"Karate Hack" on you tube

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
This guy, "Karate Hack" posts Karate videos on Utube. In one I was watching he said for his first 22 years he practiced an authentic tought training karate style.

1. does anyone know to which style he was referring (

2. What style does he practice now? At about 1:38 in the video you can see, in Japanese, what I presume is the name of his current style.

3. Anyone know who he is? Quality of his statements?

I found this: Karate Hack Karate Hack

I am 8 weeks into karate. Thanks

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This guy, "Karate Hack" posts Karate videos on Utube. In one I was watching he said for his first 22 years he practiced an authentic tought training karate style.

2. What style does he practice now? At about 1:38 in the video you can see, in Japanese, what I presume is the name of his current style.

The kanji on his chest says "budokan," and maybe he's part of that style. But, then again, that's a pretty generic word in Japanese martial arts, so I can't say 100% for sure.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What he does now is a hybrid style of Karate. I have no problem with that, I do the same.

What I do know is he’s a salesman, sounds like a pretty good one, too.

I was tempted to fill out the form offered, just for fun, to see how his business works, unfortunately I’m behind on other projects.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Very interesting. I appreciate your sharing that. I seldom watch videos all the way through, but I did watch that one.

My reaction is a mixed bag. I know what he is talking about. I was not training back in those 'bad old days' of regional get-togethers that brutalized the students for hours on end, but I am a US Marine, and his descriptions of Marine boot camp are spot on.

I 100% agree with his argument that karate is not exclusively for the highly-qualified, highly-trained, supreme athlete. The people who need the ability to defend themselves are typically those who would be victimized based on their perceived ability to defend themselves. I frankly have avoided a lot of trouble in my life because I look like someone who would take no #(@# from anyone (at least that's my thought).

His mannerisms, especially at the beginning of the video, were a bit grating on me. His halting manner of speech and his somewhat political jabs at wokeness were abrasive caricatures, he could have dispensed with them and not lost a bit of the value of his thoughts.

I do not know what style he was taught or is now teaching. I presume it is a Japanese style and not Okinawan based on his comments; as well as my understanding that Okinawans are a bit less regimented in their approach to life in general.

All in all, very interesting. And welcome to MT. Good luck with your training!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What he does now is a hybrid style of Karate. I have no problem with that, I do the same.

What I do know is he’s a salesman, sounds like a pretty good one, too.

I was tempted to fill out the form offered, just for fun, to see how his business works, unfortunately I’m behind on other projects.
His whole spiel could be broken down to:
1) In the old days, karate training was hard, and made people tough.
2) The ability to defend yourself should not be limited to just those people, but should be able to be taught to those who cannot commit to or cannot physically become, olympic-quality athletes.

He ain't wrong.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2) The ability to defend yourself should not be limited to just those people, but should be able to be taught to those who cannot commit to or cannot physically become, olympic-quality athletes.
Isn’t this why most people take up the martial arts and what they promise? That is, to develop fighting abilities seemingly beyond one’s physical attributes?

Thus , what Karate Hack is advertising is totally unremarkable.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isn’t this why most people take up the martial arts and what they promise? That is, to develop fighting abilities seemingly beyond one’s physical attributes?

Thus , what Karate Hack is advertising is totally unremarkable.
Yes, and then again, no. Read the many comments on this and other forums, which predicate effective martial arts training on being or becoming a physically-fit, world-class athlete, capable of competing in the ring. Many of us (present company excepted) tend to have little respect for the 'dabbler', the person who doesn't throw their entire being into martial arts training.

The author of the video seemed to be trying to make the point that his previous training was of the former type, but he has recognized in recent times that the folks who *most need* self-defense training are those who cannot, for various reasons, devote themselves to becoming paragons of physical virtue.

As to whether or not the advertising is 'remarkable', that's subjective. I never said it was remarkable. I was asked to give my opinion and I dod.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you follow the link they provided, it is reminiscent of the Count Dante ads one used to see on the back of comic books.
It's interesting to me that either one is a *serious* martial artist who devotes significant time and effort to mastering a traditional art, or one is attempting to become Count Dante and is worthy only of ridicule. Perhaps there is room for some middle ground; a person who wants to be able to effectively defend themselves but who cannot become an olympian athlete to do so.

I understand why some folks my age or with my sort of disabilities say they're not interested in martial arts training because they're not up to the ridicule. I think the 'shut up and sit down old man' contingent should rethink their approach perhaps. Not speaking of you, I'm addressing the room. Macho could stand to take a break.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's interesting to me that either one is a *serious* martial artist who devotes significant time and effort to mastering a traditional art, or one is attempting to become Count Dante and is worthy only of ridicule.
To be clear, I didn't watch the video, I only checked the link. He may be a superb martial artist. He may also be a self-promoted buffoon with the technical skills of a chimpanzee. I don't know. I just find the marketing hilarious. "I Have The Secret", and "I've never made any money for teaching, but you should send me money because (see first point)."

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you follow the link they provided, it is reminiscent of the Count Dante ads one used to see on the back of comic books.
Ha ha, yes it’s just like that! Who falls for this stuff?

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Watching that, the term "tough karate" and the bootcamp methods are often used in association with Kyokushin.
By that time, late 70's there was surely several kyokushin style dojos in USA, started by people that was from Japan an move to USA.

Most Karate styles strives to develop things like strength, technique, mental development, humility and respect etc, many styles have different emphasis...

