crying dragon

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wasn't around at the time so I missed out on all the drama. I gather he was accused of being fake because nobody ever heard of his style or instructor?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
not exactly, he was given every opportunity possible to explain who he was and what he did. He missused terminology, had the history of the styles he claimed to have a background in all wrong, created his own and declared himself 10th dan and soke.

Punch his name into the search and you'll find the mess that was created when he arrived.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Search in The Great Debate for "Calkins" and you'll find most of the threads in question.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seems Shodai Soke Bruce Calkins is still a bit sore about the reception he got here some time ago...
http://www.goldendragondojo.com/Internetbullshido.html

no worries he just got this to keep him warm
http://www.goldendragondojo.com/lifetimeachievementaward.html

I must admit I still check this site regularly just for the laug.. ahem the true greatness I mean

I, too, have had some cheap laughs at that site .... but ultimately one winds up just feeling very badly for the whole lot of them.

Watching the Golden Dragon parody of "sticky hands" - - sticky feet - - is hysterical, at least until one pictures some one of these poor persons trying to use this atrocity on the street and getting killed.

There's the funny guy with a bokken and horribly tied white belt.... but could not he have been any of us when we were newbies? I found quality instructors, he wound up there. That doesn't make me any better than him, just more fortunate.

Calkins himself craves respectability. He seeks it with meaningless honors, and now has yet another silly certificate. Yet he has no clue that the true path would be humility, to go to a true teacher as a white belt and learn so that he would have something to teach. There's a lot of value to the old saying from the Bible that those who humble themselves will be exalted and those that exalt themselves will be humbled...... but don't count on the Soke figuring that one out any time soon.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I need a pick me up that is the place to be, you can laugh until you are blue in the face.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He's laughed at quite a bit on the web, and sadly behind his back in NY as well. I dropped by an event he was at a while back and the snickering was painful to watch. Of course, I had :popcorn: so it was more bearable for me.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
After a little search, apparently we're not the only "guilty" party in his toes getting stepped on.

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I missed all this the first time as well, but I've just watched the "Lu Ling Sao" video in the video vault section of the golden dragon site. I don't know Chinese but I assume this translates as "Blowing on chopsticks to make them move" :p. Interesting how he describes the technique as using ELECTRICAL energy to move WOODEN chopsticks :rolleyes:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I remember correctly he was invited to show at the meet and greet one year. Or maybe it was only suggested he show because we all knew he would not. (I could be wrong we may not have invited him )

As for the new certificate he has, I wonder how much it cost

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I missed all this the first time as well, but I've just watched the "Lu Ling Sao" video in the video vault section of the golden dragon site. I don't know Chinese but I assume this translates as "Blowing on chopsticks to make them move":p. Interesting how he describes the technique as using ELECTRICAL energy to move WOODEN chopsticks :rolleyes:

I do believe this is called the Four-f Incendiary Reduction Effect, or F.I.R.E. for short. I myself have mastered F.I.R.E. using electricity and wood and wood by-products like paper quite by accident. Where is my :cuss:certificate!?

Lori (10th F.I.R.E. Soke)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm waiting for The Bruce Calkins Action Figure line to come out.

But seriously. If he has a lifetime achievement award, what else is there...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I remember correctly he was invited to show at the meet and greet one year. Or maybe it was only suggested he show because we all knew he would not. (I could be wrong we may not have invited him )

As for the new certificate he has, I wonder how much it cost

He WANTS to come in 2009, look!

Contact Soke Calkins if you have an Event you would like to have the Golden Dragons At.

E-Mail your Event:

Put "Golden Dragon Event"

in the Subject Line

PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ invite him in 2009! I'd come!

Latest Discussions