Cyborg charged for assault

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's stupid how people are defending her actions. Probably people think it's a tough guy thing someone trash talks you you so you drop them...that's just dumb and especially anyone on here who are martial artists claiming she was in the right....would you say that to your students that if someone says something mean you punch them.....i should really hope not

So martial artists promote trash talk.

Not sure when that was a thing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well yes if they don't know, bit hard in this case though when she's all over the net.

Her camp wont care over a punch during a verbal attack. And Brazilians hate disrespectful behaviour more than they like free speach.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's not the training. It's the type of people that are attracted to TMA vs the type of people who are attracted to UFC.
So, wait. I'm confused. Are we talking about people who train in MMA or people who are attracted to the UFC? While there is some overlap, I'm not sure that it's any different than the overlap between people who train in TMA and people who are attracted to the UFC.

I am also not sure I agree with what I THINK you mean, which is that people who train MMA are people who want to fight. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean (which I admit is very possible here), but it sounds like you're suggesting that a "typical" MMA athlete likes to fight and/or hurt other people. I feel pretty comfortable saying this isn't true, any more than for a typical TMA.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, wait. I'm confused. Are we talking about people who train in MMA or people who are attracted to the UFC? While there is some overlap, I'm not sure that it's any different than the overlap between people who train in TMA and people who are attracted to the UFC.

I am also not sure I agree with what I THINK you mean, which is that people who train MMA are people who want to fight. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean (which I admit is very possible here), but it sounds like you're suggesting that a "typical" MMA athlete likes to fight and/or hurt other people. I feel pretty comfortable saying this isn't true, any more than for a typical TMA.

I think there is an element of liking to fight people that exist in competitive styles.

I definitely know there are things you could say to every one of my coaches that would get you punched in the head.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I'm talking about the people who train MMA. I can go to an MMA gym and everyone that is training there for at least a year would have some sparring experience though there classes. The same can't be said about TMA's because TMA's attract people who are looking for zen, peace, and stress relief. They aren't looking to fight. There are people in my school who have been training for 7 years and have never sparred. Things like that is the norm in many TMA's where students either haven't sparred or they spar very little. Those type of student's aren't there to learn. If you look at extreme martial arts then you'll have a bunch of people who like to do exciting performances with flips and kicks. If you look at Tai Chi then you will see that most people are focused on health benefits and are past their fighting prime.

I'll use myself as an example, I like to spar a lot, but not at the same level of commitment that you'll find in many MMA gyms. I spend 1 day a week for sparring and sometimes I don't even do that. Are there people in TMAs that can and like to fight? Of course, but they don't have near the aggression that is found in MMA environments. MMA embraces their aggression, Many TMA schools are often training to suppress it. This is not a bad or good thing. It's just 2 schools with 2 different perspectives on fighting.

For me personally I like TMAs schools that allow students to embrace their aggression vs trying to suppress it.

but it sounds like you're suggesting that a "typical" MMA athlete likes to fight and/or hurt other people.
I'm saying that the typical MMA athlete likes to fight. It's not just me. Here's a Traditional Martial Artist that talks about controlling the emotional state through meditation, and physical fitness. Listen to how long how he talks about non-fighting aspects of TMA. By the way it didn't take me long to find something like this for a TMA. By the way I don't think this way about Martial Arts. Just showing you the different and you'll won't get this "zen" perspective from an MMA athlete. There some TMA students like me that won't give you this type of zen, but it's very few in comparison to those who do.

Also it's ok to like fighting. There's nothing wrong with that as long as the person isn't going around fighting people off the streets just to get that thrill.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lol @ that second video. Is that guy for real?

Ringworm? LMFAO.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think there is an element of liking to fight people that exist in competitive styles.

I definitely know there are things you could say to every one of my coaches that would get you punched in the head.
There's liking to compete which is different from lacking impulse control and liking to punch people outside of the gym.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comes down to time and place. Cyborg has access to the right time and place to make the other fighter back up her words. Instead, she chose to do it in the wrong time and place. She'll have to take some lumps in the legal arena and looks like a hot head.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lol @ that second video. Is that guy for real?

Ringworm? LMFAO.
Yeah he's for real. He's always talking like that. He should spend more time reading about the history of martial arts and warfare.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's liking to compete which is different from lacking impulse control and liking to punch people outside of the gym.

Yeah. But there is a trend in some martial arts to never engage in conflict even in the gym.

I assume those guys will never fight regardless of the impulse.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah he's for real. He's always talking like that. He should spend more time reading about the history of martial arts and warfare.
Why? According to him, real martial artist don't fight. Or get their hair messed up....(????)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why? According to him, real martial artist don't fight. Or get their hair messed up....(????)
you misunderstood me. "He's for real" as in, he really believe the nonsense that is coming out of his mouth. He's not faking that. He really believes what he is saying to be true

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Comes down to time and place. Cyborg has access to the right time and place to make the other fighter back up her words. Instead, she chose to do it in the wrong time and place. She'll have to take some lumps in the legal arena and looks like a hot head.
Pretty much yeah personally I think she should be cut from the ufc. She's a known steroid user and has caused a lot of trouble.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
you misunderstood me. "He's for real" as in, he really believe the nonsense that is coming out of his mouth. He's not faking that. He really believes what he is saying to be true
Ya, I was being sarcastic. I guess that doesn't always translate well to text :)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So martial artists promote trash talk.

Not sure when that was a thing.

It became a thing when they became professional fighters, which merges sport and entertainment.

Many would consider Ali the greatest boxer of all time, and a lot of what made him such a big star was his ability to trash talk.

Trash talking done well in any professional sport tends to increase ticket sales, and in turn increase the salary of the person doing it. Chael Sonnet probably made more money because of his mouth then anything. Connor McGregor would probably be considered a guy with a lot of potential, but with the jury out until he defends a belt a few times without his.

In any sport as soon as it turns into a profession you have "entertainment" and self-promotion playing a part. Some are naturally good at clever trash talking and making it entertaining. Listening to Ali or Sonnen rattle them off can be quite entertaining... others try, but it just doesn't work. Maybe because they just come across as mean, or it's just not in their personality and comes across as forced and awkward (ex. "I was not impressed with your performance")

Latest Discussions