Creativity is key?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chi is very real if you think about it as your level of fitness, and it becomes very in-real if you think of it as magic. I think of creating is magic, and being extemporaneous is what people are actually doing when they think they are being creative. It is just semantics. o_O

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chi is very real if you think about it as your level of fitness, and it becomes very in-real if you think of it as magic. I think of creating is magic, and being extemporaneous is what people are actually doing when they think they are being creative. It is just semantics. o_O
I think you meant to post this in the other thread, ToD.

EDIT: Re-reading it, now I'm not sure which thread you meant it to be in. Could be either, though I missed the connection here.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chi is very real if you think about it as your level of fitness, and it becomes very in-real if you think of it as magic. I think of creating is magic, and being extemporaneous is what people are actually doing when they think they are being creative. It is just semantics.
That's a religious definition. We're talking about martial arts.
Which can be a very extemporaneous experience. :angelic:

D

Dylan9d

Improvising with your basic fundamentals and principles, you can call it creativity but it's not really the same.

I spend alot of time with my advanced students on that subject.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Improvising with your basic fundamentals and principles, you can call it creativity but it's not really the same.

I spend alot of time with my advanced students on that subject.
What would you call creativity in MA, then?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since others have said what they don't think is creativity, I'll put forth my thoughts on what it is. I'll start from the definition (the most applicable one - 2nd from dictionary.com):
the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns,relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms,methods, interpretations, etc.; originality, progressiveness, or imagination

So, using that as a starting point, creativity is working outside what you were strictly taught. Eventually, it becomes learning when the rules are creating unnecessary limits, where the techniques are only starting points, etc. Early in a student's development, however, those aren't concepts they should be mucking about in. At the earlier levels, it's learning to move beyond the set paths you were taught. How can you combine two techniques (using steps from one, arm movements from another, perhaps)? It's trying versions of a technique that you weren't taught, to find out whether they work or not, and then figure out why. It's taking a standing technique and working it from kneeling. It's taking a sacrifice technique and trying the same principles without the full sacrifice.

In essence, creativity is looking for "new" ways to do things. They need not be new to the art (and likely won't be). They are new to that student, and that exploration and investigation builds a deeper understanding of the concepts and principles behind an art or system.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since others have said what they don't think is creativity, I'll put forth my thoughts on what it is. I'll start from the definition (the most applicable one - 2nd from dictionary.com):

So, using that as a starting point, creativity is working outside what you were strictly taught. Eventually, it becomes learning when the rules are creating unnecessary limits, where the techniques are only starting points, etc. Early in a student's development, however, those aren't concepts they should be mucking about in. At the earlier levels, it's learning to move beyond the set paths you were taught. How can you combine two techniques (using steps from one, arm movements from another, perhaps)? It's trying versions of a technique that you weren't taught, to find out whether they work or not, and then figure out why. It's taking a standing technique and working it from kneeling. It's taking a sacrifice technique and trying the same principles without the full sacrifice.

In essence, creativity is looking for "new" ways to do things. They need not be new to the art (and likely won't be). They are new to that student, and that exploration and investigation builds a deeper understanding of the concepts and principles behind an art or system.
You mean life hacks. :D

OP
Martial_Kumite

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
What? Could you please explain how this pertains to the thread? I am confuzzled:confused:

Latest Discussions