Cyborg charged for assault

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So there was this ufc retreat at the weekend and during the time cyborg santos assaulted another girl over some tweets she'd said about her and the other girl is pressing charges.

A lot of people are on cyborgs side but Im not. I think what she did was totally inappropriate. Sure the girl was talking trash but that's no excuse for assault. It also makes people believe the sports full of thugs. Now I'm not condoning what the other girl said but fact is cyborg assaulted her and should be charged just like I would be if I punched some guy outside a nightclub who I was arguing with. It wasn't self defence so I think she deserves what punnishment she gets.

Cristiane 'Cyborg' Justino cited for misdemeanor battery

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You really can't say horrible things to people and expect them to take it lying down.

EMT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Too much testosterone I guess :-D

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You really can't say horrible things to people and expect them to take it lying down.
I agree with that. But there's a limit to how you're allowed to react. You can't go around beating people up who talked trash about you. If you're going to be a celebrity/someone in the public eye, you have to expect people are going to say the worst imaginable things about you, true and completely false.

I didn't read the article nor do I know anything that's not been said here. Being involved with high level college sports (NCAA Division 1 basketball and football), I've seen some really shady stuff said and written. I've seen the reaction of the athletes to it, good, bad, and not caring. Beating someone up over it isn't justifiable IMO.

I even had people say and write things about me, and I was just the trainer. I always quietly felt "they'd never say that to my face in a dark alley."

I know, the difference between college and professional sports is night and day. And I'm quite sure you don't feel like she deserved it.

Edit: But people like to say whatever they want and think there's no consequences. Now she thinks she's some sort of victim. I read the article and skimmed through a related article or two. There's no end in site to the "victim's" doo-doo talking. She's probably happy she got hit. She can try to end her career and sue, thereby getting money without working for it. It's a win-win for her. But that doesn't mean I agree she should've been punched.

Last edited:
OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doesn't justify assault in any way. Lets put it this way who's going to get in more trouble for this

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure why this made news. Someones gets punched because of something they said. That's nothing new. Why is this news?

Lesson #1: Be careful of what you say about someone because that person may punch you.

Lesson #2: Never assume that someone won't punch you, and in some cases shoot you, for the words that come out of your mouth.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
So there was this ufc retreat at the weekend and during the time cyborg santos assaulted another girl over some tweets she'd said about her and the other girl is pressing charges.

A lot of people are on cyborgs side but Im not. I think what she did was totally inappropriate. Sure the girl was talking trash but that's no excuse for assault. It also makes people believe the sports full of thugs. Now I'm not condoning what the other girl said but fact is cyborg assaulted her and should be charged just like I would be if I punched some guy outside a nightclub who I was arguing with. It wasn't self defence so I think she deserves what punnishment she gets.

Cristiane 'Cyborg' Justino cited for misdemeanor battery
I was bound to agree with you eventually on something. If you lay hands on someone when you are in the public eye at all, especially if you're a pro fighter, you are opening up a whole can of worms.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure why this made news. Someones gets punched because of something they said. That's nothing new. Why is this news?

Lesson #1: Be careful of what you say about someone because that person may punch you.

Lesson #2: Never assume that someone won't punch you, and in some cases shoot you, for the words that come out of your mouth.[/QUOTE
Because they're famous.

Why is everyone on cyborgs side...she's the one that assaulted someone, she's the one that broke the law. It doesn't matter what's said if you punch someone without them attacking first it's assault

iamduanejackson

White Belt
Reaction score
I can't stand Magana.. right or wrong I can't help but be happy she got popped, she isn't a real fighter she shouldn't have even been at that retreat and it's a shame the UFC ever gave her a platform to make a name

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't stand Magana.. right or wrong I can't help but be happy she got popped, she isn't a real fighter she shouldn't have even been at that retreat and it's a shame the UFC ever gave her a platform to make a name
She fights that makes her a real fighter

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was bound to agree with you eventually on something. If you lay hands on someone when you are in the public eye at all, especially if you're a pro fighter, you are opening up a whole can of worms.
It's stupid how people are defending her actions. Probably people think it's a tough guy thing someone trash talks you you so you drop them...that's just dumb and especially anyone on here who are martial artists claiming she was in the right....would you say that to your students that if someone says something mean you punch them.....i should really hope not

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's stupid how people are defending her actions. Probably people think it's a tough guy thing someone trash talks you you so you drop them...that's just dumb and especially anyone on here who are martial artists claiming she was in the right....would you say that to your students that if someone says something mean you punch them.....i should really hope not
I should hope, in general at least, in a place like this full of life long MAists, it would be generally frowned upon to use your skill to assault people over words spoken.

I personally find such actions dishonorable.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Talk **** get hit.

Talk smack get whacked.

Etc.

Rule of thumb: don't run your mouth.

At the same time, most martial arts teach us patience, detachment, etc... my thoughts? Too much steroids, too little meditation.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There's a pretty clear cause and effect going on in this one. I think there's a middle ground here.

She'll pay a fine and maybe do some community service and life will move on.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Talk **** get hit.

Talk smack get whacked.

Etc.

Rule of thumb: don't run your mouth.

At the same time, most martial arts teach us patience, detachment, etc... my thoughts? Too much steroids, too little meditation.
That's just a stupid playground attitude for kids. Adults should be big enough to ignore a few words

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not taking sides. Just stating a truth. Some people will punch you in the mouth for talking bad about them. Ole skool Self-defense 101. "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all." Don't base your safety on what you think people should do and how they should behave. Base it on the reality that running off at the mouth can get you into trouble, because everyone isn't going to exercise patience or tolerance. People need to understand that and understand that what they say has consequences. It doesn't matter if the person gets hit or not.

Take your safety in your own hand. Don't escalate, de-escalate. Like I said. Things like this happen all the time and some cases people get shot for running off at the mouth. Was cyborg wrong? yeah of course. Did her being wrong stop her from punching the other lady in the face? Nope.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you decide you are going to hit someone because of what they said...then you also have to accept the consequences of those actions.

Latest Discussions