Belator 179

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So this weeks card in England looks very interesting, main event Paul Daley vs Rory MacDonald. I thimk a couple years ago MacDonald would take it but now I don't know. He's taken a lot of damage in his career through the Lawlor fight and the Thompson fight. And Daley is a very tough experienced guy with very heavy hands so I'm pulling more towards Daley here.

Then co main we've got liam mcgeary vs Linton Vassell. Vassell not a guy I've seen a lot but I think mcgeary takes it

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The fights begin here in the US! Looking forward to Paul Daley vs. Rory MacDonald. Appreciate all the UK fans for not spoiling the outcome as it is taped delayed here in the US.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well there we go then spoilers

Mcgeary got dominated by a grappler again. The guy needs serious work on his wrestling if he wants to get to the top again and do well against top guys like bader and Davis. His striking and submissions are great but his wrestling is trash.

MacDonald did what he had to do to win and use daleys terrible grappling to win and make him tap.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good breakdown on McGeary. He really needs to improve that portion of his game. I like him but his ground game needs a lot of help!

MacDonald dominated and looked awesome. I look forward to his next fight.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good breakdown on McGeary. He really needs to improve that portion of his game. I like him but his ground game needs a lot of help!

MacDonald dominated and looked awesome. I look forward to his next fight.
His jiu jitsu is good he trained at Gracie Barra near where I live when he started out his career before moving to the states but he seems to like brawling more, i honestly believe he should do a few fights in bellators kickboxing shows I think he'd do well there.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
His jiu jitsu is good but he is always on his back. In mma your jiu jitsu needs to be good enough to get you on top and or submit from the bottom. What I have seen from him is that he is not quite good enough to do that against top level fighters. I think he would do really well in kickboxing as well.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
His jiu jitsu is good but he is always on his back. In mma your jiu jitsu needs to be good enough to get you on top and or submit from the bottom. What I have seen from him is that he is not quite good enough to do that against top level fighters. I think he would do really well in kickboxing as well.
I think he was lucky to win against Newton. I think he did win because he did more from his back but normally judges favour the guy on top so it was lucky he got a good set of judges. I wonder if he could make heavyweight because I don't think he's got much of a chance at 205 because there's to many good wrestlers but at heavyweight he could do better...one fight I'd love to see is him vs rampage

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for MacDonald it was a good win but beating Daley doesn't put you up with the elite in my opinion. His ground has always been suspect, he's entertaining but he's not champion level. I hope he fights venom page next that would be a good fight.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rory is an A level pro in the minors. Bellator is 2 things..where old mma fighters that should have hung it up years ago go to die, and where people that aren't quite up to UFC standards go to ply their trade.

Rory is Marriott Andretti at the go cart track.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rory is an A level pro in the minors. Bellator is 2 things..where old mma fighters that should have hung it up years ago go to die, and where people that aren't quite up to UFC standards go to ply their trade.

Rory is Marriott Andretti at the go cart track.

And your qualifications in MMA are........?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
And your qualifications in MMA are........?
What qualifications does one need to see that bellator is full of aged-out-of-the-ufc fighters and fighters that couldn't get in to the UFC to begin with,

Eyes, I guess.

What qualifications are requisite to arrive at the conclusion that bellator money is much less than UFC money? UFC exposure? Do you think they make less in bellator because they want to make less?

Cmon now. Rory is going to roll whichever of those two bums nobody has heard of wins at 170.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
What qualifications does one need to see that bellator is full of aged-out-of-the-ufc fighters and fighters that couldn't get in to the UFC to begin with,

Eyes, I guess.

What qualifications are requisite to arrive at the conclusion that bellator money is much less than UFC money? UFC exposure? Do you think they make less in bellator because they want to make less?

Cmon now. Rory is going to roll whichever of those two bums nobody has heard of wins at 170.
Such rubbish. Look at Ben Henderson he was on a winning streak in the ufc before leaving for bellator look how he's done here. Eddie Alvarez was bellator champion went to the ufc and became champion.

Liam mcgeary tapped out tito Ortiz a ufc champion who hadnt been submitted since his first ever tournament.

