• Form 5?

• Form 6?

• Not listed

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Mass Attacks? Would you do it at competition? It's got some complicated kick combinations as well as some cool stance work, and it travels all over the place.

-Rob

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Like I just said above:

Combine Short 3 and Mass Attack instead of doing Long 3.

If I had to rank MY preferences for Kenpo Katas for tournaments it would be like this:

1) Tiger & Crane
2) Parker Long 6
3) Long 4
4) Book Set
5) Long 5
6) Tam Tui (don't see this one too often)
7) 2-Man set (done solo)
8) Short 3 + Mass Attack
9) Tracy's Long 6 (don't see this one too often either)
10) Long 3

Just my opinion on what I enjoy watching.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OFK, you mention that you like to see Two Man done solo, is this just in competition because it is one person at a time, or do you prefer solo as a form compared to with another person. At our school, this set is taught as a solo form, then combined with another person, and when performed either way, each student performs both sides. When done solo, do you perform both sides?

-Rob

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
brianhunter said:
How do some of you select which form you will perform at a tournement or for competition and why?

Do you select what form you are currently working for your belt level?

Do you select a form that suits your way of performing the art?
(i.e. your a black belt who has long 5 but you really love short 3)

Current belt level. I won second place with Long 1 at my first tourny :)

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thesemindz:

Like you, I learned the form solo and perform it both solo and with a partner. Always do both sides either solo or with a partner.

I tried it in Brown Belt competition once. I think somebody else did Long 3 so they scored lower than me. Everyone else did 4 or Book Set and scored much higher. But that was more than 20 years ago and with no trophy, the memory is a little fuzzy...

OP

just do one your comfortable with, if you do it correctly then you should score well.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am in awe of all of you. I have learned, forgot, re-learned, and re-forgot the Kenpo forms. Tough time remembering where I put my keys, much less which direction to pop off to next to perform what technique. Can usually only keep them in my head short-term (i.e., testing season), then gone. Might be time for some Alzheimers meds.

OP
T

TIGER DRAGON FIGHT

i like invicible wall which is taught at 2nd black in our system of kempo.

for tournament i go with a form that has alot of flash and strong kicks like hon su ki.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr.Billings etc.,

My former instructor encouraged the blending/modification of our kenpo forms to make them more appealing to those not in the know. At tournements, especially those populated by more traditional judges. We had to modify, or die. Back then alot of judges had no knowledge of kenpo. They did not understand our checks, techniques, nothing. Therfore we had to adjust our forms, with longer lock outs etc.. I remember when a winning kenpo forms practioner was a big deal on the national scene. Anyone remember Brian Fung(Fong sp?)?

Salute in Christ,

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well this is an old thread....

In the (almost) two years since I last posted on this thread, I have shifted to Long 6 as my competition form and have done pretty well, though I am still losing to that Wushu guy. :uhyeah: But starting this year the Excel Karate League is offering kenpo-only divisions for the Black Belt competitors, now I just have to beat my instructor. :)

Lamont

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I went to compete in a tournament back in 1986, I had a customized form. My instructor modified a form and added in some moves, then had me practice it for hours for several weeks until I had it all perfectly, including kiais that were loud enough (he didn't want squeaks). When I did that form in the tournament, I came in third place. Not bad for a yellow belt. I can't remember the name my instructor gave that form. As years went by and I looked back on it, I realized he had thrown in some blue/green belt tech variations in that custom form. The judges were all from different styles, so I guess they were impressed enough.

- Ceicei

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
dmdfromhamilton said:
been a long time but how come nobody has used the ikca form? It looks awesome in my opinion.

That's your opinion. Um, my opinion is that hip bumps and head butts to the rear look dorky and won't win competitions.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
That's your opinion. Um, my opinion is that hip bumps and head butts to the rear look dorky and won't win competitions.
They may LOOK Dorky, but they are very effective. I still teach them to use in irregular situations, the whole body is a weapon you know, and oddly enough, you can use them on the ground effectively as well.

DarK LorD

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
They may LOOK Dorky, but they are very effective. I still teach them to use in irregular situations, the whole body is a weapon you know, and oddly enough, you can use them on the ground effectively as well.

DarK LorD

No argument here Clyde. I agree completely about the effectiveness of head butts (got my nose broken by a toddler once) and the importance of head placement and hip bumps on the ground.

But this thread is about forms in competition. And I stand firm in my position that the IKCA form looks dorky and is a bad choice for Kata competition.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I happen to like Long 3 quite a bit, partly because it is my strongest form, but also there is no flash in it whatsoever. I know none of the other forms are "flashy" like some ive seen. However IMO the techniques in 3 are the most brutally effective and very simple to show power. I know Long 4 is more rounded and contains all the concepts and principles of Kenpo where as the 3's are designed around grab attacks.

I feel that any form can be made a competition form. Good judges dont look for flashy stuff, they look for enthusiasim, proper techniqe and foot work, and definition of power.

The form you choose to do should reflect your skill/"belt" level. However I have seen a blue belt win his division with a very impressive Long 2.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed.

You might consider degree of difficulty as well. Given two performances displaying equal enthusiasm, proper technique and footwork, and definition of power, the more difficult Kata will deserve the higher score. And, it will be more interesting to watch. Certainly, 4 is more difficult than 3. 6 is more difficult than 4. And, while 6 is more difficult than 5 to perform, I would argue that 5 is more difficult to make pretty than 6 because of the complexity of footwork.

OP
B

BlackIce

Kenpo Greetings,
I actively compete on The N.B.L. circuit and The Kenpo / ploynesian division is a strange bird for the following reasons:
1. most of the judges are Jap. Karate or TKD.
2. Okinawian Kenpo froms are allowed ( but there is a Jap. / Oki. division)
3.We are supposed to do unaltered Kenpo,KaJuKenBo,Lima Lama,etc. Forms and that never happens.

What I do is Begin with The Creed into Finger Set into Long 2 enphasizing Speed and Power. Ialso exagerate the stances and perform it at an Off Rhythem. The rapid and accurate hand strikes win over alot of Traditoinal Judges. When Karate people judge Kenpo they expect to see speed and power regaurdless of the form so give them what they want. Let your hand speed be your FLASH!

Kenpo Salute​
Tyrone Tablada​

Southwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just competed at the Canadian Open Martial arts challenge last weekend and did Long 2, being the only Kenpo guy there I was pleased at winning third.

Latest Discussions