Coffee!!!!!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have noticed that we have quite a few coffee connoisseurs on this board. I know this from the amount that this smilie gets used.

:caffeine:

In an effort to refine my addiction to the hightest level I am in pursuit of the best cup of coffee. Lately I have been drinking Tim Horton's, which is great, but I have to wonder if there is something else out there. Something I have not yet tried.

So, what is it people? Who makes the perfect bean for the perfect cup of coffee? Include a link please if it is bought online.

Thanks.

Lisa (yes I am addicted and proud of it!)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You've already got my opinion on the bean.

But I can't stress enough the method. Drip is OK, Vacuum is excellent, but using a french press is the best!!

Jeff

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to drink Starbuck's only......then I found Caribou

http://www.cariboucoffee.com

Much better, IMO, and the employees actually remember you and your favorite drink (as opposed to the Starbuck's in my area, where you just get attitude).

If you really want the best, buy and store the beans whole in an airtight container, and grind a couple of days worth at a time, and brew your own.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love a good cup coffee. However, it is a taste vs price thing. Here at the office, our company pays for Starbucks coffee. At home I typically buy the eight O Clock coffee, either 100% Columbian or French Roast. I prefer dark roast beans.

I enjoy the coffee shop coffee such as Barnies and Starbucks.

I often get the beans and grind them myself as needed at home or I may grind them at the store before bringing it home.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You've already got my opinion on the bean.

But I can't stress enough the method. Drip is OK, Vacuum is excellent, but using a french press is the best!!

Jeff

Well share it with everyone else Jeff!

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
I drink coffee, any coffee - it tasting great is a plus. But even if it tasted like gasoline I'd still drink it. My local Tim Hortons know how I take my coffee and they start making it before I even get to the cashier.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That is a very good point. The method affects the taste, there is no doubt. At home I have a drip coffee maker that also has the expresso maker as well. However, the taste is significantly different when used in a perculator. I don't think I have tried French press.

However, another issue is over heating the coffee. After being prepared, the coffee doesn't last very long before it gets what I call "burned". Typically, if the pot of coffee has been sitting for longer than 1 hour or maybe 1.5 hours on the hot plate, the taste changes significantly, it gets a burned taste to it. Alot people think that letting it set there makes it get stronger. It doesn't, it just gets burned and tastes NASTY. Here at the office, I will sniff the pot before pouring if it is around half way empty, if I detect any of that burned smell I will dump it and make a fresh pot. I refuse to drink that slop. ;)

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
However, another issue is over heating the coffee. After being prepared, the coffee doesn't last very long before it gets what I call "burned". Typically, if the pot of coffee has been sitting for longer than 1 hour or maybe 1.5 hours on the hot plate, the taste changes significantly, it gets a burned taste to it. Alot people think that letting it set there makes it get stronger. It doesn't, it just gets burned and tastes NASTY. Here at the office, I will sniff the pot before pouring if it is around half way empty, if I detect any of that burned smell I will dump it and make a fresh pot. I refuse to drink that slop. ;)

You bring up a very good point. I absolutely hate old coffee. I would much rather make a few "small" pots then drink old sludge. There is nothing more gross. Ick.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I drink coffee, any coffee - it tasting great is a plus. But even if it tasted like gasoline I'd still drink it. My local Tim Hortons know how I take my coffee and they start making it before I even get to the cashier.

You know you are an addict when....;)

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally I get my caffeine from Pepsi, but my wife LOVES coffee. While living in Michigan we found this small coffee place in Glen Arbor and she loves their coffee more than anything. Canadians please turn away from the screen for 2 seconds..... even better than Tim Hortons she says. I know blasphemy! Her favorite non-flavored are Lakers Blend and Isle Royal Sunrise. Favorite flavored are Manitou Blueberry and Leelanau Cherry. Their website is Coffeeguys.com

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gloria Jeans was always a favorite place of mine. Starbucks, Tim Horton's are all great as well. However, all coffee is good in my book (hot or cold) except if it has mold growing in it.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had some really good coffee from Gevalia. It was one of those "Buy a $29.99 lb of coffee, get a free coffee maker" deals. I still have the Gevalia coffee maker (yes, Jeff...it's a drip one), but I can't afford $30 coffee.

I can't stand Starbucks. Too strong - yuck! I have this big container of Maxwell House (or Folger's, one of those two), and the as-before-mentioned big container of Tim Horton's that I bought in Toronto. My choice of coffee when I'm out is Dunkin' Donuts or Cosi. I actually prefer Cosi's coffee, but Dunkin' Donuts is more convenient, since there is one along the way to my job.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd suggest staying away from Tim Horton's. I have threorized that there is crack in that coffee. That's the only explanation that I can find for the perpetual lineups at both the drive thrus and inside. They're slowly getting everyone addicted and forcing them to wait in long lines to satisfy their cravings.

Personally, I start every day with a pot of Folgers. Then, at work, there's a coffee machine that requires no money. We get together numerous times a day.

My preference is percolated, but I don't have a percolator. It takes way too much time to mess around with, anyway.

If I don't get coffee ASAP in the morning, I cannot go out in public, as I'm generally considered to be an anti-social menace prior to my second cup. I'm really not kidding. I cannot interact with people in a pleasant fashion without having had ingested a minimum of 2 cups of coffee in the morning. That's why I can't let myself get addicted to that damn Tim Horton's crack. I certainly do not need to exacerbate my problem by throwing a new addictive substance and frustrating line ups with stupid people and the waiting and the anger. :tantrum:

No, I'll stick to my Folgers.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd suggest staying away from Tim Horton's. I have threorized that there is crack in that coffee. That's the only explanation that I can find for the perpetual lineups at both the drive thrus and inside. They're slowly getting everyone addicted and forcing them to wait in long lines to satisfy their cravings.

LMAO Flatlander...I here ya and I agree! I think there has to be crack in the coffee. Why else would people wait in line for 15 minutes to get a cup!

But it has sucked me in unfortunately. I stop and wait in line every morning on my way to work...I need a twelve step program!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LMAO Flatlander...I here ya and I agree! I think there has to be crack in the coffee. Why else would people wait in line for 15 minutes to get a cup!

But it has sucked me in unfortunately. I stop and wait in line every morning on my way to work...I need a twelve step program!

Geesh with a wait time like that you actually *must* factor it into your commute time! HAHAHA :rofl:

I can see it now... "sorry boss, I was stuck in traffic... at Tim Horton's" :D

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Geesh with a wait time like that you actually *must* factor it into your commute time! HAHAHA :rofl:

Don't laugh Bigshadow, I have said that on more then one occasion! :lfao:

Or, I will get to work and say "gee, I wish I would have stopped for a Timmy's" and my boss will send me back out for it!

Guess she would rather I have the coffee then not!

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The sick thing is, the boss will understand this to be a legitimate reason. "Oh, I understand. I was late too. No problem, though, I got my TIM HORTONS CRACKFEE!! RRRRAAAAAARRRRRR!!!!" *spittle on chin, beating chest, eyes wild*

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The sick thing is, the boss will understand this to be a legitimate reason. "Oh, I understand. I was late too. No problem, though, I got my TIM HORTONS CRACKFEE!! RRRRAAAAAARRRRRR!!!!" *spittle on chin, beating chest, eyes wild*

LMAO! Yes! I not only have sick time, I have "get Tim's" time as well. It is written in my agreement! :D

Latest Discussions