"combat" hkd... sry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't see how GM P's statement is revolutionary. It mimics BL's and it was made well after BL's. The earth isn't flat and we revolve around the Sun - there I said it. Deal :p

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is quite obviously revolutionary because it evoke such a response from traditional hapkido practitioners. If you didn't think it was revolutionary, would we be having this conversation?

I think that the comparison to the shape of the earth is a bit difference. Particularly when both of those statements were made in an effort to "justify" or futher explain the actions that the men took. It is quite obvious that people still believe that all of the traditional stuff is necessary or useful (myself included, I practice two traditional styles and the traditional part is what I like the most), therefore, saying the opposite is still revolutionary.

Take for example if during the first American Revoluation, only a small portion of the colonies had gained independence, like...a single state. Then 40 years later, someone started a new revolution. I would think that is a better comparison if that's what you're going for.

In both cases though, they created something that is useful to the people who practice it and something that people like. So let them like it - JKD hasn't "stolen" anyone away from Wing Chun and they've gotten over it. JKD has proven itself. CHKD may very well do the same 20 years from now.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it revolutionary because nothing GM P is saying is new.

So I don't think the analogy holds water - So every martial art seeming can have a their own revolution? BL statement was applicable across the board no just for Wing Chun. Cross training is hardly a new concept that predates BL in the modern area as well.Self Defense classes based on MAs but not the full MAs isn't new either.

I thinks BL's message was to look at what you are doing critically and don't get caught up in the trappings. (his "classical mess") Also BL didn't say he was revising WC - his for the totality of MAs. Much broader than "I'm making a better self defense system out of this outdated one" He was more inline with the zeitgeist of the time - "free yourself"

For me this isn't a turf war or about stealing anyone if people like spending their money on this - it's their money - I think they are just misguided - I think there is too much bad HKD out there as it is - TKD "add on", distance learning etc. So I think less people doing better HKD is more desirable than more people doing bad HKD. Making it easier for broad consumption is a problem imo not a solution to a problem. So I find the statement more silly than inspiring esp in light of calling his art a "do" and removing the "do" aspects. He seems more Carnie barker then revolutionary. Obviously others differ.

OP
goingd

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Lee had above acceptable foot work. He could show what he claimed to know and then some, from Wing Chun to his own Jeet Kun Do. Bruce Lee believed in low kicks, but his high kicks were outstanding. He did not buy his way into rank.

There is a difference between something that is positively revolution and something that is negatively revolutionary. Revolutionary War, not so great. All I can say is Combat Hapkido is a misguided concept in my opinion. Honestly I would have been more pleased if Pelligrini had promoted himself and gave his system a name other than Hapkido - but that probably would not have sold.

.... ^~^

Father Greek

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Lee had above acceptable foot work. He could show what he claimed to know and then some, from Wing Chun to his own Jeet Kun Do. Bruce Lee believed in low kicks, but his high kicks were outstanding. He did not buy his way into rank.

There is a difference between something that is positively revolution and something that is negatively revolutionary. Revolutionary War, not so great. All I can say is Combat Hapkido is a misguided concept in my opinion. Honestly I would have been more pleased if Pelligrini had promoted himself and gave his system a name other than Hapkido - but that probably would not have sold.

.... ^~^
As a long time practitioner of Combat Hapkido, I would like to thank you for helping me see the way! After taking several of GMP's high kicks and being treated like a puppet on a string during one of his flow drills, I now see that it was nothing but smoke and mirrors. I will now begin to spread the word to the many members of the Military and Law Enforcement communities that depend on the skills that they were taught by GMP, that what they learned is suspect and should not rely on them. Thanks again for making my path clear!

Father Greek

Green Belt
Reaction score
As for being off topic, it is clear that the OP wants to take this direction so in this case I do not feel bad.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As for being off topic, it is clear that the OP wants to take this direction so in this case I do not feel bad.

