Creep

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny how the minuscule but inexorable creep occurs, only to revealed at it’s extremes!

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Funny how the minuscule but inexorable creep occurs, only to revealed at it’s extremes!

This shows the old karate sparring I grew up with. How about some discussion on how and why these two fights look so different? Does it say something about the evolution of modern karate?

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sure these two videos have been deliberately chosen for their marked contrast, so we shouldn't read too much into the video, but….

The modern players look very cautious about doing anything probably because they are counter attack fighters (‘go no sen’) and are playing a ‘wait and see’ game. Landing an offensive technique requires a lot of skill obtained by deep training. Counter attacking is a little easier.

Plus, when did so much bouncing around come into vogue? It gives away your opportunities since it’s very hard to press an attack forwards if your body is bouncing backward or up in the air. Conserve your energy, for goodness sake!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I’m sure these two videos have been deliberately chosen for their marked contrast, so we shouldn't read too much into the video, but….

The modern players look very cautious about doing anything probably because they are counter attack fighters (‘go no sen’) and are playing a ‘wait and see’ game. Landing an offensive technique requires a lot of skill obtained by deep training. Counter attacking is a little easier.

Plus, when did so much bouncing around come into vogue? It gives away your opportunities since it’s very hard to press an attack forwards if your body is bouncing backward or up in the air. Conserve your energy, for goodness sake!
The rules changed from the old days until now is also a big factor

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Sparring a bouncer is a lot of fun. There’s nothing easier than timing a bounce.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sparring a bouncer is a lot of fun. There’s nothing easier than timing a bounce.
….whack ‘em when they’re airborn!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
🤗 That is the exact timing strategy. Takes a little trial and error, but what doesn’t?

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I find the bouncing up and down, which I think got popular in some schools in the late 80's, rather irritating, and takes too much of my limited brain power trying to time my attack to it. So, I just ignore it (like any inconsequential irritation) and attack or counter like I would do anyway. There's no downside to this, and there's a 50+% chance of catching him when he's in the air. By ignoring it I negate its irritating effect (its main benefit IMO).

Last edited:

Cri70

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Ahah it also tells a lot about how switching music extremes makes a lot of difference! :D

Cri70

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Even if, if they're good, they're never airborne. Even in the funny video above, you can clearly see that the competitors are always firmly on their toes.

Whether or not it's effective, it depends on the practitioner. Beginners attack on the bounce up and are easy to time, but a good one will attack on the bounce down or in the middle or stop at times, they train for that explicitly.

Irritating it is toh. :)

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if I can agree with that. But I do agree that you can recognize a heavy bounce versus a light bounce. The former is easier to predict and use to your advantage. The latter is rather difficult to time or use to one's advantage. Comparable to a fidget spinner. IMHO

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I can agree with that. But I do agree that you can recognize a heavy bounce versus a light bounce. The former is easier to predict and use to your advantage. The latter is rather difficult to time or use to one's advantage. Comparable to a fidget spinner. IMHO
You’re a bouncer, aren’t you? 😉

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just found out that you are absolutely right.

I've been training in my dojo since 2008 or so. My sensei has been teaching for over 40 years.

In all that time, we have only been permitted to wear white gi.

Just the other day, our Sensei, out of nowhere, issued a statement that he will permit 2nd Dan and above to wear black gi or white gi, as they prefer.

3rd Dan and above may wear black bottoms and white tops or all black, or all white, as they prefer.

7th Dan and above are to wear black gi.

It's anarchy, I tell ya! It's all building up to something! What's next?

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found out that you are absolutely right.

I've been training in my dojo since 2008 or so. My sensei has been teaching for over 40 years.

In all that time, we have only been permitted to wear white gi.

Just the other day, our Sensei, out of nowhere, issued a statement that he will permit 2nd Dan and above to wear black gi or white gi, as they prefer.

3rd Dan and above may wear black bottoms and white tops or all black, or all white, as they prefer.

7th Dan and above are to wear black gi.
How very strange for a traditional school of Karate. Have you asked what his motivation is in doing this?
It's anarchy, I tell ya! It's all building up to something! What's next?
I’ll tell you what’s next: training to gangsta hippy hoppity ‘music’ played over blasting PAs, declarations of being made a ‘Hanshi’ via a committee of meek, pliable senior students and silky satin keikogi like David Carradine wore for special fights in ‘Kung Fu’!

Latest Discussions