Competition

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I've been in my new area for a bit now. Things are okay but anyway I saw an advert for a karate competition. Nothing huge just a small thing. I thought I may as well enter just for fun. I didn't do any forms I'm not a forms competitor I can never be bothered with trying to impress judges but I entered the sparring. I had 3 matches. It was first to 5 points. I won the first one 5-3. The guy was pretty good but seemed like a taekwondo guy and didn't throw a single punch. His points came through a hook kick and w body kick (head kicks worth 2 points) he went 3-0 up then I worked his style and just kept countering. Second fight I won 5-0. I honestly don't know where that guy got his black belt from I was embarrassed for him. He was dancing around like he was ali. He was leaping in the air with kicks all I kept doing was side stepping and using a back knuckle. I did it 5 times in a row.

Final match I won 5-4. Guy was good similar age and build and mixed up his attacks very well. It could've gone either i got some points I shouldn't have he got some he shouldn't have. But at the end he landed a back knuckle to the head I landed w reverse punch to the stomach at exactly the same time. Luckily I got the point but if he'd got it I couldn't complain either.

It was good fun. Haven't done a point fight in a very long time and I felt good winning 5-0 against a style I absolutely hate and feel ruins point fighting. Guys acting more like gymnasts than fighters. But yeah good fun. No videos I'm afraid as I'm new here haven't got a huge friend list yet to come watch

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I've been in my new area for a bit now. Things are okay but anyway I saw an advert for a karate competition. Nothing huge just a small thing. I thought I may as well enter just for fun. I didn't do any forms I'm not a forms competitor I can never be bothered with trying to impress judges but I entered the sparring. I had 3 matches. It was first to 5 points. I won the first one 5-3. The guy was pretty good but seemed like a taekwondo guy and didn't throw a single punch. His points came through a hook kick and w body kick (head kicks worth 2 points) he went 3-0 up then I worked his style and just kept countering. Second fight I won 5-0. I honestly don't know where that guy got his black belt from I was embarrassed for him. He was dancing around like he was ali. He was leaping in the air with kicks all I kept doing was side stepping and using a back knuckle. I did it 5 times in a row.

Final match I won 5-4. Guy was good similar age and build and mixed up his attacks very well. It could've gone either i got some points I shouldn't have he got some he shouldn't have. But at the end he landed a back knuckle to the head I landed w reverse punch to the stomach at exactly the same time. Luckily I got the point but if he'd got it I couldn't complain either.

It was good fun. Haven't done a point fight in a very long time and I felt good winning 5-0 against a style I absolutely hate and feel ruins point fighting. Guys acting more like gymnasts than fighters. But yeah good fun. No videos I'm afraid as I'm new here haven't got a huge friend list yet to come watch

Out of curiousity, was it a continuous match or did you get a pause at each point?

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, was it a continuous match or did you get a pause at each point?
Pause on each point. Don't like the continuous point game I've seen to many....interesting scoring to say the least. At least with this way you kind of know either way if it's right or not. With that you end up second guessing and there's confusion in it

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pause on each point. Don't like the continuous point game I've seen to many....interesting scoring to say the least. At least with this way you kind of know either way if it's right or not. With that you end up second guessing and there's confusion in it

Well in Taekwondo you get a point for each hit and you can see the score, but the match keeps going. It allows you to get combinations and score more points.

But I agree. Especially since many martial arts I feel are kind of a more hardcore version of tag, I like the 1-point stop because it makes you get much more tactical in your approach.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well in Taekwondo you get a point for each hit and you can see the score, but the match keeps going. It allows you to get combinations and score more points.

But I agree. Especially since many martial arts I feel are kind of a more hardcore version of tag, I like the 1-point stop because it makes you get much more tactical in your approach.
I know points matches get a lot of crap but I enjoy them. They're not as exciting for non martial artists but I honestly enjoy watching point fights more than mma depending on the fighters. Not everything's about a cage or a ring. Sure point fighting isn't realistic but so what? You can do point matches at any age. No way in hell would I step in a boxing ring or a cage at my age but I can still compete and obviously do well in these. People take things way to seriously these days. To me it's just fun. I wouldn't have cared if I'd gone in and lost my first match 5-0 I'd have just gone and sat down and watched the rest of it