The original post did seem kind of trollish, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. . .unfortunately.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As a long time practitioner of Combat Hapkido, I would like to thank you for helping me see the way! After taking several of GMP's high kicks and being treated like a puppet on a string during one of his flow drills, I now see that it was nothing but smoke and mirrors. I will now begin to spread the word to the many members of the Military and Law Enforcement communities that depend on the skills that they were taught by GMP, that what they learned is suspect and should not rely on them. Thanks again for making my path clear!

Flow drills aren't HKD - kind of confusing the map for the territory.

BTW why is throwing high kicks? (in light of his statement n' all)

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The original post did seem kind of trollish, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. . .unfortunately.

The whole thread is an anti-CHK troll, a "this style isn't as good as mine" exercise. And I had just gotten a 4th dan Okinawan stylist i know and respect to join this site because we didn't do that here.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Chatting with only people that agree with you isn't a discussion - it's Groupthink or a pep rally.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As was categorizing the whole thread as trollish. Thanks for your addition to conversation - very insightful.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thread locked pending staff review.

Users are gently urged to review sections 1.1, 1.10.2 and 1.10.3 of the Rules while the staff reviews the thread.
1.1 Basic Rules

Welcome to Martial Talk. This is an open forum for the friendly discussion of martial arts. We welcome all seekers of knowledge to engage in mature conversation.

To participate in our online forums, you must agree to abide by our rules and policies. We encourage active debate and free speech, but remember you are our guest here. Civil and ethical conduct is required. To this end, you agree that, if asked, you will yield to the requests of the forum moderators and/or administrators. By posting, you have agreed to follow our policies.

General Rules:
· No Flame Wars. Keep it civil, please.
· Keep the language civil. No profanity.
· Please post to the correct forum, for a reason and on topic. Do not cross post to multiple forums.
· Be respectful of the other arts, and your fellow members.
· No Advertising except in the advertising forums
· If you have a problem with another member, contact a moderator to handle it.
· Take the time to explore the Help, FAQ and User CP.

The "basic rule" is in effect for discussions on MartialTalk.com:

Treat others, as you would wish to be treated. We ask that you be professional and polite to one other and respect our intention to have a forum for the friendly discussion of the martial arts. We do not wish to censor or control your opinions, but we will ensure that the policies of the board are respected. We reserve the right to delete, edit, or move/merge posts at our discretion. (Note in particular that we have restrictions on where you may post advertising and how many times you may post the same message.) If you have any questions regarding such an action, or wish to point out a violation of the letter or spirit of our policies, we ask that you please notify a moderator or administrator.

A member who is rude, excessively negative, or disruptive may receive a warning or may be suspended or banned immediately. Suspending and banning is done at the discretion of the administration team. Any abuse directed at our all-volunteer moderation/administration team, including defying the moderators/administrators to suspend or ban a member, may result in an immediate suspension or ban. Membership on MartialTalk is a privilege, not a right.

MartialTalk cannot and does not attempt to verify the accuracy of information posted by its members. All posts reflect the opinion of the poster.

Moderators and administrators are posting their own personal opinions unless their post is signed "-MT Mod(erator)" or "-MT Admin(istrator)".

Enjoy MartialTalk! We truly believe that it is the best general-purpose martial arts discussion board on the Web. Your respect for our rules, and the valuable content and opinions you provide, will help keep it that way.

We may at any time revise these terms and conditions without notice. Please check regularly.

Continued use of MartialTalk.com after a change has been made is your acceptance of the change.

Thank you,
The MartialTalk Moderation Team.

Please see the specific policy sections for specific policies.
1.10.2 No Art bashing.

No one art is "the best", no one "style" is the best. All have their strengths and weaknesses. Do your research and find what best fits your ability and need.

1.10.3 No Individual Bashing / Fraud Busting.

It is not our mission to out and expose frauds or decide who "sucks". Such discussions rarely lead anywhere other than to headaches, and lawsuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions