to use verbal de-escalation techniques to disarm an attacker before, during, and after the attack. This system is for anyone but certainly contains Biblical concepts and philosophy that dictate our view of the arts. The philosophy is not easily discernible from a physical performance of form or technique but it is in the way we train our students in philosophy, life, and in how we defend it!

Ah, I understand! This principle of doing the least harm necessary also infuses a lot of Okinawan karate systems. (Among others--that's where I have some personal experience.) It's different from my perception of the standard Kenpo "overkill" approach, though. I know not everyone practices it that way but that seems to be what I mostly see.

Many of the Techniques have changed, all of the names have been changed for legal and “spiritual” reasons.

Legal?

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just off the top of my head, calling anything Christian, is meant to attract or at least be seen as Christian friendly. :). I don't see the conflict. :)

That much makes sense, but I guess the way I see it is that the PROGRAM through which its learned should be called Christian, not the art itself.

For instance, "Kicking for Christ" was a taekwondo program run through my church. But we weren't learning Christian taekwondo. It was just taekwondo. ATA TKD, to be exact. Which was kind of lame.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That much makes sense, but I guess the way I see it is that the PROGRAM through which its learned should be called Christian, not the art itself.

For instance, "Kicking for Christ" was a taekwondo program run through my church. But we weren't learning Christian taekwondo. It was just taekwondo. ATA TKD, to be exact. Which was kind of lame.
You were taking a less Buddhist Americanized TKD actually. :)

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm. . .

I actually have studied--to one degree or another--ITF, WTF and ATA TKD at this point, and I can't say I find any of them to have any real religious flavor.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't doubt that. It wouldn't be good business to include it, and most Korean TKDists that I have met are Christian; so, I have no doubt about the fact that you didn't notice any Buddhism. :)

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Most Korean TKDists you've met are Christian? That's an interesting trend. . .

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
South Korea has a large number of Christians, and I imagine when they move here, they remain so....

Latest Discussions