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know points matches get a lot of crap but I enjoy them. They're not as exciting for non martial artists but I honestly enjoy watching point fights more than mma depending on the fighters. Not everything's about a cage or a ring. Sure point fighting isn't realistic but so what? You can do point matches at any age. No way in hell would I step in a boxing ring or a cage at my age but I can still compete and obviously do well in these. People take things way to seriously these days. To me it's just fun. I wouldn't have cared if I'd gone in and lost my first match 5-0 I'd have just gone and sat down and watched the rest of it

I don't know. Karate Kid was a pretty popular movie. Much more popular than any MMA movie I've seen.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know. Karate Kid was a pretty popular movie. Much more popular than any MMA movie I've seen.
Yeah but that was a long time ago. Look at any point match on YouTube you'll see a bunch of idiots saying crap. End of the day pointing isn't a brawl it's more of a chess match and a lot probably do look boring because the top ones are of fighters who are equally matched in skills so hard to find an opening

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Where was the competition?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

Too bad there is a big ocean between us I think you would like the tournament circuit that my son competes in. ;)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nice job, Headhunter! Glad to hear it went well.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mate that's freakin awesome, congrats on the win!
Yep, I absolutely love point sparring, and it's funny all the trash talk about it, but it's just a different skillset, and damn it's fun... I always choose it over continuous. Like you said it's like a game of chess, and you can really work on tactics.

Really great to hear man :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good on you going out and competing. I talk down point fighting, yet I’ve done it several times in the past and I’m getting ready to complete in it again in a few weeks. It’s fun. No other explanation needed :)

I’ve got this love-hate relationship with point fighting. It’s not the most realistic form of fighting by any means, I hate when people compete to the rules rather than treating it like an actual fight, I hate how refs miss a lot of stuff (for and against me), I hate how I can’t take a light and insignificant hit to give a bigger hit. Yet I really have fun with it. Weird, huh? Like I said earlier, no explanation needed.

And I really like competing in kata, as long as it’s traditional kata and not the garbage I see floating around the internet with made up ones, music, obnoxious kiais, etc. Sure in competition setting kata’s a dance and doesn’t have anything to do with actual fighting, but it’s still fun. No explanation needed.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good on you going out and competing. I talk down point fighting, yet I’ve done it several times in the past and I’m getting ready to complete in it again in a few weeks. It’s fun. No other explanation needed :)

I’ve got this love-hate relationship with point fighting. It’s not the most realistic form of fighting by any means, I hate when people compete to the rules rather than treating it like an actual fight, I hate how refs miss a lot of stuff (for and against me), I hate how I can’t take a light and insignificant hit to give a bigger hit. Yet I really have fun with it. Weird, huh? Like I said earlier, no explanation needed.

And I really like competing in kata, as long as it’s traditional kata and not the garbage I see floating around the internet with made up ones, music, obnoxious kiais, etc. Sure in competition setting kata’s a dance and doesn’t have anything to do with actual fighting, but it’s still fun. No explanation needed.

I don't like competing in kata, but I'm better at forms than sparring, so if I compete I do kata so I can get a gold medal while I'm there.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sounds like fun. I've never competed, but have considered it lately. Don't know how I'd get started, but it seems like it would be fun. I probably wouldn't fare as well as you, but it'd still be fun.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds like fun. I've never competed, but have considered it lately. Don't know how I'd get started, but it seems like it would be fun. I probably wouldn't fare as well as you, but it'd still be fun.
Do it while you still can.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do it while you still can.
I haven’t yet figured out where to start. I haven’t had much luck finding things in my area, and am not sure how to tell what a competition includes when I find something. It turns out I know nearly nothing about MA competition outside Judo, boxing, and MMA.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven’t yet figured out where to start. I haven’t had much luck finding things in my area, and am not sure how to tell what a competition includes when I find something. It turns out I know nearly nothing about MA competition outside Judo, boxing, and MMA.
I think there is one near you. I know I was in training for it a year ago. It was the only one that would let me compete in full contact because of my age.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you remember what kind of competition it was?
I only remember that it was hosted by a kung fu school and had different types of sparring and forms competition. It was open to all styles. I'll see if I can find the email about it.

Latest Discussions