Seriously calling professional fighters bums? How long would you last with either of those guys?

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Eyes, I guess.

Don't be a ufc fanboy. They may be the biggest name but doesn't mean they're the best

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

WOW, we have a UFC fanboy here to instruct us. Shame I thought we were going to get his fight record, the fighters he's coached and cornered, fights he's judged and reffed... oh sorry, that would be us not him. Oh well never mind I shall get back to watching the tour of California. Anyone on here had the Tour go through their town/city etc? some awesome scenery and riding.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rory will be a handle for any of the top fighters in his weight class in Bellator. He has extensive experience against the best in the UFC and he is still young.

Now, in regards to Bellator vs. the UFC. The UFC in general has the better fighters but certainly not all of them Bellator has some really, really good fighters as well and a lot of the other promotions have really good fighters as well. We have seen guys have success coming from other organizations and going into a new one. Lots of really good fighters around the world. MMA has grown so much in the last ten years that watching any event is usually very enjoyable!

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
lol @ the irony of you venom spitters calling me a fanboy. I notice you didn't actually address the points I made.

So there isnt more(alot more) money in the UFC?

You think these bellator fighters are accepting less money out of principle because they don't like the ufc? Really?

Do you think chael sonnen vs tito ortiz or kimbo vs dada would make it past undercard at any ufc event? lol

How about that battle of the old geezers they had last year..royce vs ken. really? It's not 1990 dude.

I don't have any investment one way or the other, but if you think Bellator isn't the minors...I don't know what to tell you :p

Rory bounced off the top WW in UFC, but he will dominate in Bellator. 6 months from now we can have this discussion again :)

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
lol @ the irony of you venom spitters calling me a fanboy. I notice you didn't actually address the points I made.

So there isnt more(alot more) money in the UFC?

You think these bellator fighters are accepting less money out of principle because they don't like the ufc? Really?

Do you think chael sonnen vs tito ortiz or kimbo vs dada would make it past undercard at any ufc event? lol

How about that battle of the old geezers they had last year..royce vs ken. really? It's not 1990 dude.

I don't have any investment one way or the other, but if you think Bellator isn't the minors...I don't know what to tell you :p

Rory bounced off the top WW in UFC, but he will dominate in Bellator. 6 months from now we can have this discussion again :)
Um you do realise a lot of fighters are /choosing/ bellator/ over the ufc because they get better deals right?

Oh really what about stupid fights like cm punk vs mickey gall or randy couture vs James toney or randy couture vs mark coleman or tito vs shamrock 3 times.

And yes they have older guys fighting so what?

Us "spitting venom" you're the one calling proffesional fighters bums.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, would you walk into a pub or bar and start mouthing off insults about people you don't know to people who don't know you? This is a friendly place to discuss martial arts, not a certain site that likes to take, shall we say a more 'proactive' role when discussing martial arts which frequently spills into insults and arguments. You came on spouting off about fighters, who may or may not be extremely good, the fact that they even get into the cage/ring to fight means they are owed a certain amount of respect. Fighting competitively isn't easy, I've seen many bottle it or not even try so you calling fighters 'bums' is extremely silly. That you feel your 'points' aren't answered is because you come on here being combative and rude, why should anyone answer you as if you were a civilised poster?

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, would you walk into a pub or bar and start mouthing off insults about people you don't know to people who don't know you? This is a friendly place to discuss martial arts, not a certain site that likes to take, shall we say a more 'proactive' role when discussing martial arts which frequently spills into insults and arguments. You came on spouting off about fighters, who may or may not be extremely good, the fact that they even get into the cage/ring to fight means they are owed a certain amount of respect. Fighting competitively isn't easy, I've seen many bottle it or not even try so you calling fighters 'bums' is extremely silly. That you feel your 'points' aren't answered is because you come on here being combative and rude, why should anyone answer you as if you were a civilised poster?
I find it funny this guy thinks he's an expert on mma when his only other post is him saying he's a Kung fu guy but doesn't know his own lineage...but he thinks he's an expert on mma..

Latest Discussions