Writing Campaign

K

Kirk

If you're familiar with A&E's Biography, they air some on people of
little or no significance in the world at all.

They have done some on martial artists, but mostly movie star
martial artists, like Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris. I'll bet if we could
get enough people to write in and ask that they produce one
about Ed Parker, they just might do it!

So click on the link, and email your request, and if you know of
any kenpoists that don't come to martial talk, email them!!
Let's see if we can get them interested! Especially given how so
many would buy the video (New Gladiators is a good example).

http://www.biography.com/cgi-bin/frameit.cgi?p=http://www.biography.com/feedback/faq.html

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, I wrote and I d not even belong to the Kenpo circle anymore. I hope the rst will do so also.
Shadow

OP
E

Elfan

Is the quality of the Biography sufficint to do Mr. Parker justice? I recall them generally being pretty good but I have seen some bad "factual" programing on TLC etc.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, so I sent a request also - (I feel like this would be a great thing for the Parker family and Kenpo.) But was somewhat self-conscious in requesting it, we don't even know if the Parker estate would consider doing a piece like this.

Anyway, this is what I sent.

I am an American Kenpo Karate instructor in Austin, Texas. Reference my web page:
http://www.kenpo-texas.com.

I would like to submit my teacher's teacher for the Biography channel's consideration. A little about myself, I was a senior student of Brian Duffy, (a 7th Degree Black Belt), from 1979 until 1993. I then trained with Tommy Burks, a direct student of Ed Parker. He and Mr. Duffy, both were my teachers from 1990 – 1993. Then Mr. Burks became my sole instructor through the present. I am a Hearing Analyst for the State of Texas, (administrative law judge) for the Board of Pardons and Paroles.

Mr. Parker is internationally known and respected by Martial Artists of all styles. He was Elvis Presley's instructor and you frequently saw his association patch on Elvis's guitars or clothing. He introduced Bruce Lee to the United States in the early 1960's and Martial Artists like Chuck Norris and Joe Lewis acknowledge his place in the Art. Producer Joe Hyams just completed a new book regarding the legacy Ed Parker left behind. He appeared in numerous movies including the Pink Panther sequels and was the primary instrument in Jeff Speakman's "The Perfect Weapon."

A brief excerpt from Bob White:
A Biography of Edmond Parker Sr.
by Bob White, visit his website http://www.bwkenpo.com/

Senior Grand Master Ed Parker is known worldwide as the "Father of American Kenpo Karate".
Mr. Edmund Kealoha Parker was born on March 18, 1931 in Honolulu, Hawaii where he lived until 1950, when he left to attend college in Utah. He studied and earned his Black Belt in Kenpo Karate under the late Professor William K.S. Chow, one of the world's leading Kenpo Black Belt holders and innovators of the Art.

Soon after he began his study of Kenpo, Mr. Parker knew that Kenpo would become a way of life for him. He opened his first private Kenpo Club in 1954 at Brigham Young University, and his first public school in September of 1956 in Pasadena, California. Early in his training, Mr. Parker realized the need to further modify the Art of Kenpo to suit modern day fighting situations. Professor Chow had taught Mr. Parker a number of "Master Key Movements" which provided Mr. Parker his start on becoming a creative innovator. "The Parker System of American Kenpo" is based on principals, theoretical innovations, and logic not yet employed by other systems. Mr. Parker founded the International Kenpo Karate Association in 1956 (albeit, the Kenpo Karate Association of America). He traveled frequently to share his vast knowledge of Kenpo, and he was also very active in writing books (most notable are his five volume series in Infinite Insights into Kenpo).

On December 15, 1990 in Honolulu, Hawaii, Mr. Parker passed away at the age of 59. That was a very sad day for Kenpoists all over the world. His death was unexpected and untimely. At the time of his death, he was in the midst of completing his first series of Kenpo instructional videos and his Encyclopedia of Kenpo. Thousands attended his funeral to pay their respects to one of the world's greatest innovators of Kenpo.

Although Mr. Parker has gone, his spirit carries on, and the many hundreds of Kenpoists who were fortunate enough to have known and studied with Mr. Parker, continue his legacy.

His family retains control of the Association he founded, the International Kenpo Karate Association (IKKA), and Lealani Parker, his widow, is the head administrator or president. Their website is http://www.ikka.us

I am affiliated with the United Kenpo Systems, http://www.uks-kenpo.com and have been training in the Martial Arts since 1971. I have trained in Kenpo since 1979 and would love to see a well-researched Biography on the Founder and one of the greatest influences on the Martial Arts in the Modern World.

Sincerely,
Michael Billings
Senior Instructor

OP
K

Kirk

Mr Billings,

That was a damned fine letter to write! I didn't even think of
including so much info, to entice the subject further. I love
how you included Bruce Lee's and Chuck Norris' names in
the letter, because those reading the emails might not have a
clue about martial arts at all. Full salute!

I did mention the sales success of The New Gladiators, and told
them how they'd probably sell a LOT of DVD/VHS of the show.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I emailed my request and mentioned some of the Hollywood notables he taught over the years.

OP
G

GouRonin

But I really want to see a bio on Sandra Bullock.

She has better legs...
:rolleyes:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

She has better legs...

How can you be sure Gao? Too much cheap vodka! Beside, what did Sandra Bullock ever contribute to Kenpo? Now ... If she had played her cards right, she could have married me... Then we would be talkin'...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by GouRonin

She has better legs...

Yeah, and she has a beautiful smile too.

picture.jpg

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by WilliamTLear

Yeah, and she has a beautiful smile too.

And I'm sure that's ALL you were looking at, Billy. :D

I sent my request for a Biography on Mr. Parker yesterday. Mentioned some of the hollywood folks and some of the history.

OP
G

GouRonin

Actually, the first thing I look at in a woman is her eyes. Then I love a killer smile. Sandra Bullock has both.