What do you do when you cant train?

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Say either you sustained a minor injury(what I'm going through right now) or for whatever reason you can't squeeze in even a quick training session. What do you do to stay active and keep your mind active so your skills don't decline?

Me personally I have a few things I do in situations like this. If I injured my upper body I will work my lower body. If I injured lower I'll work upper. If I need to rest to heal I do some virtual training, either watching instructional stuff or studying fights and styles. Even though it's not true, in dragon the bruce lee story when he broke his back and couldn't train he wrote a book on fighting and when he healed up he still had some skill. He kept his mind in the dojo even though he couldn't physically train. In situations like that I think doing things like that are good to keep your fighting mind in shape. So what do you guys do when either injured and can't train or not able to train, what do you do in situations like this as a martial artist?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- Your right hand can fight your left hand. Your right hand grabs your left wrist, your left arm tries to break it.

- Your right leg can sweep your left leg - use your instep to sweep behind your ankle.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Say either you sustained a minor injury(what I'm going through right now) or for whatever reason you can't squeeze in even a quick training session. What do you do to stay active and keep your mind active so your skills don't decline?

Me personally I have a few things I do in situations like this. If I injured my upper body I will work my lower body. If I injured lower I'll work upper. If I need to rest to heal I do some virtual training, either watching instructional stuff or studying fights and styles. Even though it's not true, in dragon the bruce lee story when he broke his back and couldn't train he wrote a book on fighting and when he healed up he still had some skill. He kept his mind in the dojo even though he couldn't physically train. In situations like that I think doing things like that are good to keep your fighting mind in shape. So what do you guys do when either injured and can't train or not able to train, what do you do in situations like this as a martial artist?
I go to the dojo and watch. I help junior students perform their kata and exercises by watching and instructing them.

Shugendeshi09

White Belt
Reaction score

I haven’t trained in a number of years but when I was actively training I had a few periods where I couldn’t train for an extended period of time. What I would do in those instances is practice with the rokushaku bo. To do it correctly takes proper footwork which is the most important aspect of martial arts. My instructor had often noted that most of the time my skills had improved when I returned after a long time away from formal training.

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I miss out trainings I try to regularly do some minimum stretching, pushups and hand gripper training. It at least gives the upper body, hands and arms some excercise and gets your pulse up at least for a bried moment. That little things makes a big difference compare to do doing nothing.

Otherwise I take every opportunity to simulated karate moves in daily routines: Why just turn on the coffe machine as usually when you can do it with a quick strike hitting the button with one knuckle, doing is fast while avoiding damage the machine is the challenge, close the refridgerator with a (slow) spinning kick or an elbow strike, fast but without buckling the door, and break any ice/snow block in sight with heel kicks while walking the dog, train blocks in front of the mirror while brushig my teeth, I try to open doors with my knees, the list goes on etc. But I suspect many doing MA does all of this anyway wether you goto class or not. So even if I don't attend classes I keep MA in mind.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I go to the dojo and watch. I help junior students perform their kata and exercises by watching and instructing them.
This is a great idea and know as ‘mitori geiko’ (looking practise) in the Japanese martial arts. Science backs technique up because watching, visualising and analysing other people performing movements, fires up ones ‘mirror neurones’ and activates areas of the brain in a similar way to actually doing the movement. Thus the neural pathways involved in performing your art’s movement are kept active, ‘lubricated’ and ready to be re-engaged once you’re fit again. Look for appropriate videos online…it’s so easy these days.

I’d also scour the Internet for rehabilitation advice and exercises for the injury I have, in order to regain some semblance of control and possibly hasten the healing process.

Finally, I reduce my calorie intake while I’m not being active. There’s nothing worse than piling on the kilograms while resting and then spending the first few months of ones return to training trying to shed thowe kilos!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Walks mostly.
20240128_095259.jpg
20240128_095236.jpg

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a great idea and know as ‘mitori geiko’ (looking practise) in the Japanese martial arts. Science backs technique up because watching, visualising and analysing other people performing movements, fires up ones ‘mirror neurones’ and activates areas of the brain in a similar way to actually doing the movement. Thus the neural pathways involved in performing your art’s movement are kept active, ‘lubricated’ and ready to be re-engaged once you’re fit again. Look for appropriate videos online…it’s so easy these days.

I’d also scour the Internet for rehabilitation advice and exercises for the injury I have, in order to regain some semblance of control and possibly hasten the healing process.

Finally, I reduce my calorie intake while I’m not being active. There’s nothing worse than piling on the kilograms while resting and then spending the first few months of ones return to training trying to shed thowe kilos!
I'm doubly fortunate because one of our long-time sensei is a physical therapist for his day job. He's a great guy and has helped us all out numerous times.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I stop training and focus on healing. I find that I can recover from an injury much faster by doing this. I've had enough injuries in my life to say that I learned the hard way. It's just better to stop training and heal. Minor injuries however vary. It just depends on what I'm thinking of as minor. In the past there were some things that I thought were minor but turned out to be larger issues. Bruises are minor for me and I'll still train but I won't do contact. Anything else is probably going to be time off.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna watch some kickboxing fights and study them tonight. When I wrote this post I had some minor tendinitis in my shoulder. 3 days later I got bronchitis. I think the universe wants me to be a lover and not a fighter. Whenever my training gets serious after a couple months of regular training I either get a minor injury or something stupid like bronchitis. Last year in October 2 weeks before my belt test in tkd I had covid. It's weird.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna watch some kickboxing fights and study them tonight. When I wrote this post I had some minor tendinitis in my shoulder. 3 days later I got bronchitis. I think the universe wants me to be a lover and not a fighter. Whenever my training gets serious after a couple months of regular training I either get a minor injury or something stupid like bronchitis. Last year in October 2 weeks before my belt test in tkd I had covid. It's weird.
Not really. You're doing something in a confined space that results in people breathing heavily and coughing, with people who may or may not be vaccinated. What's weird about getting sick in such an environment?

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Unless one is confined to a bed, I think MA can still be practiced in some form in most cases (maybe less so for grappling arts). Bad leg? Practice hands. Bad arm? Practice footwork. Other problems? Slow and easy kata. Where there's a will, there's a way. As Bill and Gyakuto noted, teaching, analyzing others and visualization can be most helpful and give further insights. Reading MA subjects, comparing on-line videos and other mental exercises can be done, even if bedridden.

But taking a few weeks off won't hurt any serious practitioner. Getting back into the groove won't take any longer. In the meantime, having your significant other waiting hand on foot on you and baking cookies should be milked for as long as possible. (I think this last one was mentioned somewhere in The Bubishi.)

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. You're doing something in a confined space that results in people breathing heavily and coughing, with people who may or may not be vaccinated. What's weird about getting sick in such an environment?
I’ve noted how many people walk around and cough without covering their nose and mouth. Someone, the other day, coughed as they were talking to me, face to face, without breaking their sentence…twice!

Poor parenting….

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do think it increases the odds, but I believe we can be just about anywhere and catch most any bug out there.
I am around livestock in confined spaces quite often. I do think the environment leads to a higher chance of sickness. Not necessarily from Zoonotics, but from the waste and subsequent parasites and the inevitable blood and internal fluids I am around sometimes.
Drug resistance is a big deal in domestic animals. I believe humans are included, and the lack of exposure we have seen the last 3-4 years is a Bad thing. Just MHO.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Latest Discussions