Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I got a lifetime acheivement award, I'd kill myself. There'd be no more reason to live!

:mst:

Reminds me of the joke in the old Ozark country song Arkansas Traveller, where the lost city slicker asks the country 'bumpkin' (who one-ups him every time) if he's lived here all his life, and the country guy answers, 'Not yet!'.

OP
Cirdan

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I got a lifetime acheivement award, I'd kill myself. There'd be no more reason to live!

Seems the lifetime acheivement award only wet his (already huge) apetite, he just got instructor of the year and dojo of the year awards and suprise suprise he will enter the "Hall of Fame" pretty soon. Gee what took him so long?

http://www.goldendragondojo.com/Events.html

By the way, these it seems this august organization also awards FOUNDER OF THE YEAR awards. To several (5 or 10) uber-masters each time. And check their black belt club.. but sit down first!

http://dlma.iwarp.com/about.html

GAH! I need a new coffee!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems the lifetime acheivement award only wet his (already huge) apetite, he just got instructor of the year and dojo of the year awards and suprise suprise he will enter the "Hall of Fame" pretty soon. Gee what took him so long?
Whose hall of fame, Denny's? :lol:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny, I'm at a number of local tournaments and I've yet to see him or his people there.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
Forum sites like “**************”, “SubFighter.com” “Martialtalk.com” are just some of the forums that like to BASH anyone not in their style and their Idea of a perfect martial artist. They get their kicks out of making fun of system, instructors and students they have never met. They base their comments on poor attitude and ignorance. I have read most of the things that have posted and I just laugh. They claim that I’m fake because they have never heard of my instructors. Am I fake because I have a few extra pounds on my body. They say I’m fake because they have never heard of my style… Well that’s fine. That is what makes them happy then more power to them. I know my abilities and once people meet me then find out the truth.

But he didn't "just laugh: did he?

And I have no doubt that once people meet him they find out the truth ;)
[/FONT]

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Calkins said:
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Am I fake because I have a few extra pounds on my body.[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
Hey guess what, Bruce? I'm a fat **** too, and *I* think you're fake. :rofl:

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright
Made up history? Check.
Laughed at all over the internet? Check.
Bought Rank? Check.
Misused Titles and Ranks? Check.
Only goes where he gets patted on his back? Check.
Considered a joke by any reputable school in the area? Check. (And Checked)
Awarded more praise and rank and whatnot from other questionable sorts? Check.

Who is this UMAA again? Another rank mill I guess. Robert Austin is the head of it.
http://www.ibbakarate.com/school/united-martial-arts-alliance.asp
Flyer I picked up on them a few years back basically said they will "recogize your rank", and seem to cover all disciplines. Koch's own system is a hodge podge of Tracy kenpo, with some Parkers mixed in, and some other stuff that they got from who knows where. He lists "American Self-Defense Studios in Cheektowaga, New York" as his origin, which is a well known McDojo that shut down years back. Alden NY isn't exactly NYC. They consider Buffalo "Big City" and "High Crime".

You have a bunch of nobodies buying rank, giving inflated atta boys, and teaching crap fantasy arts.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score

http://www.goldendragondojo.com/Events.html

By the way, these it seems this august organization also awards FOUNDER OF THE YEAR awards. To several (5 or 10) uber-masters each time. And check their black belt club.. but sit down first!

http://dlma.iwarp.com/about.html

GAH! I need a new coffee!

Odd thing is that, by his own site's pictures, he seems to now have fewer than 10 students.... With all of the glitter and bling, I would have expected the combined populations of Glendale and Perry to be flocking to the place for enlightenment.

Maybe the criteria for selection is that you have more meaningless awards than students...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My shoes are clean folks. :)

Calkins popped into a bunch of forums and tried to impress with his title and extensive training. He got roasted as a result that at least 3 sites, independently investigating his claims came to the same conclusion. That he made it up, and he bought some rank.

Honestly, who cares? So did a lot of people. Some created arts, and actually did something good; most created crap, inflated their egos and screwed lots of clueless folks.

Warsaw (pop 3,600), and Alden (pop 2,500), are both small towns. Calkins isn't a big fish no matter how you slice it. He runs out of a church or a community center, in the functional equivalent of Mayberry. It's a poor town and the only other Warsaw native I dealt with was someone I turned info on over to the FBI back in 2005.

Calkins had an open invite to demo at one of our meets. He didn't bother to show up.

Smart people know how "Hall of Fames" work. You get the award provided you pay for it. If not, it goes to someone else, who will pay for it. I've been invited into a dozen. I didn't want to drop $95 on a dinner, or $399 for a ring. Guess how many awards I got?

MartialTalk has a Hall of Fame. We don't charge for awards. We also don't give out big brass rings or wall candy. Maybe we should. Maybe we should start recognizing ranks too. Who wants a nice 11x14 wall scroll with their name, rank and our Steering Boards signatures? $199, framed. Contact me for details, and allow 8-12 weeks for delivery (since I have to ship it around to each one to sign, and give them their cut).
You don't even have to travel and eat cold buffet food!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those laws get in the way. Plus, the guy's essentially harmless. Yeah, there is that question of legitimacy, but it's small town USA, not NYC or LA.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember when he was around, but honestly, he was always a point of humor.

OP
Cirdan

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Odd thing is that, by his own site's pictures, he seems to now have fewer than 10 students.... With all of the glitter and bling, I would have expected the combined populations of Glendale and Perry to be flocking to the place for enlightenment.

Seems he gives them their black belt pretty quick then they go back to watching power rangers because they have learned all they can. And they are probably right too... His only long time student is his 2nd in command "Renshi" who went from brown belt to 4th dan in three years.

There is a breaking video of one of his students in the "open mind forum" on his webpage. This guy also has a black belt in TKD so he might actually have learned a few things. Breaking is not my game but does he display anything resembling skill? Looks completely untrained to me.

You know, if these guys put a fraction of the time they spent playing in the sand box into some real training they could actually IMPROVE