John
"Higher consciousness through darker roast Java"

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are very welcome Brother John. Anything for someone in pursuit of higher Java consciousness. :D

Lisa

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You might say that I am biased here...

But my uncle owns a coffee company. (Not a Coffee shop... a Coffee company.)

Sorry to say, Starbucks and Carabou dont hold water when it comes to coffee... I think the awards he's won over their coffee speak for that.

Overpriced coffees like Gevalia are ok, I suppose. But why pay that much, when quailty coffee is still affordable?

Oh, and Brother John, French press coffee is the way to go man.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You might say that I am biased here...

But my uncle owns a coffee company. (Not a Coffee shop... a Coffee company.)

Sorry to say, Starbucks and Carabou dont hold water when it comes to coffee... I think the awards he's won over their coffee speak for that.

Overpriced coffees like Gevalia are ok, I suppose. But why pay that much, when quailty coffee is still affordable?

Oh, and Brother John, French press coffee is the way to go man.

so...what coffee does he make?

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
A french press is seen below and is a way of making supposedly superior coffee!

Meh...french-pressed coffee is overrated. I get perfectly good coffee from my automatic drip coffee maker.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hee hee hee. I feel like a kid in a candy shop! :D

I am doing some online purchasing tomorrow! WhooHoo! :D

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not just bolder, but also "thicker" if that makes sense to you.

Jeff

yes. Its like more of the oil from the beans is in the water or somthing. I would have said "heavier" but thicker works

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My favorite has long been pure Kona (the only coffee grown in America!). It often comes down to how well it is roasted, and the most consistant broker I've found is GAVINA:

http://www.gavina.com/Catalog_Prodcoffeehouses.asp

I order the pure Kona fancy, whole beans in the 5 lb. bag. A bit pricey but 5 lbs. lasts quite a while, and I find I drink less coffee when I'm enjoying one that really satisfies my cravings.

For a more pedestrian variety, I prefer Seattle's Best to Starbuck's, any day.

http://www.seattlesbest.com/

Best regards...

-GARRY

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, you guy's are really coffee experts. Myself I am just happy to have any coffee. The high priced Mocha etc. are just treats for once in awhile. Like I have said before I will drink any coffee and lot's of it as long as it is not to old or has mold.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, you guy's are really coffee experts. Myself I am just happy to have any coffee. The high priced Mocha etc. are just treats for once in awhile. Like I have said before I will drink any coffee and lot's of it as long as it is not to old or has mold.

Haha.

My friends give me crap about this, because I have all this good coffee in my house, an Auto Drip, a French Press and an Expresso machine, and I still like to go for the cheap machine coffee from the 7-11 on the corner.

:)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haha.

My friends give me crap about this, because I have all this good coffee in my house, an Auto Drip, a French Press and an Expresso machine, and I still like to go for the cheap machine coffee from the 7-11 on the corner.

:)

Nothing wrong with those cheap machine 7-11 coffee's! :ultracool

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nice site. I noticed, though, that they say that your minimum order has to be 40 lbs! Will they ship in smaller quantities, such as the 5 lb bag?

I checked with Headquarters (my wife), and she informs me that the coffee is from GAVINA, but we order it through a subsidiary broker called Don Francisco's. I believe their web site is down, but you can call them at (800) 697-5282 and order via phone, which is apparently what we're doing. Happy brewing!

-GARRY

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
COFFEE!!!!! Where's my coffee ... oh wait. It's right here in front of me hehehehe.

Seriously, though. I am a coffee nut. I love my coffee. I came from NJ, and I used to buy my coffee here http://www.wawa.com/foodchoices/food-coffee.asp . Best coffee, to me that is. People from the area,
know what I'm talking about ;) That's my first stop when I get home to NJ to visit family. It's always fresh (read their page. It's a rule of theirs), hot and yummy. I always buy bags of this coffee to bring home to NY.

Anyways, for NY coffee, we have a Tim Hortons in my area. Not bad. I like Dunkin Donut coffee, also. But my fav coffee is Green Mountian http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/ (we buy it whole bean and grind it ourselves). Comes out of Vermont, but we can get it locally. And a local place called David's Coffee Roasters out of Rochester. But I don't have a web page for it. I buy it from a local gas station near work.

I hate Starbucks coffee. I'm not a big fan of burnt coffee ... I mean, dark roast coffee. And that's exactly what it tastes like to me, coffee that has been sitting on the burner for more than an hour .... gross. But some of you out there like it, so I'll save it for you guys and gals ;)

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So many opinions ... Wow.

Starbucks is criminal - charging 3 bucks for a cup of coffee is obscene. But, I own SBUX.

Gloria Jeans is mezzo-mezzo.

I despise Tim Horton's. Don't understand how anyone can drink it ... and their donuts suck too. When I travel to Canada, I am stuck with TH. Grrr.

Seattle's Best isn't bad.

Dunkin Donuts is pretty good - but it's now $1.80 for a medium black around me (cheaper as you move South).

But, for every day drinking ... we buy 5 pounds of Ethiopian Yrgacheff from CoffeeAM.com about once a month. It is, quite simply, the best cup of coffee in the world. We've bought some Yrgacheff from the local roaster ... and it was disappointing compared to CoffeeAM.

www.coffeeam.com

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I'm desperate, I'll drink instant coffee...

Do any of you guys know where I can find a support group?

Latest Discussions