... and the the heart of Kyokushing is "Osu no seishin" which litteraly means, to persevere whilst being pushed beyond what you think you can do. I think this is not just about physical endurance, it a mental thing, a fighting spirit to never give up. If you get knocked over, get up and continue. If you think you can't take anymore, there is alot more left. This can apply to actual fighting, and to training. It's not just about repitition and patience, it's about willpower to don't give up when in a bit of pain or aching muscles. Your brain signals too early, to tell you to quit, often at the 50% mark! If you you want to quit after 30 push ups, you can easily to 60! This is often actually true, it's not just made up.

This is a signature spirit of Kyokushin, and the reason we condition ourselves with fairly strong fighting, to get use to taking hits.
If you are tired - don't show it. Your opponent will read this as weakness.

But I think long time ago this was translated into disipline or instructors appearing to "push" the students harshly. But the true fighting spirit comes from withing. It is you that push yourself. In real life or a real fight.

But I think the modernt interpretation is that all this is relative to yourself, your premises. So nowadays in kyokushing, it's the SPIRIT that is taught. For me maybe I can do 60 push ups before I throw up, but someone else can do only 20, or someone else can do 80. We don't level against each other in the absolute sense. You push yourself, not others! Instructores should guide and teach students this, not physically or litteraly drag students beyond their best, then I think one will not learn. One should located and use the inner spirit.

But that said, if you look at the gi marks on the pictures from 1978, it LOOKS maybe like a tiger, which would indicated shotokan? But perhaps there are extrem bootcamp interpretations of others styles, or was.

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
His whole spiel could be broken down to:
1) In the old days, karate training was hard, and made people tough.
I think this can be interpreted in different ways.

The mistake is to think that everyone, should be equally tough in absolute measures. Also if you read this as MENTAL toughness, they it does not matter if you are small, short or weak in the body. One can still train and get mentally tough. For me this toughess is first of all the fighting spirit.

And you should be hard to yourself, it's not your instructor that should be hard on you. I think maybe some got that backwards back in the days. But the instructors may apparently do this, to show the ideas. But you have to find the inner drive.

He ain't wrong.

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
"I understand why some folks my age or with my sort of disabilities say they're not interested in martial arts training because they're not up to the ridicule. I think the 'shut up and sit down old man' contingent should rethink their approach perhaps. Not speaking of you, I'm addressing the room. Macho could stand to take a break."
Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster​

I am 78 and started my Karate journey 9 weeks ago. I am Short, fat and old. My physical, not to mention mental, abilities are deterating. I guess I will ne er be a "serious student of Karate." But that is okay with me. I did not start this to become a MMA fighter, engage in street fights, win competitions or become Count Dante (although I did consider it when I saw the ads in my youth).

After about 2 weeks I was so confused, overwhelmed and in pain that I decided to quit. Fortunately, it was in the middle of class when I couldn't Keep up with everyone else. My Sensei and I talked and I decided to continue. Then I came across this. I realized that I was comparing myself to the other students in my class 9 black belts, 3 brown belts and me (white). Of course I could not keep up. But, if I focused only on myself, for instance I can now almost bend over and touch the ground, which I haven't been able to do in years. I can also put my pants on without leaning against a wall! minor achievements. At my age I may never achieve a black belt. But that is not why I am involved. I am here for self inprovement. If others are unhappy with that, that is their problem-not mine. Thank you.

Attachments

• karate-it-s-not-about-being-better-than-someone-else-poster-Vintage.jpg
    karate-it-s-not-about-being-better-than-someone-else-poster-Vintage.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A noble aim. Just keep going!

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
At my age I may never achieve a black belt. But that is not why I am involved. I am here for self inprovement. If others are unhappy with that, that is their problem-not mine. Thank you.
Well this is "fighting spirit" IMO.

The "Fighting spirit" metaphor is not necessarily about actual karate fights.

This shihan has 8th DAN kyokushin and is 78 years this year and still active.

I have a back problem, but it's even an extra challenge, so see how i can adjust to compensate. But this back problem will likely limite my possibility to rank very high.

Xray3delta

White Belt
Reaction score

Have attempted to contact this guy with a couple of people over the last two weeks. Evidently someone has catfished his videos and only redirects all incoming inquiries to their own junk self-defense courses/sites. Sorry, but the guy seems to either have quit or passed away.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's interesting to me that either one is a *serious* martial artist who devotes significant time and effort to mastering a traditional art, or one is attempting to become Count Dante and is worthy only of ridicule. Perhaps there is room for some middle ground; a person who wants to be able to effectively defend themselves but who cannot become an olympian athlete to do so.

I understand why some folks my age or with my sort of disabilities say they're not interested in martial arts training because they're not up to the ridicule. I think the 'shut up and sit down old man' contingent should rethink their approach perhaps. Not speaking of you, I'm addressing the room. Macho could stand to take a break.
Bill, you and I agree that self defense is often not fighting ability. I think you’re spot on when you talk about self defense as things that actually make you safer. That can be as simple as not going to a bar or avoiding other high risk behaviors.

Personally, I think self defense is highly contextual. So all that said, what do you think is effective self defense for people who are older or with physical limitations? What sort of training and skills will actually make them safer?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think self defense is highly contextual. So all that said, what do you think is effective self defense for people who are older or with physical limitations? What sort of training and skills will actually make them safer?

A real answer would require a book length dissertation.
If you restrict the answer to times of actual unavoidable physical conflict, then the answer remains complicated. Because even us debilitated old farts still have physical abilities, which may or may not be sufficient. The simplest answer is that training would help the person do what they can in a way that maximizes their strengths and minimizes their weaknesses. And having alternatives in case those abilities are not sufficient. Like a weapon.

Latest Discussions