Competition

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only remember that it was hosted by a kung fu school and had different types of sparring and forms competition. It was open to all styles. I'll see if I can find the email about it.
Thanks. PM me or email me if you find it.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like fun. I've never competed, but have considered it lately. Don't know how I'd get started, but it seems like it would be fun. I probably wouldn't fare as well as you, but it'd still be fun.
Ohhhh do iiiit ;). It really is a great experience, and even moreso I love meeting more martial artists and there's a real comraderie and support at the tournaments, even for people you just met! A few do want to keep to themselves at the tourneys which is totally fine, but for others it's a real bonding with the MA community. Meeting others from different styles and being able to talk with actual other people about their MA (which I don't get the chance to do elsewhere apart from here, unless you are indeed all autonomic robots which I'm not ruling out!) is a blessing :).

And usually you can download the specific rules for any tournaments so you can research what it involves and what it's all about

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I haven’t yet figured out where to start. I haven’t had much luck finding things in my area, and am not sure how to tell what a competition includes when I find something. It turns out I know nearly nothing about MA competition outside Judo, boxing, and MMA.

Are you looking for grappling or striking? (I'm not familiar with Shojin-ryu.) If you want striking and are willing to branch out a little, there's a TKD tournament in Fredericksburg, VA called "Spar Wars" where, instead of doing brackets like most TKD tournaments, they score you based on how *many* matches you did, and you can spar anyone of any rank/age/gender/size, as many times as you want. I took one of our students to it once, and there were a number of non-TKD competitors, folks with karate-type chest protectors and helmets.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for grappling or striking? (I'm not familiar with Shojin-ryu.) If you want striking and are willing to branch out a little, there's a TKD tournament in Fredericksburg, VA called "Spar Wars" where, instead of doing brackets like most TKD tournaments, they score you based on how *many* matches you did, and you can spar anyone of any rank/age/gender/size, as many times as you want. I took one of our students to it once, and there were a number of non-TKD competitors, folks with karate-type chest protectors and helmets.
I'm considering both. That one might be fun, and an excuse to buy a chest protector.