OP
Martial_Kumite

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
d53e849d6178d459dd73e8ad7c62c68c.jpg

D

Dylan9d

What would you call creativity in MA, then?

I don't know, maybe creating new techniques or whatever.

But are we really gonna bicker over some words? Do we practice Wing Chun? Don't think so, so no need for bickering....

We have a saying in Holland called "mieren neukers", which literally means antfuckers, which refers to people that make a huge problem out of small things.

Now you and I won't be doing that not since I saved you from KPM's cult

OP
Martial_Kumite

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know, maybe creating new techniques or whatever.

But are we really gonna bicker over some words? Do we practice Wing Chun? Don't think so, so no need for bickering....

We have a saying in Holland called "mieren neukers", which literally means antfuckers, which refers to people that make a huge problem out of small things.

Now you and I won't be doing that not since I saved you from KPM's cult
Ummm........... What?:confused:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And thats after you learn how to hold you pencil properly ........
Not in my experience. Most children draw before they are instructed in how to hold the implement. I'm not sure there's a good parallel in MA training, though.

My point is simply that early creativity in training doesn't inhibit training, so long as the student is following principles.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not in my experience. Most children draw before they are instructed in how to hold the implement. I'm not sure there's a good parallel in MA training, though.

My point is simply that early creativity in training doesn't inhibit training, so long as the student is following principles.
Language is a good way to look at it. If young people don't know a word, for lack of study, they will invent one, or come up with an expression. People are like that. o_O

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Language is a good way to look at it. If young people don't know a word, for lack of study, they will invent one, or come up with an expression. People are like that. o_O
Yes. And if the expression they come up with happens to be effective (useful in communication), they may continue to use it later. If it isn't as useful as the word they didn't know, they'll likely not use it much after they learn the word.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More than one of my teachers has told me some variation on, "you have to learn and follow the rules before you can break them."
I've heard that, too. I'll assert that this is not entirely necessary. The "rules" are usually the rules of a given art or system. Other systems often break them, without ever knowing what they are. Sometimes people coming from those other arts struggle to learn the rules, sometimes they don't - just like people who didn't learn those other rules. I think the point of that adage is to avoid building bad habits, and that's good advice. Creativity under the watchful eye of a good instructor won't build bad habits. In fact, it helps some people learn the rules.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just read this thread now. Maybe the best line, and I mean in a long while, was about not wanting to have been taught by Bruce Lee. But then I thought about it for a minute and realized, "Heck, what could Bruce Lee ever have taught moi?" And the process wouldn't have been any fun, anyway.

I wouldn't want to wake up in bed with Margot Robbie, either. Because, you know, there probably wouldn't have been a trapeze involved.

Latest Discussions