• Form 5?

• Form 6?

• Not listed

Results are only viewable after voting.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
May still be taught by the National Chinese Kenpo Karate Association (NCKKA), or at least is was a few years ago. That was an Ed Parker / Steven LaBounty / Gary Swan lineage.

-Michael
UKS-Texas

molson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In my system we have short 4, 5 and 6 as requirements as well as the long forms of each. I usually compete with the same forms as Mr. Billings uses. Tiger, 4 or 6. Some times I will do Bookset or fingerset to long 2. It also depends on who the judges are and what styles they practice.

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
so to ask a Question. This is the first time that I have heard the term "Book Set". Which set is that?

As far as doing forms for competition. My highest form currently is Long 4. I have won first with Long 3 and Short 4, and taken 4th with long 2, I lost to a fellow student, with whom I had tied with in 3rd place.
I have only been to 5 tourneys in my 6 years. Unfortunately it seems I only get to go to one tourney a year, due to weekend work.
My 2 favorite forms to date are Leopard and Short 4. I will choose between these two for my next tournement. Unless I have 5 by then. :D

Michael

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings

May still be taught by the National Chinese Kenpo Karate Association (NCKKA), or at least is was a few years ago. That was an Ed Parker / Steven LaBounty / Gary Swan lineage.

-Michael
UKS-Texas

Poison Hand = Fingerset 1 or 2?

Michael

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Poison Hand = Finger Set #1 (with some rotation to a forward for eye strikes)

Book Set = Leopard Set (More of an Okinawan style form brought into the system in the 60's.)

Realize, I am American Kenpo now. Although I do retain some of the older sets, they are not necessary in my school.

Oos,
-Michael

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Klondike93

How come most kenposists feel the need to change the form when they compete with it?

I know a 4th degree here that uses a modified form 4 and wins with it all the time. Why not use the form unmodified, because it's not as flashy and usually doesn't win.

Now having said that, most TKD people will change their forms too, adding some flash to it.

:asian:

No one respects traditional forrms anymore, unless you go to stirctly like an ITF tourny!

It's all about flash, and entertainment.:soapbox:

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dun Ringill

Does anyone still do Poison Hand or Bookset that is of the Parker line? Not specifically for competition but as a belt requirement?

I still use and teach the Bookset. I don't think i would use it for competition, but i think it's great for developing strong stances, and mobility from strong stances.

jb

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score

I forgot that I used to use Book Set in competition along with Long #4, prior to learning Tiger & Crane. Ah, for the good old days again.

-Michael

Mr. B,

Thanks for sharing. It's always good to hear from the old school that did it....

Respectfully Yours, jbugg

Dsc00261.jpg

OP
B

brianhunter

I forgot that I used to use Book Set in competition along with Long #4, prior to learning Tiger & Crane. Ah, for the good old days again.

-Michael

Mr Billings,

How hard would it be to convince you to put book set, tiger crane, or poison hands up on your web site???? I love your site I have used it for reference a lot! I would love to learn some "old school" forms

Brian Hunter

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just came back form a local tournament around my area. There was one other kenpo person other than myself. He decided to participate I was there only to judge and see people that I have not seen for quite a while. Anyway he used and explosion short 3 when he was done everyone clapped and cheered. One of the judges gave him a 9.0 the rest were all sevens. Just goes to show you the local TKD guys don't really know what their looking at. He by far well deserved the first place trophy but instead didn't place at all. :(

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth

I just came back form a local tournament around my area. There was one other kenpo person other than myself. He decided to participate I was there only to judge and see people that I have not seen for quite a while. Anyway he used and explosion short 3 when he was done everyone clapped and cheered. One of the judges gave him a 9.0 the rest were all sevens. Just goes to show you the local TKD guys don't really know what their looking at. He by far well deserved the first place trophy but instead didn't place at all. :(

Judging forms is so subjective you can't take it too personally. Hopefully he made up for it in sparring...lol :karate:

jb:asian:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the judges gave him a 9.0 the rest were all sevens. Just goes to show you the local TKD guys don't really know what their looking at

Not surprised though. They're supposed to judge based on balance, focus, power stuff like that, but they usually base it on flash, high kicking etc.. I personally don't like to judge forms, it's hard to do it and get it right, but to go from a 9 to 7's that's just flat biased.

:asian:

molson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jason,

That sounds like one of those Eastlake TKD tournaments I used to go to. The only way kenpo was going to win anything was to beat it out of them. Couldn't cheat when you were pounding on there heads.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you could tell we were like the outsiders or something. These birds had their own groups and such. It was a smaller size tournament all of them were TKD related expect for the 2 of us. Personally I think he should have compted with long 4 rather than short 3 but he did an excellent job at 3.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Fellow Artists,
As a Teakata doing traditional forms at an open tourney, I've noticed we dont do so well. Not enough stomping and neck snapping I guess :rofl:

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We're...um...tea...tea...um...Teakettles that practice Martial Arts. It's hard to crush head with a spout :)

I of course meant Taekata, one who kicks high for no apparent reason other then to score these things called 'points'. Does nothing really to help us with either the ladies (Gentleman) or on the street, as I'm told 'points' don't count.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbkenpo

Mr. B,

Thanks for sharing. It's always good to hear from the old school that did it....

Respectfully Yours, jbugg

Trying to see if I can repost the one that got away...

jb:asian:

Dsc00261.jpg

Latest Discussions