Throws that can end a fight

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are many different throws exist in MA. Not every throw can be used to end a fight. How to throw your opponent so his head will hit on the ground is the key.

Why there are no MA discussion in this area? Your thought?

inner_leg_block.jpg

wrestling_embrace.jpg

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don’t know. I mean it’s great question, but I’ve spent my entire career trying NOT to smack their head on the ground. I guess I’m the wrong one to comment.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most throws I know can be altered to put the head more or less at risk. In most cases, high throws (hip/shoulder throw height) would be likely to stop most people, because they don’t fall well, so don’t need the additional violence. But they should be trained in a way that teaches the full range.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Violence isn’t binary. It’s a continuum.
I don't understand here. When someone runs toward you and tries to knock your head off, how much violence do you think when you throw your punch toward his head? 30% violence, 50% violence, 80% violence, or 100% violence? How will you know that your opponent is thinking about less violence toward at that moment?

There is no difference between knock someone down or throw someone down. You hope you can end fight right there. You don't have to start a fight. But if you do, you have to finish it.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I mean, if I'm in a fight where I need to defend myself, I'm not worried about what throw I need to knock him out. I'm worried about creating enough space and time to get to my M&P or my LCP and use that to end the fight.

I think the issue is that most throws are practiced on an opponent, and most opponents don't want to be dropped on their head. If you train for those throws in class, you quickly have a bunch of concussed students who can't continue class and you have nobody to continue to drill with.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like Kung Fu Wang mentioned most combative throws do involve throwing your opponent on their head. However, with a partner you cannot do this safely to completion for obvious reasons. Yet as mentioned above you can practice the throw with a partner just not with completion and then practice with a throwing dummy have the full throw to completion so that you get the rotation right and ingrained in your training!

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are 2 solution here.

1. Hold on your opponent's body and don't drop him.
2. Use a throwing dummy.

How do you know the throw is going to throw a real person on their head if you refuse to test on a real person, and a dummy can't breakfall out of it?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I mean, if I'm in a fight where I need to defend myself, I'm not worried about what throw I need to knock him out. I'm worried about creating enough space and time to get to my M&P or my LCP and use that to end the fight.

I think the issue is that most throws are practiced on an opponent, and most opponents don't want to be dropped on their head. If you train for those throws in class, you quickly have a bunch of concussed students who can't continue class and you have nobody to continue to drill with.
What are m&p/lcp?

The solution to the training partners part is just be rich enough you can pay people to get concussions for you :D although at that point it may be easier just to hire a bodyguard

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you know the throw is going to throw a real person on their head if you refuse to test on a real person, and a dummy can't breakfall out of it?
You don't. Without enough testing data, you don't know how effective your move can be. Unfortunately, nobody will let you test it. The sport and combat are still different.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand here. When someone runs toward you and tries to knock your head off, how much violence do you think when you throw your punch toward his head? 30% violence, 50% violence, 80% violence, or 100% violence? How will you know that your opponent is thinking about less violence toward at that moment?

There is no difference between knock someone down or throw someone down. You hope you can end fight right there. You don't have to start a fight. But if you do, you have to finish it.
A punch to the face is less violent than an elbow driving down into that face when he’s in the ground. A generic hip throw is less violent than a hip throw done with the intent to plant him head-first into the pavement.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What are m&p/lcp?

The solution to the training partners part is just be rich enough you can pay people to get concussions for you :D although at that point it may be easier just to hire a bodyguard

Smith & Wesson M&P9. Ruger LCP. My handguns.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A punch to the face is less violent than an elbow driving down into that face when he’s in the ground. A generic hip throw is less violent than a hip throw done with the intent to plant him head-first into the pavement.
When you fight against one opponent, you can block, dodge, move around. When you fight against multiple opponents, how much violence will you use when you punch? If you can't knock down your opponent by one strike, you may never be able to walk away alive.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you fight against one opponent, you can block, dodge, move around. When you fight against multiple opponents, how much violence will you use when you punch? If you can't knock down your opponent by one strike, you may never be able to walk away alive.
What has any of that to do with my comments?

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

The circumstances are everything. If this is my Uncle Bob, who got drunk at the wedding and is swinging his fists at me, I may need to get him to the ground, but I would like not to break his neck. Not every violent situation calls for bashing their head into concrete.

Aside from that, most throws will do most people in, without having to target their head. Their are plenty of videos on youtube showing this.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are 2 solution here.

1. Hold on your opponent's body and don't drop him.
2. Use a throwing dummy.
Have you thrown a grappling dummy? They don't move or react at all like a person. They are more for static groundwork (i.e. stuff where you are moving around the dummy, not moving the dummy itself as much). When Judo guys practice really big throws, they sometimes use the crash pads / mats that are really thick and soft. Your uke might let you throw them on their head onto one of those. That's probably the most realistic way if you just have to train throwing someone onto their head.

Latest Discussions