Community Service for Black Belts

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this assuming that the students only do martial arts?
The children in our classes are Cubs and Brownies, do Cheer (as a sport not the dance stuff, it's different in UK it's nothing to do with sports or schools, our local Cheer club are fund raising currently for the girls picked to represent their country in World Championships) go to Army and RAF cadets, play football/cricket for county, compete in athletics, dance comps etc etc. Martial arts is a very small part of their lives, an hour and a half a week.
Adults mostly military, not going to be asking more of them.
As instructors martial arts is a bigger part of our lives, for those that compete even more so. I've not come across any club that mandates community service, we've got places that will collect toys for Christmas, run a fight night/demos for a specific charity etc. but martial arts are basically run just like any other sports club. Also 'community service' in the UK is what court mandated activities are called for those found guilty of criminal offences that don't usually need a custodial sentence 😁😁 (we usually say 'volunteering)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this assuming that the students only do martial arts?
The children in our classes are Cubs and Brownies, do Cheer (as a sport not the dance stuff, it's different in UK it's nothing to do with sports or schools, our local Cheer club are fund raising currently for the girls picked to represent their country in World Championships) go to Army and RAF cadets, play football/cricket for county, compete in athletics, dance comps etc etc. Martial arts is a very small part of their lives, an hour and a half a week.
Adults mostly military, not going to be asking more of them.
As instructors martial arts is a bigger part of our lives, for those that compete even more so. I've not come across any club that mandates community service, we've got places that will collect toys for Christmas, run a fight night/demos for a specific charity etc. but martial arts are basically run just like any other sports club. Also 'community service' in the UK is what court mandated activities are called for those found guilty of criminal offences that don't usually need a custodial sentence 😁😁 (we usually say 'volunteering)
Howdy, Też!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also 'community service' in the UK is what court mandated activities are called for those found guilty of criminal offences that don't usually need a custodial sentence 😁😁 (we usually say 'volunteering)
It was correctly referred to as ‘unpaid work’ when I was a magistrate. It was a useless sentence since the probation service just didn’t have the resources to supervise the activities and they were seldom imposed as prescribed. I favoured electronic tagging and punitive periods of restriction 😈 As magistrates we used to say that tagging and having to stay at home would be useless for us older people as we liked to stayed at home all the time anyway 😄

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was correctly referred to as ‘unpaid work’ when I was a magistrate. It was a useless sentence since the probation service just didn’t have the resources to supervise the activities and they were seldom imposed as prescribed. I favoured electronic tagging and punitive periods of restriction 😈 As magistrates we used to say that tagging and having to stay at home would be useless for us older people as we liked to stayed at home all the time anyway 😄
We hated being told to go to your room or to go to bed early when we were children but now it would be a great treat. 😁

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
We hated being told to go to your room or to go to bed early when we were children but now it would be a great treat. 😁
I knew I was going to have a physically hard day today to that is exactly what I did last night. :cool:

Latest Discussions