Community Service for Black Belts

Flashx80

White Belt
Reaction score
Does your martial art school implement community service for black belts? What are some ideas do you guys do? If the students are too young to participant events such as community service in their city, what other ideas do you do?

Let me know your thoughts.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does your martial art school implement community service for black belts? What are some ideas do you guys do? If the students are too young to participant events such as community service in their city, what other ideas do you do?

We have done similar for decades, but we do not limit it to black belts. We volunteer at our local rescue mission making/serving meals. We have quarterly trips to nursing homes, mainly for the kids. We are pretty involved with the civics in our town and regularly get involved in special events. And we to a Ton of stuff with our schools. TKD is an alternate PE curriculum for middle school and high school. It is a great feeder.
Check with your city government office to get ideas.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got mixed feelings on a requirement like this for black belt -- and some of it depends on the age of the candidate.

On one hand... what does any of it have to do with a martial arts school, whether youth or adult, commercial or club? Would you require the baseball team to volunteer? The company softball team to do community service? How far would that fly?

On the other hand, especially for youth focused programs that tout personal development and growth as a facet or service... or the places using it as school credit... OK, I get it more there, but still, I trip over how the two really connect.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not required no. But in the past have participated in community events and fundraisers. Normally a suggested general consensus.

MuayJitsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Pfft if a club I train at and pay money to train at tried to tell me I had to go do extra stuff outside of class id be telling them where to go and then I’d find a new club

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
You know I could see if it was a part of a final exam. Like, Shodan for us there is a review you have to write, an academic test and the physical portion as well.
However just as a general rule I wouldn't consider making something outside of class mandatory. However my students are donation based, so there really isn't a contract to owe either party. It's pay as you can what you can. Luxury of teaching on my own property.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We used to do this now and again. It wasn’t my idea, the students came up with it. It started with doing demos. Which, if done in the right way, can be good advertising for the dojo.

Then some of the demos became fundraisers for a family or a cause. Nobody had to participate, it was voluntary. It was kind of fun, the students did a good job. I was proud of them.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Pfft if a club I train at and pay money to train at tried to tell me I had to go do extra stuff outside of class id be telling them where to go and then I’d find a new club
Two things about my last club: promotion to the next grade had a training hours requirement, and all black belts taught. So training at the dojo was free for them.

In the two and a half years I trained there, there were no volunteer or community service activities that I can recall. Though, I can say with certainty that if there were, hours credit would have been given for it. For the black belts, I don't know if there are other stipulations behind their tuition being free. As I said, I can't recall there ever being community service activities. But if there were, you'd have to factor that in to whether or not you'd consider it a good deal.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t see what having a black belt in a martial art has to do with participating in community service any more than being club squash/tennis/gymnast/tiddilywinks champion.

I’d encourage anyone to participate in community service, but this is not a requirement for black belt nor should it be imposed by emotional coercion.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The YMCA charges people. Our program does not, and we have scholarships for people who need help with the YMCA charges. The whole program is a community service project, but nobody is required to participate.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The organization has community service requirements. Perhaps if the young person's family has a house of worship in the neighborhood or one they belong to they might have something. Animal shelters, charity fundraiser. Helping an elderly neighbor are possibilities,

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The organization has community service requirements. Perhaps if the young person's family has a house of worship in the neighborhood or one they belong to they might have something. Animal shelters, charity fundraiser. Helping an elderly neighbor are possibilities,
I'm not sure that this should be asked of minors. The first two things that will absolutely be required is for the parent to grant permission to the volunteer organization and to provide transportation. The third thing that may or may not be required (but likely is) is for the parent to be present the entire time. Whether or not these thing will happen is not within control of the minor who's trying to get that black belt.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whether or not these thing will happen is not within control of the minor who's trying to get that black belt.
How is this different than so many things the minor is not in control of to get the BB - Transportation, paying fees etc.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How is this different than so many things the minor is not in control of to get the BB - Transportation, paying fees etc.
Those are the only things the parents signed up for.

Last edited:

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've got mixed feelings on a requirement like this for black belt -- and some of it depends on the age of the candidate.

On one hand... what does any of it have to do with a martial arts school, whether youth or adult, commercial or club? Would you require the baseball team to volunteer? The company softball team to do community service? How far would that fly?

On the other hand, especially for youth focused programs that tout personal development and growth as a facet or service... or the places using it as school credit... OK, I get it more there, but still, I trip over how the two really connect.
Not a requirement at all. Purely on a volunteer basis. We try to promote the community but the extra-curriculars have nothing to do with a person's training or promoting.
I strongly believe any community or business that brings people together, no matter what the vehicle, should feel obligated to help others where they can.
There truly is strength in numbers.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious to know: regardless of age, are students made aware of this when they sign up? Or do they find out when they make brown belt?

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I strongly believe any community or business that brings people together, no matter what the vehicle, should feel obligated to help others where they can.
It's great that you feel obligated to help others. But as you said, it should be 100% voluntary. No one has the right to put such an obligation onto others. That decision is for each individual heart to make for themselves. Concerning the dojo, however, a certain loyalty should be forged as in any team, helping each other out.
Not a requirement at all. Purely on a volunteer basis. We try to promote the community but the extra-curriculars have nothing to do with a person's training or promoting.
The ideal nature of TMA (courage, perseverance, justice, virtue, etc.) fosters a sense of responsibility towards others. The godfather of Okinawan karate and true warrior, Matsumura, touched upon this in his later writings. The value of MA extends beyond fighting.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I wouldn’t require it. I would explain to students this way: if Our school is seen as supporting the community then the community will support us. Plain and simple. Be of value to the community and they will support our school

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Neither good or bad. Schools have the right to run their schools as they see fit. If they require public service, then folks can choose that school or go somewhere else. My school doesn’t require it, but does promote a charitable mindset.

Latest Discussions